• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this today.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    Caveats: NONE

All,

As of November 30, 2013 you all have harvested 34 does and 5 bucks, plenty of tags remaining. Remember we were issued 80 doe tags and 25 buck tags. Thank you all for being patient with me, since Jean (my counterpart) has retired my time with the hunting program is limited. Please feel free to email questions or concerns, I will get to them as soon as I can.

Thank you! Happy Holidays!

Stacy A. McLaughlin
    Lake Georgetown
    US Army Corps of Engineers
    Fort Worth District
    Administrative Support Assistant
    (512) 930-2283

Comment

Now to find a nice buck.

I shot me doe Tuesday night before Thanksgiving right at dark, it got too dark to track her and it was cold, so I let her lay. Something had a nice meal over night, pigs, coyotes, ???

Missed the vitals from about 45 yards with my xbow, but it broke her front leg and pretty sure she pulled the arrow since the nock end was all chewed up when I found it. Should have had a better shot, but I think it may have got deflected on a dead tree in front of her that I did not see when I shot.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

66 lb, 3.5 years old. The check in guy over in Russel was a real nice guy.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike View Post
        I shot me doe Tuesday night before Thanksgiving right at dark, it got too dark to track her and it was cold, so I let her lay. Something had a nice meal over night, pigs, coyotes, ???

Missed the vitals from about 45 yards with my xbow, but it broke her front leg and pretty sure she pulled the arrow since the nock end was all chewed up when I found it. Should have had a better shot, but I think it may have got deflected on a dead tree in front of her that I did not see when I shot.

It got too dark to track her and it was cold. Really? Do we not owe it to the animal that we are hunting to try to make a recovery? I mean, they make flashlights for the dark and jackets for the cold.

I know that I am going to catch hell and get jumped on for my post, but if it is too cold and too dark to even BEGIN to start the track, maybe it was too dark to shoot, especially if you could not see the branch in front of the deer when you shot.

I just think that is being irresponsible as a hunter, and before you ask if I have been in your shoes, the answer is YES. I shot a deer and had to track. It was dark, cold, and raining. I called Dad for help and we could not find it. So, I went home and got on here and found a person who had a dog in the area. He came out and we found the deer. Hell, it was 10 pm, raining, cold, and I had to carry the deer about a mile over my shoulders. Did not get done skinning and washing until around 12 pm. Am I high and mighty for that? Absolutely not. Am I a more responsible hunter for doing that? Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
          I know that I am going to catch hell and get jumped on for my post, but if it is too cold and too dark to even BEGIN to start the track, maybe it was too dark to shoot, especially if you could not see the branch in front of the deer when you shot.
          Very true

Comment

Wow, some pretty harsh critics that were not there, that do not know the facts.

Every good hunter knows that when you shoot, you sit and wait at least 30 minutes before you get up and search. THIS IS WHAT I DID, IT WAS NOT TOO DARK TO SHOOT, DID I SAY I SHOT THE DEER IN THE DARK? If you jump up and start tracking immediately, you will chase a wounded deer, or don't you know that?

I DID find blood after letting her sit for 30 minutes, not very heavy, not consistent and did not want to keep pushing a wounded deer.

You hunt and recover the way you want to and I will evaluate my situations and do what I think is responsible and smart. I have over 30 years of hunting experience with 20 of it in Michigan. You have no idea what cold and snow is and what my experiences are, and yet you think you can criticize my decisions.

Thanks for making ASSumptions and you are so manly in the cold and rain. woohoo for you.

Comment

You may want to add a scope to your xbow it will help seeing trees at 45 yards right at dark

Comment

Every good hunter knows that when you shoot, you sit and wait at least 30 minutes before you get up and search. THIS IS WHAT I DID, IT WAS NOT TOO DARK TO SHOOT, DID I SAY I SHOT THE DEER IN THE DARK? If you jump up and start tracking immediately, you will chase a wounded deer, or don't you know that?

