Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
smokin feathers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co
Default Pbs

Just curious if anybody on here is a pbs regular member? Iím lookin for a regular member to sponsor me in the regular member application
smokin feathers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
Bisch
Pope & Young

I was a member, but not regular member. I had some conflicts with some of their ďrulesĒ, so I just let my membership lapse.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Public television has rules?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I was a member, but not regular member. I had some conflicts with some of their “rules”, so I just let my membership lapse.

Bisch

“REGULAR” is not a word I would use to describe Mr. Bisch
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #5
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Public television has rules?

Kind of what I was wondering.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
SwampGhost
Ten Point

Hunt In: La, Tx, Ks, Ne,Il

I just joined last year. We need to make some of the hunts or gatherings to get the regular members to know us personally
SwampGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
tradman
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I did a quick google search fellas, "Professional Bowhunters Society".

I am inclined to now make a group and call it BBC.. "Backyard Bowmen Coalition"

On a serious note, I would be less inclined to join simply because of the "Professional" in the name. I have learned that using such verbiage brings great ego along with it.
tradman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
smokin feathers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGhost View Post
I just joined last year. We need to make some of the hunts or gatherings to get the regular members to know us personally
Yeah think that will be the way to go.
smokin feathers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of the part about "HF kills don't count towards your total but must be listed anyway".

Old 05-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

I got a ways to go before anyone would "pay" to hunt and thus be a Pro Bowhunter. Rank Amateur is more my style!
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #11
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP51 View Post
I got a ways to go before anyone would "pay" to hunt and thus be a Pro Bowhunter. Rank Amateur is more my style!
Well my limb tip notvthe top of the blind so the arrow flew high and only trimmed a couple of feathers. Rank amateur can happen regardless of experience level.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
M.E.B.
Ten Point

The term professional is explained in their info.

I was an associate member for years.

Good organization. Good people. Great magazine.

I finally realized that I had too much Texas redneck in me. I was gonna hunt over a feeder. I’d hunt an axis etc in a high fence especially after I realized that a lot of those guys hunt wood lots smaller than ranches in Tx. I knew I’d never get to become a regular member.

I love Don Thomas’s writing but me and him had a big blowout on Tradgang several yrs ago.

It was funny that one of the founders IMed me and told me privately that he agreed with me but I still got chastised publicly.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Sounds like an elitist circle jerk, I'll happily keep my amateur stripes.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #14
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Pbs

Mike(M.E.B.), thatís about the same experience I had, but without the public flogging on TG. There was a guy on TG that started a thread about a membership drive they were having. I PMíed him, and his responses got me to thinking this would be a cool organization to be a part of. Heck, it probably is anyway.

Anyway, I joined up, and several weeks later I got a membership packet in the mail. All looked good till I started reading a little card that had their tenets listed on it. One of them was that members would NOT hunt in a high fence. Another was that members would NOT hunt at night. Their were several others also, but those two struck me, as I have hunted inside a high fence several times and knew I would do so again, and I have hunted pigs a lot at night and knew I would do that more also.

I PMíed the guy who recruited me about this and his response was very nonchalant. He basically said ďOh, itís OK because itís legal there. Iíve done those things tooĒ.

Now, this seemed very hypocritical to me; to put forward a tenet or belief and then totally disregard it when it conflicted with something you are gonna do.

Anyway, thatís my story. Iím sure 99% of the guys in PBS are great guys, and I donít have anything against them. I just let my membership lapse because I couldnít be part of that hypocrisy by saying one thing and then doing another.

Mike (OP), sorry if I got your thread derailed a bit. I hope you find a regular member to get your sponsorship for you.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 05-10-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #15
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Mike(M.E.B.), thatís about the same experience I had, but without the public flogging on TG. There was a guy on TG that started a thread about a membership drive they were having. I PMíed him, and his responses got me to thinking this would be a cool organization to be a part of. Heck, it probably is anyway.

Anyway, I joined up, and several weeks later I got a membership packet in the mail. All looked good till I started reading a little card that had their tenets listed on it. One of them was that members would NOT hunt in a high fence. Another was that members would NOT hunt at night. Their were several others also, but those two struck me, as I have hunted inside a high fence several times and knew I would do so again, and I have hunted pigs a lot at night and knew I would do that more also.

I PMíed the guy who recruited me about this and his response was very nonchalant. He basically said ďOh, itís OK because itís legal there. Iíve done those things tooĒ.

Now, this seemed very hypocritical to me; to put forward a tenet or belief and then totally disregard it when it conflicted with something you are gonna do.

Anyway, thatís my story. Iím sure 99% of the guys in PBS are great guys, and I donít have anything against them. I just let my membership lapse because I couldnít be part of that hypocrisy by saying one thing and then doing another.

Mike (OP), sorry if I got your thread derailed a bit. I hope you find a regular member to get your sponsorship for you.

Bisch

I agree 100%
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
Bisch
Pope & Young

Also, it was a few years back when I joined, maybe 5-6yrs. They may have changed their verbiage up a bit since then, but I donít know???

Bisch

Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

I'm not much of a joiner.
I go to church and I'll help out on a given project here and there but I've no desire to be in the KofC.
I was a scout leader for over a decade but they finally put me in the position where my point of view was significantly different about the direction they were headed and I quietly stepped away.
I never could get on board with the city employee association because I always figured when I screwed up I just owned up and took my punishment as it was owed. If I felt I wasn't at fault I was honest in defending my actions but if the PTB decided I was wrong I'd take the rip and keep working.
I'm on multiple bowhunting/archery forums. Most have the typical elitist butt heads or trad police belittling and demeaning anything that isn't their way of thinking. However I believe that mentality is fading with the old guard as they die off.

I think if you want to be a part of a good group of traditional archers you really don't need to look any further than right here on TBH.
I know we've lost some good guys to life taking them in other directions like Chunky and Rick but there are some super sharp, capable and helpful archers here that aren't here to judge you. Just be your friend in archery.
They my not be "professionals" but they dang sure have helped me get to be somewhat competent.
Bisch, Randy Madden, Ken Wood, SpiderMonkey and others are as good as you'll find anywhere and I'll take being a part of this group any day over a group like PBS.

Last edited by DRT; 05-10-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.

I'll probably be an Associate Member for my foreseeable lifetime.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #19
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I've known about the PBS for a number of years since I hunt with traditional archery gear and it's nothing more than a Fraternity where those regular members hold themselves in high regards over others that would like to be members. This is the kind of BS that I stayed away from while attending a university I and will continue to shun!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top