Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County
Default 2021 Gardening Thread

I am curious what y'all still have going and what you are planning on for your spring beds.

Winter garden: sugar snap peas, snow peas, collards, mustards, still going strong. some carrots, some beats, some radishes, and a little rainbow chard left also along with various salad greens.

Spring garden: Green beans and tomatoes for sure. not sure what varieties yet though, early girl and cherokee purples will be there.

What varieties of tomatoes do y'all like? I think I remember a bunch of guys from last year's thread liking juliets as a cherry variety. Our Early girl did great last year and cherokee purples were the best beefsteak variety we planted for yield and flavor. We had a brandy wine that was very good, but didn't get too many from it.

Good luck to everyone!
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I planted radish's, snow peas, snap peas, carrots, Detroit Red Beets, bunching onions, Russian Kale and Dinosaur kale about 2 weeks ago. Radish's are already 3" high and the peas have broke ground.
This new years resolution was to eat less meat and more vegatables, so I am working on garden expansion and higher turn.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Iv got some Carolina reaper seeds coming in the mail, thats as close as iv got lol
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
Iv got some Carolina reaper seeds coming in the mail, thats as close as iv got lol
Where did you order yours from?
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
Where did you order yours from?
Ebay.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Still have turnips, radishes, mustard, and collard greens going strong.
As far as quantity tomatoes, I have had the best luck with Celebrity.
I will be planting tomatoes, sugar snap peas, purple hull peas, green beans, corn, squash, cucumber, and several types of peppers this spring.
I am ready for some warm weather!
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Still have turnips, radishes, mustard, and collard greens going strong.
As far as quantity tomatoes, I have had the best luck with Celebrity.
I will be planting tomatoes, sugar snap peas, purple hull peas, green beans, corn, squash, cucumber, and several types of peppers this spring.
I am ready for some warm weather!
Yep, another vote for Celebrity tomatoes. It was insane the amount of tomatoes that I got from two plants last year. I had cherokee purple plants also but think that I am going all celebrity this year. I will also plant jalapenos, squash, zukinni, cucumbers, onions, and okra.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Mostly greens and lettuce for us right now. I already ate all my radishes. Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.
Good reminder! I need to figure out a replacement for a diseased oak in the front yard.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #10
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.
Planted two 45 gallon Lakota pecans
Need to plant the other half dozen Desirable and half dozen Pawnee

Got a dozen 15 gallon pear trees from Houston garden center for $108 total
They had like 80% off couple weeks back
Now they are back down to 50% off
I got a mix of
Florida
Hood
Laconte
Pineapple
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
randtx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

What are you guys doing to keep the birds and the bugs away? I have never had a successful garden because of these 2 issues.
randtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Joe H
Ten Point

Now is the time to put in your soil amendments. 12 yards of mushroom compost spread and tilled in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #13
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Now is the time to put in your soil amendments. 12 yards of mushroom compost spread and tilled in. [/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last week I put in:
Cottonseed meal
Blood meal
Alfalfa meal
Triple 10
Starbucks coffee grinds (now my plot smells like a latte)
Old 01-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
Man
Pope & Young

My celebrity tomatoes did well this past season, but I tried 2 new ones that they had at Home Depot (Bonnies) that trumped them 10x over. The Juliet and the Sweet Million. Those 2 alone pound for pound outdid my celebrities. Many many left dying on the vine becouse it was so much. Will be doing those again this spring
Old 01-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
My celebrity tomatoes did well this past season, but I tried 2 new ones that they had at Home Depot (Bonnies) that trumped them 10x over. The Juliet and the Sweet Million. Those 2 alone pound for pound outdid my celebrities. Many many left dying on the vine becouse it was so much. Will be doing those again this spring
1 Juliet will produce a lot of tomatoes.
We can a lot of salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and etc.
Getting the skin off those little tomatoes is a pain.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
1 Juliet will produce a lot of tomatoes.
We can a lot of salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and etc.
Getting the skin off those little tomatoes is a pain.
Yeah what we did put them into pot of boiling water until the skin starts to wrinkle, and then immediately dunk them into a large bowl of ice water. Skin litterly falls right off.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #17
gandergitter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin, Texas and Colorado

Hauling in my compost next week. Last cabbages will come off in another 2 weeks. Onions have been in and are still growing. Lettuces are slowly growing. Still have a few voluntary cilantro.