I DID find blood after letting her sit for 30 minutes, not very heavy, not consistent and did not want to keep pushing a wounded deer.

You hunt and recover the way you want to and I will evaluate my situations and do what I think is responsible and smart. I have over 30 years of hunting experience with 20 of it in Michigan. You have no idea what cold and snow is and what my experiences are, and yet you think you can criticize my decisions.

Thanks for making ASSumptions and you are so manly in the cold and rain. woohoo for you.
                Im with you on this one. If its cold outside that's the perfect time to let a deer lie overnight, especially on a questionable shot. Better to let them sit overnight than to push a wounded animal and never find it. No spoilage when its cold and its a lot easier to find them in daylight with minimal blood. All you lost was a half a shoulder to a scavenger. I say contrats and good call!

Comment

You are right. I was not there, but I was going on what you said. TOO dark and TOO cold to start the track. Not my words, but yours. That was your reason for not starting the track.

And yes, you said you shot the deer "right at dark". Again, your words. Go read your original post.

Again, you said it was TOO dark and TOO cold to search. You did not mention that you sat and waited for 30 minutes to start. You never even alluded to the fact that you began the search. You said it was TOO dark and TOO cold to START the search.

Never said I was "manly" for tracking and RECOVERING in the rain. I just said I was a more responsible for hunter and I learned something from that track and RECOVERY.

I was making my ASSumptions on what you said. Maybe you should tell the whole story the first time, so people dont make ASSumptions about your post.

And I will hunt and make sure my shot is clean, before I take it. I will make sure there is no "twig" in my shooting lane, that my bullet or arrow can hit.
                  Last edited by HUNTING_COACH; 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

You guys are funny!
                    Congrats on your doe!

Comment

You are right. I was not there, but I was going on what you said. TOO dark and TOO cold to start the track. Not my words, but yours. That was your reason for not starting the track.

And yes, you said you shot the deer "right at dark". Again, your words. Go read your original post.

Again, you said it was TOO dark and TOO cold to search. You did not mention that you sat and waited for 30 minutes to start. You never even alluded to the fact that you began the search. You said it was TOO dark and TOO cold to START the search.

Never said I was "manly" for tracking and RECOVERING in the rain. I just said I was a more responsible for hunter and I learned something from that track and RECOVERY.

I was making my ASSumptions on what you said. Maybe you should tell the whole story the first time, so people dont make ASSumptions about your post.

And I will hunt and make sure my shot is clean, before I take it. I will make sure there is no "twig" in my shooting lane, that my bullet or arrow can hit.
                      He did say it was too dark, but not too cold. I believe he felt comfortable leaving it overnight, because it was cold. Anyway.

Comment

Ill be out this weekend to give it a go.

Comment

I'm planning on going if roads are driveable. Hope the does come to play.

I do see myself packing in my ground blind and a heater. LOL, can't do the freeze my butt off thing.

deer or no deer, I just want to be out there.
                          Last edited by hopedale; 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Congrats on your doe. Makes sense not to push it. Glad you were able to recover it and get some of the meat.

Comment

I just think that is being irresponsible as a hunter, and before you ask if I have been in your shoes, the answer is YES. I shot a deer and had to track. It was dark, cold, and raining. I called Dad for help and we could not find it. So, I went home and got on here and found a person who had a dog in the area. He came out and we found the deer. Hell, it was 10 pm, raining, cold, and I had to carry the deer about a mile over my shoulders. Did not get done skinning and washing until around 12 pm. Am I high and mighty for that? Absolutely not. Am I a more responsible hunter for doing that? Absolutely.
                              HC, the best thing about this forum is the support I've seen for fellow members. Your comments were uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                                I'm planning on going if roads are driveable. Hope the does come to play.

I do see myself packing in my ground blind and a heater. LOL, can't do the freeze my butt off thing.

deer or no deer, I just want to be out there.
                                Heater? What kind and where you get one those?

Comment

Working...
                                X