No announcement yet.

New a/c cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t let them sell you on anything over 16 seer. Especially since you are going to rent it out. 14 seers are still available. 1500sqft 3.5 ton will be sufficient. I wouldn’t do more than that. Unit needs to run in order to remove humidity from the house. On avg $2k per ton is correct. A1 air and others you see advertising on tv are outrageously overpriced. Had a customer call them when I just couldn’t get to them quick enough and they quoted $13k for a 3.5ton complete low end system. Main thing I would make sure of is the condensor has a Copeland scroll compressor and not some off branded compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
      Just replace what’s broken rather than a whole new system. Replace the compressor.
      I don't know but to me that's like gambling that everything else will last 5 + years. What's the cost of a compressor in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
        Just replace what’s broken rather than a whole new system. Replace the compressor.
        Not necessarily the best thing depending on the age of the unit and the cost difference between compressor replacement with labor and condensor replacement price. Also there is the refrigerant cost if it’s r22 very expensive.

Comment

Seems high for 1500 sq ft. 3 Ton should get it done
          We recently had a 2-1/2 unit replacement quoted at $4600
          Of course there will be variables such as brand, Seer rating, etc

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
            Seems high for 1500 sq ft. 3 Ton should get it done
            We recently had a 2-1/2 unit replacement quoted at $4600
            Of course there will be variables such as brand, Seer rating, etc
            And since nobody will include that who the heck knows what they're paying for. Pretty easy to see how people get scammed.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
              I don't know but to me that's like gambling that everything else will last 5 + years. What's the cost of a compressor in this situation?
              Yes it is a gamble, you can buy a 3 ton compressor for $700-$1000, plus another $700-$1000 for Freon and labor to install.
              Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 08-04-2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

We had to replace our inside and outside units yesterday after 28 years on line. We purchased a Payne 4 ton, 14 sear heat pump unit which was $8K installed. 10 year warranty and 10 year service for maintenance and repair. Payne is made by Carrier so a little cheaper than the Carrier logo on the unit! Our Trane was 3.5 ton 12 sear, old, and just finally gave out from constant running.

This new unit is so much better and our house is 2600 sq ft. Running a lot due to still 101 temp at 645pm, but the difference is amazing from our old unit. We have had the heat pump/AC in different houses but the energy cost savings and efficiency made our decision easy even though hard on a retiree's budget.

Do your research like you are doing, call different companies and compare units and prices. Lot's of information that is confusing per tonnage and seer ratings so take it in and compare. Good luck and stay cool....

Comment

Had a traine 2.5 ton with furnace installed beginning of year, $6800. Units have since gone up another $500 and we got winter discount. I’d say your 8k.

I’ll never buy carrier units again, the other two units are carriers and they have something wrong every year, about 10 yrs old.

Comment

If its R22 replace system. If its 410 replace parts.
                    $7800 last week for complete system on neighborhood propane. We almost didnt change the furnace due to propane conversion kits being backordered or limited. A conversion kit was found.

Comment

Just had 2 quotes in San Antonio for about a 2000 square foot house. New units inside and out. New ducts. First quote $38,000 and second quote $15,000

Comment

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
                          Just had 2 quotes in San Antonio for about a 2000 square foot house. New units inside and out. New ducts. First quote $38,000 and second quote $15,000
                          38k…Good grief!! Is your house a two story? If not, it seems like a single 5ton would get the job done. That’s what we have for a 2100sq ft house, and it does just fine.

Comment

This insanity, talk about ripping people off. Get more quotes.

Comment

If coils look good and compressor was just locked up, replace the outside for about $4k

I had that done at the beginning of June.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Call Vic Gilette/ Gilette ac in San Antonio that’s pretty expensive

Comment

Working...
                                X