Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Ideas for “rights of passage” for my son & gift suggestions

My son turns 13 at the end of the month and he is an exceptional kid and well on his way to being a better man than I am.

We are taking a weekend trip with him and 4-6 of his friends and a dad or so. Trip will be to our ranch in Coleman county. Boys will have the run of the place for fishing, shooting etc. but I’m looking for an idea or 2 to celebrate his passage into early manhood.

Some sort of a challenge and a campfire ceremony of some sort. any ideas or suggestions?

Also he’s requested a .22 pistol for his present. Suggestions on makes/models? I would think .22 semis are a bit finicky
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

One of the best things you can do for a young man that is entering into manhood is exactly what you're doing, acknowledge him for the exceptional young man he has been and encourage him to continue to grow and mature and become an exceptional adult. A nice commemoration of a handmade knife or a special rifle shotgun pistol whatever fits your requirements is a great memory for him. Something that he can cherish and look at and remember the time that you guys spent together as he was growing and becoming a man.

I think the main thing is that you and a couple of other men that are important in his life speak that to him and acknowledge that to him in front of his friends and that will be the thing that he can remember the most as he begins his true journey into manhood.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
Monark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler County, Woodville

My Dad gave me a Remington pump .22 rifle when I turned 13. I remember that day well. I'm 60 now & still shoot it. For a .22 pistol, I highly recommend a Browning Bucksmark. It is an auto but no problems.
Monark is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
db@100
Ten Point

Just be sure he and his friends know how to handle the pistol.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
TexasBob
Pope & Young

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html

This if you want a semi IMHO
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I shot my first mark IV last weekend. I've shot tons of earlier iterations. It is sweet.

I would throw in another Ruger but a stainless single 6.

Every Texan boy needs a 6 shooter. Might be too small of a sample group but in my circle of folks stainless ones shot more accurately than blued.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

The Ruger and the Browning semi are both good guns I would give the nod to the Ruger though. The Ruger single six would be my choice for a young man and a pistol. I am not a big fan of younger shooters and semi automatic’s to easy to make a mistake.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
The Ruger and the Browning semi are both good guns I would give the nod to the Ruger though. The Ruger single six would be my choice for a young man and a pistol. I am not a big fan of younger shooters and semi automatic’s to easy to make a mistake.
X2! Single to start out with and then Semi after a few years
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I would find a clean MkII...I think it's the best of the series.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #10
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
Just be sure he and his friends know how to handle the pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
There will be a serious conversation had with all the boys about how everything on our property will *****, sting or bite you, as well as a gun safety talk. And the boys won’t be shooting without adult supervision.

Not sure I can sell mama on a $500-700 pistol.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

A clean MKII target will go for $400 & hold it's value...a new pistol will lose $100 taking it home.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Get him a wheel gun. Reliable. Go bang everytime. And look better than a semi auto.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #13
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

The Crucible maybe?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #14
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Tell all the boys to bring a knife. You bring a ferro rod. Let them figure out how to build a fire with no matches/lighter.

Shelter building exercise (maybe a contest out of sight of each other and then compare).

Bring some snare wire and teach them that.

Or maybe gift each one of them a small pouch with a ferro rod, paracord, compass, etc.

Afterwards, declare them all junior bushcrafters/woodsmen/survivalists whatever. It might spark a life long hobby. At the least they'll learn something that may be useful in the future.

Last edited by Chew; 06-09-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #15
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Tell all the boys to bring a knife. You bring a ferro rod. Let them figure out how to build a fire with no matches/lighter.

Shelter building exercise (maybe a contest out of sight of each other and then compare).

Or maybe gift each one of them a small pouch with a ferro rod, paracord, compass, etc.

Afterwards, declare them all junior bushcrafters/woodsmen/survivalists whatever. It might spark a life long hobby. At the least they'll learn something that may be useful in the future.
Not only do I think these are all great ideas, I like them because they have practical value as well.

