Duck or Goose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck or Goose?

Anyone ever smoked a duck or goose the same way you would beer can chicken? We have a waterfowl hunt coming up and I’m trying to decide whether or not I need to be prepared to pluck the birds.

I think in most cases it would be a disaster with the birds being extremely dry. I have never tried it so hopefully I’m not over stepping. If I were going to try it I would smoke for a short period and then put in aluminum pan sealed tightly with some sort of liquid for the cook until meat is falling off the bone.

Comment

I do it with pheasants but have never tried it with ducks/geese. I'm 50/50 on how it would turn out being it is dark meat. I would definitely give it a try at least once though.

Comment

i preface my comment with the fact that I’m not a duck hunter and I cook commercial ducks. So what i say may not be entirely relevant (fattiness of commercial vs wild ducks)

I smoke one every couple weeks. The fat in a commercial bird makes it really hard to mess up. I smoke it low (225) ish until meat temp hits 130-140. Then crank up chamber temp to 375ish to crisp up the skin and finish cooking. Again, the amount of fat makes it really hard to overdo. Even if cooked to 165 (well past temp I’d sear/enjoy a boneless breast). Diff experience than eating med rare breast. More like smoked chicken, as you mentioned. The pic below is from thanksgiving. bird was pulled a little earlier than I would’ve liked because everything else was ready to serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess it's worth trying once.

Comment

Working...
          X