Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #2951
elgato
Ten Point

LOL , thats funny. Is that a recent post and who did it? The video of that buck has made the rounds and ended up advertising ranches I never heard of and now apparently feed. I can tell a few stories about that.For sure that buck was never within a few hundred miles of DD and in fact the only feed he ever saw was no name Mexican pellets.

I'm home for brief break before going back to ranch for a last hunt. Got some great video which I'll start posting once recovered from the season.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #2952
elgato
Ten Point

In the mean time here is a pic of the 211 from earlier this season. No DD was consumed in the making of this picture
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #2953
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
LOL , thats funny. Is that a recent post and who did it? The video of that buck has made the rounds and ended up advertising ranches I never heard of and now apparently feed. I can tell a few stories about that.For sure that buck was never within a few hundred miles of DD and in fact the only feed he ever saw was no name Mexican pellets.

I'm home for brief break before going back to ranch for a last hunt. Got some great video which I'll start posting once recovered from the season.

I saw it on Facebook this morning lol. It looks like someone sent it to DD claiming to be a product of their results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #2954
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

211 PIC.....
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #2955
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post

I Donít think this is a DD deer

How long ago was that? I looked on their page and didnt see it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #2956
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
How long ago was that? I looked on their page and didnt see it.

Iím sure someone else chimed in and the removed it. I looked as well and itís no longer up. It was for sure posted this morning though lol

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #2957
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

And this is why most people can't stand DD!!!!!!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #2958
Droptine3030
Six Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Wow! Great Deer
Droptine3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #2959
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Rusty, I am always in awe, and I greatly appreciate the effort you take to share your knowledge with the rest of us.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #2960
JRL
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ezzell

that right G2 is something else!
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #2961
Trinity Outfitters
Eight Point

211 . . . ��
Trinity Outfitters is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #2962
Trinity Outfitters
Eight Point

211 . . . 🙌
Trinity Outfitters is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #2963
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
And this is why most people can't stand DD!!!!!!
I wonder why DD does that , they claimed some our ranch’s larger bucks where fed the product, we feed LE feed
Weird marketing system, they seem to do so regularly
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #2964
elgato
Ten Point

WE have shut down the season at the ranch. Got home and found this shed. The G2 has circumference of 7" Got a little video of him this season which is the first time I have ever seen him in hard antler. Will post later.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #2965
East6101
Four Point

Crazy mass...
East6101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #2966
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Quote:
we have shut down the season at the ranch. Got home and found this shed. The g2 has circumference of 7" got a little video of him this season which is the first time i have ever seen him in hard antler. Will post later.
nasty!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #2967
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Now THATS a cool buck!

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #2968
elgato
Ten Point

Yea, I may have underestimated him on the hoof. Thought he might be about 190. This antler score 92" and looking back at pics his other side is bigger by several inches.He may have cracked 200. Either 7 or 8 not sure. This is the buck in post 2861 here earlier.

All that said I have seen him one time ever on the hoof in hard antler. Guess I'll have to look a little harder next year.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #2969
ethic1
Eight Point

What a hoss!!!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #2970
ethic1
Eight Point

Looking back his right side looks much bigger! Man what an incredible deer!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #2971
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
WE have shut down the season at the ranch. Got home and found this shed. The G2 has circumference of 7" Got a little video of him this season which is the first time I have ever seen him in hard antler. Will post later.

When you posted the pic I commented that he has 50 inches of mass . Looking at that horn in your hand and realizing that's the small side..... gosh how much mass you think fe has?

Granted all that mass on the tines dont score but .....well..gosh!

Last edited by GarGuy; 01-27-2021 at 08:22 AM.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #2972
breederbuck33
Ten Point

That is unbelievable! I don't think I've seen a deer in person with 7" bases, and this one has a 7" circumference on a tine... This thread just gets better and better with time.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 01:08 PM   #2973
elgato
Ten Point

So, I've been thinking about this thread and how to keep it interesting. Doing a quick review unbelievably I started it in April 2014!!! The original intent was to explore how to improve property for all wildlife, improve our marginal soils, focus on mgt principles and practices we use to benefit the native homegrown deer we have, and see if we could transition the farm away from synthetic fertilizers and herbicides. Later I included ranch experiences in the thread.