I did a little research online and came across an article on male rites of passage from a website called The Art of Manliness which offered a few ideas to consider:

For example, in addition to the usual circumcisions and bloodletting, there is a tribe of people who live deep in the Amazonian jungle of Brazil that, in addition to a circumcision, perform a sub-incision on the initiate as well. After the ritual circumcision, where the tribal elders lift and “severely twist” the fore skin of the penis before snipping it off, the tribe’s “spiritual guide/medicine man” performs a sub-incision by inserting a stiff piece of straw through the ureter and puncturing the penis near the frenulum. This is done to simulate a woman’s state of menses and to foster understanding and empathy among the young men for that which the women in the tribe endure once a month. (Kinda sweet, when you think about it.)

There is another tribe in Africa that forces wooden stakes through the nipples (as well as the chest and back muscles) of the initiate and suspends him from the ceiling of a lodge—one specifically built for this ritual—until the initiate faints from the pain after which he is lowered and circumcised. Fortunately, he is spared the pain of the circumcision by his state of unconsciousness.

Below is a picture of a few of the boys in the Amazonian tribe right after their sub-incisions. You’ll notice that even though they have to use walking sticks to get around, they’re happy because they no longer need to wear tampons.
Attached Images

ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:45 AM   #16
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Not only do I think these are all great ideas, I like them because they have practical value as well.

I did a little research online and came across an article on male rites of passage from a website called The Art of Manliness which offered a few ideas to consider:

For example, in addition to the usual circumcisions and bloodletting, there is a tribe of people who live deep in the Amazonian jungle of Brazil that, in addition to a circumcision, perform a sub-incision on the initiate as well. After the ritual circumcision, where the tribal elders lift and “severely twist” the fore skin of the penis before snipping it off, the tribe’s “spiritual guide/medicine man” performs a sub-incision by inserting a stiff piece of straw through the ureter and puncturing the penis near the frenulum. This is done to simulate a woman’s state of menses and to foster understanding and empathy among the young men for that which the women in the tribe endure once a month. (Kinda sweet, when you think about it.)

There is another tribe in Africa that forces wooden stakes through the nipples (as well as the chest and back muscles) of the initiate and suspends him from the ceiling of a lodge—one specifically built for this ritual—until the initiate faints from the pain after which he is lowered and circumcised. Fortunately, he is spared the pain of the circumcision by his state of unconsciousness.

Below is a picture of a few of the boys in the Amazonian tribe right after their sub-incisions. You’ll notice that even though they have to use walking sticks to get around, they’re happy because they no longer need to wear tampons.
And then after your wife and kids (post sepsis coma) leave you, you have a lot of time to post on TBH, hunt, and drink beer. I think this is a win-win.

Love this place and the creativity.

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #17
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:

Lmao 😂!
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #18
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:

Remind me to never go to one of your parties.....
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #19
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Not gonna need to remind me.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Chicken?
Old 06-10-2021, 03:43 AM   #21
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post

This, and set up a compass course a few miles away from your ranch site. Blind fold the boys, and drop them off one evening to the drop site near a water source for drinking and fishing if possible). Only allow them with a the items Chew mentioned above (knife, compass, ferro rod, and a whistle).

I'd also add giving them a raw egg and styrofoam/paper cup each. Fill the cup half way with water, insert egg, burn down fire to coals, rack coals back, put cup near coals and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. The top of the cup will melt from the heat, but the rest of the cup will withstand the heat (there is a lesson to be learned there).
Tell them to build their shelter, catch their food, skin/gut, cook it, and navigate back to the ranch by noon the next day.

I did something similar when I was about that age and will never forget it. The exercise builds a bond, encourages teamwork, and teaches survival skills.
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #22
nativeaustin
Six Point

Hunt In: Seguin

Browning buckmark. It is probably the gun I have shot the most not counting shotguns
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #23
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

A Ruger MKII, Mark III, or Mark IV if you’re going semi auto, but dang it’s hard to beat a Single Six!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #24
dosrobles
Six Point

Hunt In: Bertram

Stand up at the camp fire and tell him what you just told us about him in front of all his buddies
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #25
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

12 pack of Natty!

