Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
    Got drawn for the general season hunt too! But I got drawn for the Balcones Canyonlands NWR on the same weekend in december. Since im stuck between the two, which do yall recommend taking the tags on? Thanks!
    Don’t even think twice. Balcones will suck way more. A gun at Laguna will be a meat haul. I’ve been drawn for Balcones twice and skipped both hunts bc reviews and hunt recaps from the wardens were not good.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
      Don’t even think twice. Balcones will suck way more. A gun at Laguna will be a meat haul. I’ve been drawn for Balcones twice and skipped both hunts bc reviews and hunt recaps from the wardens were not good.
      We hunted Balcones last year. We saw two bucks fighting on the first night and a hog on the second night. We had several trails and scrapes but it is hard to determine their pattern in the short amount of time you have. We should have taken the two bucks that first night.

It is a tough hunt. I would pick laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
        How are people handling the game once harvested? Do they offer any assistance or are you expected to haul it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The refuge volunteers may help after dark. They won't drive in during hunting hours. Like was said before...have a network of folks that can help if you get a big bull.

I shot a whitetail buck last year & it was a chore getting it to the truck(2 miles away). Bicycle with homemade cart really helped. Take game bags. I had to make 2 trips(500 yards) to get meat to bicycle.

good luck

Comment

Thanks, I couldnt find many reviews on it but I found the forum for last year and saw was txfirefighter(think that was his username) did and i got pumped. Trying to decide between my savage msr-10 with fort scott 168gr .308s or rocking my dad's 30-378 which I have rocked deer with at a couple hundred before. Fast follow ups or using a round I have seen elk drop with in their tracks.

Comment

My brother and I got drawn for Laguna for the mid-November bow hunt on our first time applying. Like most on this board we are most interested in opportunity for a nilgai bull or cow. Looking forward to a challenging hunt and meeting some like minded hunters. See y’all in November!

Comment

Thanks, I couldnt find many reviews on it but I found the forum for last year and saw was txfirefighter(think that was his username) did and i got pumped. Trying to decide between my savage msr-10 with fort scott 168gr .308s or rocking my dad's 30-378 which I have rocked deer with at a couple hundred before. Fast follow ups or using a round I have seen elk drop with in their tracks.
              30-378 would be cool use. I’m sure either would suffice

Comment

30-378 would be cool use. I’m sure either would suffice
                Up in the air on which to use but I think you are right. I wont be shooting at them from the top of a truck like most idiots on safaris so both should work.

Comment

Up in the air on which to use but I think you are right. I wont be shooting at them from the top of a truck like most idiots on safaris so both should work.

.30-.378 is the only round my brother and I use to take Nilgai, if that’s what you’re after. It’s a proven round for these tough animals when we hunt them.

Comment

My group also got drawn for 11/15 - 11/19. Can’t wait! We’ll be staying in a camper at Adolph Thomae.

Comment

.30-.378 is the only round my brother and I use to take Nilgai, if that’s what you’re after. It’s a proven round for these tough animals when we hunt them.

Do you have a load recommendation? We use a SMK load that just tears the insides up and drops everything. But also have some bergers that I can work a load up for.

Comment

Do you have a load recommendation? We use a SMK load that just tears the insides up and drops everything. But also have some bergers that I can work a load up for.

My brother uses Weatherby Barnes TSX 180gr triple x shock. He’s taking Nilgai out to 475 yards. I use Hornandy 180gr GMX and haven’t had any issues either. Love that round, most people have never heard of it.

Comment

My brother uses Weatherby Barnes TSX 180gr triple x shock. He’s taking Nilgai out to 475 yards. I use Hornandy 180gr GMX and haven’t had any issues either. Love that round, most people have never heard of it.

Ill take a look into those and see what I can do for hand loads with the bullets. Thank you sir.

Comment

Just looked at the ammo on midway and a box sells for about $90 bucks- is that about average price?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                              Just looked at the ammo on midway and a box sells for about $90 bucks- is that about average price?

That’s as cheap as it gets. I have seen them anywhere from $150-$180 for a box of 20.

Comment

I got selected 11/-11/5 (first time applying). This will be my first bow hunt.

I have shot rifle my entire life and have had many successful hunts on Nilgai. This is going to be interesting and challenging given how tough and hard these animals are to hunt.

I'm on the same hunt dates as you. Will be staying in Port Isabel.

Comment

Working...
                                X