After 2972 posts I feel that horse has been beat to death! To simplify and recap the totality of the experience, our approach to deer mgt. is very simple
NUTRITION--Create an environment where nutrition is in the 100TH% 365 days a year meeting all the deers needs. This accomplished with habitat mgt, food plots, supplemental feeding and where necessary abundant water sources. Nutrition cannot be overstated nor overdone.

AGE--We are now at a point where we are letting more deer die of old age than get harvested including many top end bucks. Fascinating experiment considering we are doing this in 2 different countries with 2 different sub species, in 2 entirely different ecosystems .The takeaway is, especially in the brush country, deer on a high nutritional plane can live much longer than conventional wisdom proposes and sometimes have their best rack much later in life than commonly believed.

Genetics--We work with the genetics given in both locations and are happy with the results. No question genetics can be introduced to improve a herd when done wisely with proper controls. Thats just not the approach we have taken .

The outcome of this is that we are growing 200"+ bucks every year in two very disparate environments both high fence and low fence.

The other main focus of this thread was to explore soil improvement , how to positively impact the total ecosystem with a bias towards minimizing synthetics and herbicides. This primarily on a farm in the poor soils of central La. The approach at this point includes multi specie plantings both summer and fall, using no till techniques to always keep the soil covered preferably with living roots year round, and have as much plant diversity as possible.Using this approach, synthetic fertilizers have been completely eliminated. Herbicide use has become minimal though still present.

The results have been that organic matter has increased from a bit over 1% to nearly 4% on most of the cultivated areas. But being an impatient man I feel the results are evolving too slowly. After intense in depth research, as mentioned before, I believe the only way I can accelerate the rate of improvement I am after is to transition the entire farm to a sustainable agricultural approach. So that is the direction I will begin shifting this entire thread. I'll chronicle all the steps from ground zero forward recognizing this is a path with no end.

I have always been a believer in serendipity and a couple of things have happened that support and mandate this transition. First, I met Dr. Allen Williams, who is as knowledgeable about what I want to accomplish as anyone in the country.I had been looking for someone like him to help me since I bought the ranch in the late 90's and was studying the work of Alan Savory and intensive rotational grazing. The clincher is that Dr. Wiliams is southern born and raised guy having spent many years in La. thus intimately familiar with the local ecology. Secondly, hurricane Laura came along and destroyed a tremendous amount of the timber I had so meticulously managed for decades. The result being if I do nothing the forest will turn into a giant impenetrable briar patch with overall diminishing value over time.

SO the outcome of introducing multi specie grazing herbivores will be to manage the explosion of growth on the newly opened woods, improve the soil through out the forest and fields, and achieving a 'savanah' result with the preponderance of vegetation in the forest kept knee to waist high at an improved nutritional density and more available to everything.I would have never thinned the woods to the degree Laura did but looking at it now it has created a tremendous opportunity.

All that said I will continue posting deer pics and stories. Cause after all growing big deer is the fetish that fuels the fire for continuing improvement . Enough for now. The next couple post will share results and experience from this past season . I'll be working on new video soon.

Hopefully this expanded approach keeps things interesting
Old 01-31-2021, 01:34 PM   #2974
Droptine3030
Six Point

Can’t wait to follow your progress.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #2975
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
So, I've been thinking about this thread and how to keep it interesting. Doing a quick review unbelievably I started it in April 2014!!! The original intent was to explore how to improve property for all wildlife, improve our marginal soils, focus on mgt principles and practices we use to benefit the native homegrown deer we have, and see if we could transition the farm away from synthetic fertilizers and herbicides. Later I included ranch experiences in the thread.

After 2972 posts I feel that horse has been beat to death! To simplify and recap the totality of the experience, our approach to deer mgt. is very simple
NUTRITION--Create an environment where nutrition is in the 100TH% 365 days a year meeting all the deers needs. This accomplished with habitat mgt, food plots, supplemental feeding and where necessary abundant water sources. Nutrition cannot be overstated nor overdone.

AGE--We are now at a point where we are letting more deer die of old age than get harvested including many top end bucks. Fascinating experiment considering we are doing this in 2 different countries with 2 different sub species, in 2 entirely different ecosystems .The takeaway is, especially in the brush country, deer on a high nutritional plane can live much longer than conventional wisdom proposes and sometimes have their best rack much later in life than commonly believed.

Genetics--We work with the genetics given in both locations and are happy with the results. No question genetics can be introduced to improve a herd when done wisely with proper controls. Thats just not the approach we have taken .

