Prairie Valley Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://youtu.be/oxnhQNo7p28" style="display:none;">
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    https://youtu.be/oxnhQNo7p28')">https://youtu.be/oxnhQNo7p28')"> I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
    https://youtu.be/oxnhQNo7p28">https://youtu.be/oxnhQNo7p28" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Well, I swung by the farm to check on the clover/vetch plot I weeded last week. The lack of Weed competition and week of good moisture caused the plot to explode with growth. It went from 2-3” tall after 7+ weeks of growth, to 6-8” tall a week later! I think I may have saved the plot.

Comment

Swung by Justin Seed and picked 200lbs of food plot seed today. My plan is to Throw N Mow this plot. (spray roundup on existing plot, spread seed, mow existing plot over top of seed).

I will also mow the regrowth we got from the cockleburs on the vetch/clover plot, mow a few strips through the dove plot, and mow the fire break around the unit we may burn in February.

Monday looks like the day. Everyone is off work/school, and rain is predicted Tuesday and Wednesday.
      It will be a good day to bring our new pup out to experience the farm for the first time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did the same at Justin seed this week. Didn’t think to check while was there but the turner seed fall mix they gave me was dated 2019. Hope it’s not junk. This weather is tempting to plant but I’m not going to put it out until Oct in case we’ll get some more hot weather.

Comment

Nice looking pup Ike. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get him or her?

Comment

Looking great! Nice lookin pup!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Looking great! Nice lookin pup!
              Thanks!!

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
              I did the same at Justin seed this week. Didn’t think to check while was there but the turner seed fall mix they gave me was dated 2019. Hope it’s not junk. This weather is tempting to plant but I’m not going to put it out until Oct in case we’ll get some more hot weather.

I am not breaking ground... I am going to Throw N Mow. I am planning on taking the moisture already there from 2 weeks of rain (7-8 inches), plus the forecasted moisture later this week. Since I am doing throw-n-mow, I increased seeding by 50%.... that plus the litter I have to mow on top of the seed should make for decent germination.

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
              Nice looking pup Ike. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get him or her?

We got him at Heritage GSP Kennels in Alvarado. Arsenio was great to work with. I just wish we could have afforded training with him too... because his dogs were by far the most obedient dogs I’ve ever seen. He let 80% of the dogs (his and clients) out to socialize while we were there to pick our pup up, and he could command each one by name immediately out of the crowd of 10-15 dogs. Called each one individually by name back into their kennel... it was impressive, that’s for sure.

Comment

Prairie Valley Farm

Speaking of the pup... he upgraded to a bigger bone today. He better understand how much I love him to let him chew on a MATCHED SET from a decent public land 10-pointer...

Last edited by IkemanTX; 09-05-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post

My bags both have 2020 germination rates and mix percentage tags on them... don’t know if I just got lucky or what. [emoji2369] I would call Justin seed and see what they say. They may swap it out for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    My bags both have 2020 germination rates and mix percentage tags on them... don’t know if I just got lucky or what. [emoji2369] I would call Justin seed and see what they say. They may swap it out for ya.

I’m sure they would, just no plans to be back in that area anytime soon. It will probably still grow ok.

Looking forward to seeing the results from your plots. I’ve not had any issues with army worms yet in Hunt but that’s one reason I’m waiting a little longer.

Nice looking pointer. I miss having a bird dog around.

Comment

Well, it only took 2 years of running a camera, but we finally have the first antlered deer seen on the place in 10+ years...

I meant to take some pictures or videos of the work today, but it was enough work I couldn’t justify stopping to film. The dove plot was pretty sparse, but definitely being used. We mowed it down to the ground to release seeds and give good ground for the dove to walk on.

The vetch/clover plot is probably 60% cockleburs, even after cutting them all down earlier in the summer. I will re-broadcast some more seed in the spring where the plot was shaded over, and avoid any ground disturbance to try and keep that in check.

The main plot had a small smattering of Sunn hemp, okra, and the tiniest bit of safflower. Everything else was in the plot was Johnson grass, common ragweed, and giant ragweed. Not nearly as much biomass as I would like, that’s for sure, but much better than it could have been.

The farm started the year holding an inch or so of water (all of February, March, and April the ground was soggy) but then it was like the rains just kept parting over the place. Our house is an hour south, and my parents are 15 miles north.... those two locations are running about 5 inches over yearly average total already..... the farm is somehow 10+ inches shorter. Hopefully we get some germination out of this plot, so that I have a good stand to plant into next year, and can choke out some of the weed grasses.

Comment

Looks great! That's a good buck!

I've been doing throw and mow for years with success....its a great way to go for fall plots. I will use elbon rye and will also adding clover this fall so it will fix N into the soil for my spring plots next year.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Looks great! That's a good buck!

I've been doing throw and mow for years with success....its a great way to go for fall plots. I will use elbon rye and will also adding clover this fall so it will fix N into the soil for my spring plots next year.

Have you had any success with summer plots planted with Throw-N-Mow? Essentially any soil disturbance on the place brings up a massive flush of cockleburs, so I am hoping to avoid tillage altogether where I can.

Also, the farm took a direct hit from a good shower yesterday afternoon and got another good hit around 1 am last night. Should be perfect for all the seed we put out on Monday.

Comment

Congrats. It split us n of hg. Hopefully we can get it today. Got some plots in sun.

Comment

I have not had success with large seeded summer legumes like soybeans or even cowpeas with the throw and mow method. If you can drill them into the thatch that works great but just broadcasting and mowing over the top was very dicey on my farm. I never had good germination.

I did have good luck with chicory which can be seeded in the spring. It's a tiny seed and would work well with throw and mow...and its very hardy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Stopped by the farm the other day to check in on things. The food plot has only had 2 good rains since planting on Sept. 7th. The first was right after Throw N Mow planting, and the second was a couple weeks ago. The food plot is still very short, just hanging in there waiting on more moisture. It seems that we had very good germination nonetheless.

Also, there’s several bucks showing up on the camera I hung on the west side of the plot. There’s also a fair amount of does on camera as well. Definitely a good start for year 1.

[MEDIA=youtube]0r7PRY2ztsU[/MEDIA]

Comment

Working...
                                X