Question: I have healthy large broccoli plants that never produced for some reason. Should I leave them in? Will they produce later? Pull them and start over?
gandergitter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 06:11 AM   #18
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I am curious what y'all still have going and what you are planning on for your spring beds.

Winter garden: sugar snap peas, snow peas, collards, mustards, still going strong. some carrots, some beats, some radishes, and a little rainbow chard left also along with various salad greens.

Spring garden: Green beans and tomatoes for sure. not sure what varieties yet though, early girl and cherokee purples will be there.

What varieties of tomatoes do y'all like? I think I remember a bunch of guys from last year's thread liking juliets as a cherry variety. Our Early girl did great last year and cherokee purples were the best beefsteak variety we planted for yield and flavor. We had a brandy wine that was very good, but didn't get too many from it.

Good luck to everyone!

Spring we planted about five varieties of tomatoes
Early Girl made great fried green tomatoes
Big boys/Husky didn't do too well. They grew, I just didn't like the inside of the tomato.
Bonnie made some type of million or thousand Cherry tomato that gave VERY sweet and tasty fruit!!!

Also planned about five types of hot peppers. Only the Tabasco peppers took and they threw off a lot of fruit. All the way until Thanksgiving. Made a bunch of hot sauce and peppar vinegar with it. Gave it away as Christmas presents and daily I get rave reviews.

Purple hull peas came up nice in spring. I had some left over because all the feed stores were sold out!!!

I just jumped on whillite to order some stuff (it's what I do at 5am before everybody wakes up) and decided on a hamburger garden for my daughters.
Purple onions (those got planted in November)
Boston cucumbers (had a GREAT stand last year)
Lettuce
Some type of tomato which is why I searched for the 2020 thread to see what tomatoes folks planted.
Might do a celebrity this year.

Also ordered 50 strawberry crowns from Pense
25 albion
25 chandler
Picked up 6 Quinault plants locally in Sept
The pense plants came in late October

Going to try again for a "yellow meat" watermelon this year. Again, whillite has those seeds.

Finally, gonna scatter some dwarf sunflower seeds to if they come up. I'm over run with rabbits so unless things are fenced in, they usually don't make it

Last edited by texansfan; 01-09-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #19
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
Spring we planted about five varieties of tomatoes
Early Girl made great fried green tomatoes
Big boys/Husky didn't do too well. They grew, I just didn't like the inside of the tomato.
Bonnie made some type of million or thousand Cherry tomato that gave VERY sweet and tasty fruit!!!

Also planned about five types of hot peppers. Only the Tabasco peppers took and they threw off a lot of fruit. All the way until Thanksgiving. Made a bunch of hot sauce and peppar vinegar with it. Gave it away as Christmas presents and daily I get rave reviews.

Purple hull peas came up nice in spring. I had some left over because all the feed stores were sold out!!!

I just jumped on whillite to order some stuff (it's what I do at 5am before everybody wakes up) and decided on a hamburger garden for my daughters.
Purple onions (those got planted in November)
Boston cucumbers (had a GREAT stand last year)
Lettuce
Some type of tomato which is why I searched for the 2020 thread to see what tomatoes folks planted.
Might do a celebrity this year.

Also ordered 50 strawberry crowns from Pense
25 albion
25 chandler
Picked up 6 Quinault plants locally in Sept
The nourse plants came in late October

Going to try again for a "yellow meat" watermelon this year. Again, whillite has those seeds.

Finally, gonna scatter some dwarf sunflower seeds to if they come up. I'm over run with rabbits so unless things are fenced in, they usually don't make it
Order some “Mississippi Purple” brown crowder peas from Willhite seed, and thank me later. I ordered them thinking purple hull, and when it came time to pick, realized they were a crowder, but a lot more flavorful than a purple hull. Only pea I plant now. One of the most requested thing when I take stuff to the small market in town. I’ve also got seeds for a yellow meat melon that my grandad grew and passed down to my dad and then me. I can’t plant melons due to deer, coyotes, and coons. I can keep the deer out, but not the other two.