The outcome of this is that we are growing 200"+ bucks every year in two very disparate environments both high fence and low fence.

The other main focus of this thread was to explore soil improvement , how to positively impact the total ecosystem with a bias towards minimizing synthetics and herbicides. This primarily on a farm in the poor soils of central La. The approach at this point includes multi specie plantings both summer and fall, using no till techniques to always keep the soil covered preferably with living roots year round, and have as much plant diversity as possible.Using this approach, synthetic fertilizers have been completely eliminated. Herbicide use has become minimal though still present.

The results have been that organic matter has increased from a bit over 1% to nearly 4% on most of the cultivated areas. But being an impatient man I feel the results are evolving too slowly. After intense in depth research, as mentioned before, I believe the only way I can accelerate the rate of improvement I am after is to transition the entire farm to a sustainable agricultural approach. So that is the direction I will begin shifting this entire thread. I'll chronicle all the steps from ground zero forward recognizing this is a path with no end.

I have always been a believer in serendipity and a couple of things have happened that support and mandate this transition. First, I met Dr. Allen Williams, who is as knowledgeable about what I want to accomplish as anyone in the country.I had been looking for someone like him to help me since I bought the ranch in the late 90's and was studying the work of Alan Savory and intensive rotational grazing. The clincher is that Dr. Wiliams is southern born and raised guy having spent many years in La. thus intimately familiar with the local ecology. Secondly, hurricane Laura came along and destroyed a tremendous amount of the timber I had so meticulously managed for decades. The result being if I do nothing the forest will turn into a giant impenetrable briar patch with overall diminishing value over time.

SO the outcome of introducing multi specie grazing herbivores will be to manage the explosion of growth on the newly opened woods, improve the soil through out the forest and fields, and achieving a 'savanah' result with the preponderance of vegetation in the forest kept knee to waist high at an improved nutritional density and more available to everything.I would have never thinned the woods to the degree Laura did but looking at it now it has created a tremendous opportunity.

All that said I will continue posting deer pics and stories. Cause after all growing big deer is the fetish that fuels the fire for continuing improvement . Enough for now. The next couple post will share results and experience from this past season . I'll be working on new video soon.

Rusty, this has been one of the best threads on TBH since 2014, and it is my favorite each year. What you are doing is amazing, and can only be attributed to your passion for growing big healthy bucks, naturally! However you continue this thread, I will follow along.

dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 04:43 PM   #2976
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
In the mean time here is a pic of the 211 from earlier this season. No DD was consumed in the making of this picture
Unreal buck!! Congratulations to the hunter!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #2977
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Super excited to see the changes. I first saw your videos only a week or so ago and read through half of this thread. Canít wait to see how things look in a few years!

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #2978
elgato
Ten Point

I wrapped up the season at the ranch about a week ago and while fresh on my mind thought I would offer some insights gained from it. We started the season deep into one of the worst droughts the locals could remember. While the last few years have been very dry we saw no rain from September thru till June. Then only very modest rain. The ranch was parched and the dust was biblical. Our largest pasture which is low fenced also has cattle and with the drought the pasture was very overgrazed. Just couldn't reduce cattle numbers timely to keep the pasture from looking awful. No grass or ground cover and cattle eating the brush.

Our other two pastures are high fenced with no cattle for years and visually looked much better though still suffering from the drought. All the pastures have essentially the same feeder and water distribution and managed the same.

With the above preface then our results were very curious. Our low fenced pasture was terrific! The buck quality was excellent with several outstanding bucks including the 211 in a previous post. Older bucks did very well including a 12 year old that may have had his best rack ever over 200". Many of the known bucks made nice jumps. Why???

I can only guess but I think the answer follows two ideas. One is that because of cattle overgrazing the deer had to depend on the protein feeders more than normal. Secondly, a couple of years ago we increased the feeder distribution across that pasture to match the rest of the ranch with a feeder about every 150 acres. Also, and this is a wild swing, the new feeders were Outback feeders of higher quality than we have been using and the feed tube is larger perhaps making it easier to get a meal?? Lastly, over the years we have increased water distribution over that pasture and that is now paying dividends.

My concern with that pasture though is while the older age class bucks did very well , with the lack of ground cover for the last couple years we may have a gap in age classes. TBD.

