2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Anyone ever plant and grow Bok Choy successfully in southeast Texas? Been getting it fresh from the grocery store for various recipes... I like it better than regular cabbage, but never grew any... Would appreciate any experiences/feedback anyone may have.
    I think Bobby had some going last year. Im going to try a couple plants this year if I can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      I think Bobby had some going last year. Im going to try a couple plants this year if I can find them.
      Bobby?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        Bobby?
        Chew.

Comment

Got drip irrigation installed. Waiting in timer to come in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            We grew these Japanese Mikado Turnips this year. They are milder and a little sweeter than standard purple tops. The greens are just as good.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...20in%20minutes.
            Thanks just ordered some!

Comment

We bought this property dec 2019, put round 1 of fruit trees in feb 2020. Round 2 of Fruit trees and berries arrived last week, they are now all in the ground or in pots. Full list below.

Garden veggies started indoors and looks like it's going to be a big production year.

Laid out the garden perimeter this year, appx 100 foot by 70 foot. Not a true rectangle but close enough for planning purposes. 10 rows, ranging from 30-60 foot long each.
              2021 additions
              Lady Williams Apple
              Pink Pearl Apple
              Sweet Pomegranate
              Snow Queen Nectarine
              Sugarcane Jujube
              Lakemont Grape
              Reka Blueberry
              Jersey Blueberry
              Chandler Blueberry
              Primus White Currant
              Black Velvet Gooseberry
              Poorman Gooseberry
              Issai Hardy Kiwi
              Goji Berry
              Brown Turkey

Governor Wood Sweet Cherry
              Jonathan Apple
              Redhaven Peach
              Santa Rosa Plum
              Seckel Pear
              and White Pearmain Apple
              Attached Files

Comment

I planted a Redhaven peach tree last year as well. Very good fruit!

Comment

Thanks just ordered some!
                  "Due to high volume it will take 4 weeks to process order"
                  I just ordered a $3 packet of seeds? Can't they just send little Jimmy to the turnip packet bin and grab a pack? Ok thats my old man rant for the week. Setting high expectations for these turnips now

Comment

"Due to high volume it will take 4 weeks to process order"
                    I just ordered a $3 packet of seeds? Can't they just send little Jimmy to the turnip packet bin and grab a pack? Ok thats my old man rant for the week. Setting high expectations for these turnips now
                    Go to your local feed store, or Lowe's... They'll have those Asian seeds and the purple tops... I like the purple tops the best myself, and second the rutabagas... Purple tops are a lot like giant radishes and the rutabagas are real sweet... both can get BIG!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Go to your local feed store, or Lowe's... They'll have those Asian seeds and the purple tops... I like the purple tops the best myself, and second the rutabagas... Purple tops are a lot like giant radishes and the rutabagas are real sweet... both can get BIG!
                      Will do, that was my plan to try both those per your previous comments....just gonna wait for this weekends nipple perker to push on through.

Comment

Bein north of the Houston area just enough where our lows in the Winter usually run 5-10 degrees colder than Houston proper, I'm hoping that the fresh tilled ground gets a good freeze on it... Was late in getting it turned over this year and I know grass/weeds will be a constant fight. Temps in the teens will help with that. If we don't get too much rain/ice, after next week, I'll turn it and make rows, maybe get some taters planted or some greens...

Comment

Not really in the garden but been puttin citrus juice in the freezer. Did about 25 lemons today. Juice 'em, put juice in ice trays in the freezer, fill quart ziplocks with cubes, use 'em as needed. Have about 10 bags of cubes and 10 plastic quart jars of OJ already. "Fresh" juice is always better than the watered down stuff from the store

Comment

Guessing we are all gonna have some losses here shortly

Comment

Will Carrots, radishes and onions make it through this weather (uncovered)?

Comment

We decided to leave it uncovered as we were ready to plant our spring garden. Hopefully it’ll kill the weeds too.

Comment

Working...
                                X