Last edited by rocky; 01-09-2021 at 06:19 AM.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #20
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Order some ďMississippi PurpleĒ brown crowder peas from Willhite seed, and thank me later. I ordered them thinking purple hull, and when it came time to pick, realized they were a crowder, but a lot more flavorful than a purple hull. Only pea I plant now. One of the most requested thing when I take stuff to the small market in town. Iíve also got seeds for a yellow meat melon that my grandad grew and passed down to my dad and then me. I canít plant melons due to deer, coyotes, and coons. I can keep the deer out, but not the other two.

I forgot I also planted a bag of tulip bulbs in the fall.
Walking out of lowes (or was it tractor supply) one day the were near the register so I grabbed a bag
Planted them near my pond
And just the other day I see them sprouting maybe a 1/4 inch above ground

I also threw out 5 pounds of bluebonnet seeds and a few hundred pounds of crimson clover so we will see what that brings. Crimson does really well but this is the first year for the bluebonnet

Last fall I tried a few different types of mini pumpkin as well as popcorn from whillite and the pumpkins got hit by drought while the popcorn never even germinated.
The year before that the pumpkins got ate up by deer (the garden wasn't fenced in then)

Oh and now that is fully fenced for deer, the rabbits started coming in.
Then i rabbit proofed it with chicken wire
Now I have gophers tunneling under into the middle of the garden!!!

If it's not one thing, it's another.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #21
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Does anyone know of a place around beaumont I can buy a dump truck load of compost from? I've bought plant mix from a couple places but it's too lite for a garden. It dries out real fast.. I either need good top soil which is hard to find in our area or actual compost..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #22
ladrones
Pope & Young

I will be harvesting my first crop of the year in about a week or so. I’m hoping to have a very productive year with my garden.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #23
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

For you home gardeners, what a good orange tree to plant in southeast Texas ?
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #24
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post

Randy Lemmon can tell you where the best nurseries to purchase from are located. Itís really your preference on what type of orange you like. I have tangelos, satsumas and grapefruits.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 04:18 AM   #25
Speck
Four Point

Hunt In: Cat Spring, TX

Quote:
There is a tree called Texas Orange or Republic of Texas orange. Itís supposed to be alittle more cold hardy. Think it was developed in Angleton.
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #26
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:
Google "Panzarella citrus Lake Jackson". Retired fella who has been dabbling in citrus for a long time.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #27
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
Google "Panzarella citrus Lake Jackson". Retired fella who has been dabbling in citrus for a long time.
I went to the yearly sale at his house last month. He has a amazing garden of citrus trees on his property! Real knowledgeable and nice man!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #28
locolobo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I went to the yearly sale at his house last month. He has a amazing garden of citrus trees on his property! Real knowledgeable and nice man!
He has developed several varieties of citrus and even some stone fruit varieties too. Check him out! He puts on grafting classes too, for those who want to learn.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #29
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

I just bought a new home last fall and the builder scraped the top 6-10 inches of topsoil so I need some major soil preparations before my spring garden. Only bright side is he got rid of all the native cactus and other grasses and weeds for me so I have a clear slate.

I ordered over 100 different varieties of seed and have over 60 starter trays with peat and vermiculite mix waiting on the seeds to arrive.

I shudder at the thought of paying 800 bucks for a truckload of garden mix from the local dirt place. I need several to cover the 1/4 acre area that is to be my garden.

I also have many fruit trees, but trees and bushes showing up in early February.
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #30
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
I just. I need several to cover the 1/4 acre area that is to be my garden.

I also have many fruit trees, but trees and bushes showing up in early February.
Do you irrigate that quarter acre?
If so, how?
We have quarter acre of blueberries that I'm finally getting around to irrigating with half inch poly tubing and 1.0GPG droppers
Gonna set three ibc totes out there and have a solar powered bilge pump push water to the plants
This worked fine on the 50x16 garden up front

Just looking for other options to irrigate
Old 01-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #31
topshot
Ten Point

Quote:
Do you irrigate that quarter acre?
If so, how?
We have quarter acre of blueberries that I'm finally getting around to irrigating with half inch poly tubing and 1.0GPG droppers
Gonna set three ibc totes out there and have a solar powered bilge pump push water to the plants
This worked fine on the 50x16 garden up front

Just looking for other options to irrigate
No irrigation at this time, it's all new start. I plan to cover all soil in 3-4" on mulch. Hopefully that will keep everything moist and allow for nature to do the watering.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #32
topshot
Ten Point