This is a joke! wait till he is 16.
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #26
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Lots of good advice here for you to work up a cool weekend for your son and his buddies. Great idea to do this for your son’s 13th birthday.

After a good day of fishing and shooting, settle the boys down around the campfire, and tell them to really listen up for just a few minutes. Then you or one of the other dads read "If—" a poem by Rudyard Kipling. This was written in 1895, and it is still about the best advice going regarding becoming a man. I’m guessing some boys will always remember this, and later as grown up men will thank you.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #27
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
Lots of good advice here for you to work up a cool weekend for your son and his buddies. Great idea to do this for your son’s 13th birthday.

After a good day of fishing and shooting, settle the boys down around the campfire, and tell them to really listen up for just a few minutes. Then you or one of the other dads read "If—" a poem by Rudyard Kipling. This was written in 1895, and it is still about the best advice going regarding becoming a man. I’m guessing some boys will always remember this, and later as grown up men will thank you.

This. I didn’t get the RK poem but I did have my Dad, there with my Grandpa, who was looking on so proud. Just told us about being a man. Be proud, treat people, especially women with respect, do the right thing even when no one is looking. Say yes sir and yes ma’am, open doors for everyone. Along with that came, stand up for yourself and others who can’t stand up for themselves. I turn 46 tomorrow and the conversations around the fire with my Dad and Grandpa who are both gone will never leave me. I don’t have kids but I try to pass some of that on to my nephews and his friends when we’re at camp. Those things stick with young men when told to them in the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #28
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post

My father gave me a copy of this poem years ago. To this day, I carry it in the visor of my pickup.

bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #29
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
My father gave me a copy of this poem years ago. To this day, I carry it in the visor of my pickup.

Bobc, I’m guessing as you drive your pickup what’s in that visor often makes you think of the wise, caring father who raised you. Cool story.

Playa, after this weekend hope you and your son can share something like this, good luck.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #30
c3products20
Eight Point

I'm kind of confused. Are you wanting to have a "ceremony" or a "prove your a man test"? It sounds to me like you want to congratulate your son on what he's accomplished thus far in his life. Not give him a test to prove he isn't a man yet until he passes said test? I like the knife idea. That's something he can carry with him every day of his life. Have a constant reminder of who he is.. In a world where people are constantly telling our young men that men aren't important and manliness is bad. It's important to reinforce his identity! I think giving him something to carry every day would be the best way to remind him!
c3products20 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3products20 View Post
I'm kind of confused. Are you wanting to have a "ceremony" or a "prove your a man test"? It sounds to me like you want to congratulate your son on what he's accomplished thus far in his life. Not give him a test to prove he isn't a man yet until he passes said test? I like the knife idea. That's something he can carry with him every day of his life. Have a constant reminder of who he is.. In a world where people are constantly telling our young men that men aren't important and manliness is bad. It's important to reinforce his identity! I think giving him something to carry every day would be the best way to remind him!
Maybe a bit of both, but predominantly to celebrate how far along the path to manhood he has already traveled, but a challenge he could do or lead he and his buddies to do would be fun and beneficial.

Our place is only a mile long by 1/2 mi wide and is actually fairly easy to navigate , basically find a road, and or fence and follow it. So not sure how hard that would actually be
Old 06-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #32
Louis
Ten Point

Get him a heritage rough rider 22. Great six shooter and won't break the bank.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #33
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Get him a heritage rough rider 22. Great six shooter and won't break the bank.
Surprised it took 25 posts for this suggestion. Both of my boys and I have these. Great little inexpensive pistols.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
Surprised it took 25 posts for this suggestion. Both of my boys and I have these. Great little inexpensive pistols.

Agreed..... Good shooters and a great price. Plus you can added a 22 mag cylinder to it for a little more boom. We had similar single action pistols as kids and it was a lot of fun. Heck I bought one a few years back when Academy was offering the Texas flag handled version on sale for $99 and the 22 mag cylinder for $25. It's killed several trapped coons and burned some ammo with the lease kids and adults shooting steel at our camp range.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #35
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

Sounds like a great kid, and a great getaway weekend coming up!

