Stair calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stair calculations

I want to build a set of stairs to replace a vertical rung ladder on a stand I have in place. Height to the porch is 11 feet, can someone tell me how to determine the stringer length?

Google stair calculator

Comment

Standard riser height for stairs is 7" so 11 divided by 7" (.58) is 18.97. Round up so you'll have 19 risers. If you use 6" wide treads the base of stairs would be 9.5 ft away from stand (19 risers x 6"). From here you use the formula A squared plus B squared = C squared.

11 feet squared + 9.5 feet squared = stringer squared

To solve you want the square root of 11 feet squared + 9.5 feet squared

Stringer would be 14.53 or 14'-6 7/16 based on 6" wide treads. You can calculate if you want wider treads.
      Last edited by Ohio Darin; 09-12-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
        Standard riser height for stairs is 7" so 11 divided by 7" (.58) is 18.97. Round up so you'll have 19 risers. If you use 6" wide treads the base of stairs would be 9.5 ft away from stand (19 risers x 6"). From here you use the formula A squared plus B squared = C squared.

Stringer would be 14.53 or 14'-6 7/16 based on 6" wide treads. You can calculate if you want wider treads.
        Thanks!

Comment

I was always taught 7/11

As close as you can get to a 7” riser height, and an 11” tread...

Based on that and a handy stair calculator this is what I came up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I will stick with 2x6 treads for this project since it is just a deer stand, not something we will be walking everyday.

Another question, I know 2x12"s are typically used for risers but finding a 2x12x16' or even a 2x10x16' treated isn't looking good. I guess I could go with non treated and just paint them if I have too but would rather use treated. Is a 2x8 big enough for stringer material using 6" treads?

Thinking 3 stringers, steps 24-30" wide and using a couple of 4x4 post to support the steps about half way between the stand and bottom of the ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              I think I will stick with 2x6 treads for this project since it is just a deer stand, not something we will be walking everyday.

Another question, I know 2x12"s are typically used for risers but finding a 2x12x16' or even a 2x10x16' treated isn't looking good. I guess I could go with non treated and just paint them if I have too but would rather use treated. Is a 2x8 big enough for stringer material using 6" treads?

Thinking 3 stringers, steps 24-30" wide and using a couple of 4x4 post to support the steps about half way between the stand and bottom of the ladder.
              Do you weld at all? Something metal is going to outlast and be stronger in the end.

I have built stairs for some of my blinds using 6” C purlins. It fairly light weight for steel. Just another option. Here is a pic, it’s not very detailed but you get the idea. Invert the purlin for stringers Nd cut the purlins for treads. You will need to put friction strips on them for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post

Dude went a pulled out Pythagorean's theorem on is. [emoji848]

Comment

I'd lay it out on the shop floor, mess it up, cut to fit on site, and have one step that was different from all the rest.

Comment

I agree with Sendit. Metal is the way to go if you weld at all. I use a ladder/stair hybrid. Round rungs with angle iron stingers but at a slope between a traditional stair and a vertical ladder.

If you stick to 24" wide the 2x8 would be cutting it close. You'll probably need sister another 2x8 to each stinger to stiffen it up. All depends on how much flex you can tolerate

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I'd lay it out on the shop floor, mess it up, cut to fit on site, and have one step that was different from all the rest.

This but I’m a pro.... split the difference across the last 3 steps

Comment

This is exactly how I'd do it.

Comment

Sounds like the stairs in my parents house that were an afterthought for an extra bedroom. I can still remember waking up to the sound of my dad rolling down the stairs after missing that short step 2nd from the top! It happened on more than one occasion.

Comment

Exactly how I did mine! Lol

Comment

we just made these. platform was 6', so we decided 8' was good for the uprights. Leaned them against the platform, cut an angle on top and bottom of uprights and just started screwing steps to them. Just eyeballed it and screwed the steps on. Actually making stringers was way more calculating and work than i wanted to do for a deer stand...lol
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X