If anyone in dfw know of a cheaper option than 800 to have a dozen yards of good garden mix soil delivered, please let me know.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #33
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
If anyone in dfw know of a cheaper option than 800 to have a dozen yards of good garden mix soil delivered, please let me know.
Isn't there a place in, (or around) White Settlement, called
Clear Fork Materials ??
IDK about their prices..... But you might check...........
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #34
Speck
Four Point

Getting ready to till up to make our garden. Just need the ground to dry. First garden at our new place. I got a pile of old horse manure from the previous owners that I plan to incorporate. Ran the water line last week before all the rain. Need to get the deer/gopher fence built.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #35
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Does anyone know where to get worm castings around the NE part of Houston?
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #36
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Glad this thread got started. Need to figure out what to plant this year. Have a small area in our yard that’ll be half vegetables and half for pollinators. My daughter really wants butterflies and bees to visit
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #37
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Glad this thread got started. Need to figure out what to plant this year. Have a small area in our yard thatíll be half vegetables and half for pollinators. My daughter really wants butterflies and bees to visit

Iíve found that zinnias (sp?) are easy to grow and prolific. Butterflies seem to like them where Iím at. Also look at bee balm/bush. Firecracker will attract hummers too.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #38
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
Iíve found that zinnias (sp?) are easy to grow and prolific. Butterflies seem to like them where Iím at. Also look at bee balm/bush. Firecracker will attract hummers too.
Thanks, sheíll be 3 this spring and wasnít impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. Iím also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #39
eradicator
Pope & Young

Pulled a couple of cauliflower heads today. Brocolli did well too. Eating the residual florettes now. Garlic and cilantro doing well. Lettuce and spinach continuing to produce. Bunching onions are out of control. Table onions will go in within the next couple of weeks. Usual cast of characters for spring garden....
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #40
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

Quote:
Thanks, sheíll be 3 this spring and wasnít impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. Iím also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa

Go to the dollar store and see if they have zinnias. You could also buy some marigold seed. Cheap and prolific.
Young kids are hard on plants so having lots of them helps with the learning curve.

Columbine was hard to grow. I failed.

Butterfly weed is also an option.

If you have room for a climbing vine...try morning glory. Kids like em and you can gather the seed To plant next year. Come in diff colors.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #41
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

If you have a septic system, keep that mimosa FAR away from it. Those suckers have roots like fine hair and will completely destroy your septic system, conventional or aerobic...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #42
Speck
Four Point

My son is fascinated with planting peanuts.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #43
Button
Six Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

I like gardening.
Humic and fulvic acid are excellent
Button is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #44
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button View Post
I like gardening.
Humic and fulvic acid are excellent
My fall planted strawberries are under six inches of snow
I wonder if they will survive?
Old 01-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #45
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
My fall planted strawberries are under six inches of snow
I wonder if they will survive?
https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2790

https://blog-fruit-vegetable-ipm.ext...-fall.html?m=1

Looks like I'm ok
Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #46
doublearrow
Ten Point

Ive forgotten what all ive started so far lol. Strawberries/cabbage/lavender/coleus/pansies/salvia and others. Some are for the hydroponic garden.
We actually have a couple thousand pots/pellets/ and a couple hundred 1020 trays being dropped off tomorrow.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #47
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Ive forgotten what all ive started so far lol. Strawberries/cabbage/lavender/coleus/pansies/salvia and others. .
Is now the time to start lavender? Are you starting it indoors or directly into the ground? My wife wants to do it this year and attempt to extract the oils for various things.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #48
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Is now the time to start lavender? Are you starting it indoors or directly into the ground? My wife wants to do it this year and attempt to extract the oils for various things.
You're better off buying plants that are already started and then next season use those plants to propagate new ones.
I've done both propagate under a light and heatpad and I've also done direct burial
Heatpad worked so so
Direct burial the jury is still out on

Also lavender is very slow growing
I have 4 varieties
The Spanish took to my soil the best
Old 01-09-2021, 11:06 PM   #49
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Recently replanted some wild garlic that I dug from the farm. Starting to get settled in pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #50
locolobo
Ten Point

Got onions, garlic, a little kale, mustard out the wazoo (volunteers), a molasses tub full of leaf type lettuce of different varieties, another couple molasses tubs of spices and a bunch of rye grass.