You could take him to a gun show and let him pick out the pistol of his choice. Or if he's expressed any one way or another, get him what his heart longs for be it semi or revolver. It's all good.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 05:46 AM   #36
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Take them to Mexico. I know this place where they do a show with these...Oh wait. Forget about that .
I'd get them all something of the same that they could have forever. Like a pocket knife commemorating the weekend. Maybe even get the handles engraved with a date or the Ranch name. These could become heirlooms.
Have fun and congrats on being a great Dad.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #37
Cberry
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I would recommend bringing some Peyote and leaving them to wonder through the Coleman county spirit world!

In all seriousness a gun or knife for him to have forever would be awesome and just getting away with dad for a while to have talks about being a man would probably suffice.
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #38
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Don't over think it. The time you spend with him will be what he remembers for the rest of his life. Before you know he's off to college, married etc.... A nice shotgun to enjoy some great bird hunts with his dad.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #39
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Yeah a solid shotgun - over under with decent quality. You will get better - safer field use out of it than the pistol. Hunting skills - the basics with scatter gun - buy a target .22 you both can shoot in competition against each other.

That's the way I rolled - added the snappy little bolt guns with big scopes into that target father/son match stuff.

Friends come and go.........blaze y'alls new beginnings with some further goals that put y'all afield with a bit of match play mixed in too.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #40
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I guess we live in a different world today than when I grew up as I did not realize there was a formal right of passage into early adulthood.
I do know when I was about that age, maybe even a little younger, my dad gave me my first 22 rifle. It was a Winchester model 9422 and I still have and shoot it today. I distinctly remember him taking me out shooting, talking about gun safety and the responsibility that came along with owning it.
Back in those days I don't think dad's having heart to heart talks with their sons was as common as it is today but I remember just being with my dad in the field and emulating his leadership was enough.
Something to consider would be making this time a more private moment between you and your son as I would bet that would have a deeper and life lasting impact more so than the fanfare of a ritual.
Just my thoughts on what impacted me in my youth.
Congratulations to you on raising a fine young man!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #41
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Peyote, schrooms, and a bottle of Texas Crown! NOT!
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #42
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Good lord...some of yall could ruin a good party.

Just take'em to the ranch and do ranch stuff! A new knife, tool, or shootin iron would be cool. But I bet you've got plenty of .22s and stuff, get'em out and let the kids burn ammo and fish...that's what kids want to do. Buy a case of cheap sodas to shake up for targets. Stay up late, eat good, big fire, drink dr pepper....etc.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #43
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Just take'em to the ranch and do ranch stuff! A new knife, tool, or shootin iron would be cool. But I bet you've got plenty of .22s and stuff, get'em out and let the kids burn ammo and fish...that's what kids want to do. Buy a case of cheap sodas to shake up for targets. Stay up late, eat good, big fire, drink dr pepper....etc.
Don't forget the farting contest around the fire pit!
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #44
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:

This sounds like a blast at any age! Of course, it’s all fun and games until you end up with sticky soda hair.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #45
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Quote:
This sounds like a blast at any age! Of course, it’s all fun and games until you end up with sticky soda hair.
or a bamboo stick through your you know what and hanging from the ceiling by your nipples
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #46
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhunterB View Post
or a bamboo stick through your you know what and hanging from the ceiling by your nipples
Lite weight...
Old 06-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #47
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Quote:
Lite weight...
I better be a lite weight if I'm gonna be hanging by my nipples!
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #48
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Dale is right

Quote:

They will remember it for the rest of their lives. What other Dad would do this? I rest my case!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #49
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

A bible with his name on it (mark Proverbs), a revolver .22 cal. single action and a great camp out.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #50
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Izoro

I got my dad, brother, men's minister and youth pastor to each write a letter to my son about who they see him becoming and giving advice on becoming who he is destined to become.
Those that could be a part of his 'celebration', I asked them to take a short walk with him (we are on 15 acres) to verbalize what their letters said.
2B4Him is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top