is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible?

to get similar arrow flight from two different point weights? Say 125 vs. 150 or 150 vs. 200?

I would like to be able to alternate between point weights and it looks like ( from what I can see ) that my 125 and 150 grain heads fly to the same point of impact.

Want to ask to see if this is possible/common or is it rare/don't do it?

Did you shoot FP’s with different grain weights? Or BH’s?

I ask because I’d be really worried about jacking up my arrow spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
      Did you shoot FP’s with different grain weights? Or BH’s?

I ask because I’d be really worried about jacking up my arrow spine.
      both field points.

i tried 150's ( which i originally tuned the arrow to) and then 125's to see what would happen

both seem to fly to the same point of impact and identical in arrow flight

Comment

A lot of times that difference will be minimal. Some bows are more sensitive to tune, and some archers are more sensitive to tune. I think it also depends on how far away from 10 gpp you are. If you're at 12gpp already, an extra 25 grains might really slow the arrow down. The best way to test it would be to stick a 125 gr broadhead on there and try it.

Comment

Bows with shelves cut past center are more forgiving of that. 25 grains seems to be about as much as I've gotten away with broadheads wise. And at 20 yards you will notice the difference in trajectory.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

They aren't fling to the same point as that would be impossible. They are just very close. If you went out farther, I'm sure you would see a difference.

That said, many bows just seem to be more forgiving of weights and spines. I have a Pronghorn that is 63# at my draw. When I got it at 9:00 that morning. I shot 5 different sizes of aluminum arrows to see what it liked best. I could not see a difference in any of them. They all shot great so I went with the ones I had the most of and still shoot that bow with the same arrows 20 years later.

I have another Pronghorn that is 54# at my draw that will only shoot one size arrow with one size point. Any thing else and not so good.

It seems that it's more about the bow then the point weight or arrow size to me. Some, it doesn't matter and but most of them, it does. Hopefully yours doesn't care.

Comment

They aren't flying to the same point as that would be impossible. They are just very close. If you went out farther, I'm sure you would see a difference.

That said, many bows just seem to be more forgiving of weights and spines. I have a Pronghorn that is 63# at my draw. When I got it I shot 5 different sizes of aluminum arrows to see what it liked best. I could not see a difference in any of them. They all shot great so I went with the ones I had the most of and still shoot that bow with the same arrows 20 years later.

I have another Pronghorn that is 54# at my draw that will only shoot one size arrow with one size point. Any thing else and not so good.

It seems that it's more about the bow then the point weight or arrow size to me. Some, it doesn't matter and but most of them, it does. Hopefully yours doesn't care.

Comment

My answer to you is Yes. For me, it’s hard to shoot the difference at 20 yards. I change out 180 and 200 grain heads all the time. Got a pile of 200 grain broadhead I use to shoot hogs with,but my bow is bare shaft tuned for 180 gr heads, no impact change under 20 yards

Comment

all good info, thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    A lot of times that difference will be minimal. Some bows are more sensitive to tune, and some archers are more sensitive to tune. I think it also depends on how far away from 10 gpp you are. If you're at 12gpp already, an extra 25 grains might really slow the arrow down. The best way to test it would be to stick a 125 gr broadhead on there and try it.
                    with the 150 grain points I'm at 11.5 GPP

Comment

The difference in mine is between 150s and 175s. Bare shaft it shows weak with the 175s. But with fletching same poi at 15 yards. Now how does that affect penetration? Not enough that our local pig population can tell.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m curious to hear your results after having shot BH’s or bare shafts with the different grain weights.

I’m set up on 100 gr heads but might have a couple 125’s around. May have to do some tinkering.

If you end up doing a bare shaft or BH test please post back with your results

Comment

It seems it may not be noticeable at 20 yards but physics says they will be a point where it matters.

Comment

Can they shoot to the same hole at closer distances ? Yes.

Can they shoot to the same hole at longer distances ? Probably not.

To DRT's point, will it make a difference on penetration ? Probably yes,
                            but it depends on how much the fletching is having to work to pull in the lessor tuned arrow.

Would I do it ? No
                            I bare shaft tune my arrows to the weight I want, then leave them that way.
                            If/when I change anything, I go back to the tuning process, and I never mix them together.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                              It seems it may not be noticeable at 20 yards but physics says they will be a point where it matters.
                              For the skill and a accuracy level im currently at, anything past 20 yards I have no business shooting at.

Im really trying to stay 17 yards and under.

Comment

Working...
                              X