To back up a bit an overall observation this year was the quality exhibited by very old bucks all across the ranch. We saw 12 and 13 year olds have outstanding quality as good as anytime in their life. Another observation is while we think we are seeing the majority of the bucks around, camera's paint a different story. While we don't shoot much the entire ranch has pretty savvy hunters poking around quite a bit. Yet there were numerous bucks caught on camera that were never seen. Also bucks seen maybe once or twice the entire season. I saw a buck the last day I hunted in an area I pass nearly every day that I had never seen before. Maybe we aren't as good as we think.

Got some great video this year. Look forward to editing it up and posting though may be a while.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #2979
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

All very interesting information. Thanks for posting, Rusty! Looking forward to the videos!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #2980
NewBallCoach
Six Point

However this thread continues I will be following along. Have learned many things and seen some of the best bucks in my life on this thread, looking forward to seeing it continue.
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #2981
JRL
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ezzell

new video is great
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #2982
elgato
Ten Point

Dang JRL you are fast! I set it to download and went looking for sheds. Just back to post and see you beat me to it.

So here is the latest from the farm; a recap of the season. Unfortunately didn't get much video what with the hurricane, mosquitoes and diminished deer herd. But here you go
https://youtu.be/3ecw_RP0eJ4
Old 02-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #2983
Droptine3030
Six Point

Great footage as always. Hoping to see some footage from down south as well soon. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #2984
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

"he likes eating radishes, I like feeding him radishes" that's awesome Rusty I'm looking forward to your new adventures!
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #2985
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Quote:
Absolutely phenomenal deer. Did he cross in EP in mid-January?

If so, I ran into him and his group checking guns and such. That deer is unreal in real life!!!
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #2986
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickemhard3 View Post
Absolutely phenomenal deer. Did he cross in EP in mid-January?

If so, I ran into him and his group checking guns and such. That deer is unreal in real life!!!
I think they crossed about then at E.P. Rack would wear your arms out so heavy. Cool deer. Crazy what a big jump he made from previous year
Old 02-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #2987
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

Great stuff Rusty. Your results are undeniable and incredible. Thanks for doing this thread!

Love the shift as well. Its great how mother nature can overcome obstacles....especially when humans work with it and not against it.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #2988
wdtorque
Ten Point

Love following along Rusty. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share. Steady On,
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #2989
breederbuck33
Ten Point

To watch the video, then see the size of those sheds you realize those deer and your normal hill country deer are not even close to being the same thing.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #2990
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

This is the best thread on TBH. Sharing your extensive knowledge and experience is very kind and always interesting.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #2991
elgato
Ten Point

Here's a bit of a buck fight as a prelude to Super Bowl Sunday
https://youtu.be/zkBUj5qM9w4
Old 02-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #2992
tbgascorer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

^ Great buck fight! Thanks for sharing!
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #2993
Coyote Canyon
Four Point

Hunt In: Hunt Mexico

Better than the Super Bowl.
Coyote Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #2994
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I don't know how they had tines left.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #2995
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Awesome video!

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #2996
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
The results have been that organic matter has increased from a bit over 1% to nearly 4% on most of the cultivated areas.
Lots of questions but this jumped out. After all those years of cover crops, crimping, selected soils building species, and no till, this is the result? Where is all that organic matter going?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #2997
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
Lots of questions but this jumped out. After all those years of cover crops, crimping, selected soils building species, and no till, this is the result? Where is all that organic matter going?
Very astute observation and question. Couple ways to look at it. First it shows that soils can improve over time using not till and multi specie plantings. This in contrast to conventional ag which reduces OM over time. Secondly it shows the glacial pace OM build up takes utilizing strictly cropping with no additional inputs. Observing this is why I am moving down the path of introducing large grazing herbivores. My study shows that inclusion of herbivores is an essential step for rapid OM improvement.

Additionally , my goal is to maximize not only food plots but also dramatically impact forest microbiology and ecology which comprises the majority of the farm. This requires intensive use of grazing animals. Much more on all this as we move into this new year .
Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #2998
elgato
Ten Point

This video is what you do when weather has you under house arrest all week. Part 1 with the best yet to come.
https://youtu.be/hIPzJ54wVN8
Old 02-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #2999
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:

Additionally , my goal is to maximize not only food plots but also dramatically impact forest microbiology and ecology which comprises the majority of the farm. This requires intensive use of grazing animals. Much more on all this as we move into this new year .
Buffalo?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #3000
Droptine3030
Six Point

Great Video as always. I can’t get the videos open fastest enough when I see u post a new one. Just magnificent animals.