Wyoming Elk Preference Points Questions - Max Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's finally time for me to use my preference points for Wyoming rifle elk hunt. This is going to be a father/son hunt with my dad in October 2022. I have 16 preference points due to my dad putting in for me the past 16 years so should have a great chance at most any unit. With that said, this hunt for me is more about the memories with my dad and not necessarily about shooting the biggest elk I can. A lot of people might give me negative feedback for not trying to get the biggest elk I can being that this is one of those once in a lifetime type hunts, but to me its more about a successful hunt with my dad and not one that will absolutely kill us trying to get an elk.

I know information regarding units is hard to come by and understandably so since it takes a lot of effort to find your spots, but any information is helpful. A few questions I have are below:

As of now we have a guide out of casper area we will be using. We have hunted with them years ago and have several friends that hunt with him. He has suggested unit 120 for this hunt. Anyone have any information on unit 120 and whether or not they think this would be a good unit to hunt? We would be paying trespassing fees so will be hunting private land.

Second and my biggest question is the following: My dads friend has about 10 preference points right now and mention that if possible he would like to submit an application with me so that if I draw unit 120, he also would draw for unit 120. Does anyone have information on this process? It was my understanding that if you have two people, one with max point and one with 10 points, that if they put in together, the state would base drawings off the lower number of preference points. If thats the case I obviously would not include my dads friend. However, if its based on my points, then I don't see a problem with him joining me. Please let me know yalls thoughts on this or maybe direct me to where I may find more information on this.

Last, for those that are willing to maybe pm with information on units, please feel free to suggest a unit that I may want to look into for this hunt. Again, not really looking to hunt north west wyoming due to the more extreme terrain, so keep that in mind.

Thank you in advance for any help or information.

Wyoming averages your PP, not using the lowest number.

If you have the money, Wagonhound outfitters in area 7 has the big bulls. Also Turkey Track Outfitters.
    Area 7 is well known for huge bulls but it is mostly private land hunting and Wagonhound has the most ground. They are pricey but top of the line for outfitters and how they treat their hunters.
    Tyler Sims also has great ground.

The Southern Bighorns can be great hunting , who are you looking to book with there out of Casper, pm is fine?

Comment

Thanks, I will send a pm!

Comment

Who are you looking to hunt with as a guide for area 120? I live here in Casper and have hunted 120.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
          Who are you looking to hunt with as a guide for area 120? I live here in Casper and have hunted 120.

Contact WyoBull, he will know far more than me on that area.

Comment

I’ve spent time in 120 during the archery season. Pm me if you would like.

What a nice problem to have!! Congrats and good luck on your decision.
            Last edited by jaker_cc; 01-12-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post

pm sent

Comment

In for this…interested in the information, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged in too.

Comment

[QUOTE=
                    Second and my biggest question is the following: My dads friend has about 10 preference points right now and mention that if possible he would like to submit an application with me so that if I draw unit 120, he also would draw for unit 120. Does anyone have information on this process? It was my understanding that if you have two people, one with max point and one with 10 points, that if they put in together, the state would base drawings off the lower number of preference points. If thats the case I obviously would not include my dads friend. However, if its based on my points, then I don't see a problem with him joining me. Please let me know yalls thoughts on this or maybe direct me to where I may find more information on this.
                    =[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify. If you have 16 and friend has 10 and you enter the draw together, you will be in the 13 point draw pool (16+10=26/2=13). Does dad have any points or is he just going to tag along and support you?

Comment

A little off topic but anyone with max PP for moose or sheep I know some DIY areas for you to consider.
                      That deadline for apps is Feb. 28.

Comment

Working...
                      X