F150 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 owners

Looking at buying a newer F150 (2016-2020). Are there any common issues with these trucks anyone can speak to? I’ve only owned Silverado’s but I think I’m done with GM. Curious if I can get some feedback on what to expect with an F150 without turning this into a Ford VS GM thread lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem with my 2020 thus far. 36,000 miles. 3.5 Ecoboost.

Comment

I was a GM guy until I bought my F150 Powerboost last year. Head and shoulders above GM.

Comment

We run a fleet of ford 5.0s and the common issue is the intake manifold, multiple replaced.

Comment

I have a 2020 with the 3 5 EB and the only issue I've had is the occasional hard shift of the 10 speed tranny. It will go weeks without doing it once and then randomly do it. Other than that, I have zero issues so far and I have about 37,000 miles on it

Comment

I have a 2018 F150 5.0...

At first, after you start it up, if I press the gas a little and then let off I hear a "tick, tick, tick, tick". I looked this up, and apparently it is something lots of people have, and there hasn't been a solve for it yet. So, in your test drive, listen for that in the beginning.

Also, I hated my auto stop start. There is a wire connected under the steering wheel. Pull that and the "feature" is bypassed.

Comment

Both are great trucks. I’m a ford guy but have buddies who love their GMCs.

Comment

I have a 2017 2.7. Never had any issues

Comment

I have always liked GMC/Chevy and I have owned both. The past 2 vehicles I have had have been F150s and I have had 4 - F150s total. The interiors and the way they ride and drive is what won me over with GM as a close second. The interior seemed to have more room, was more comfortable, and had nicer trim levels IMO. I have had a 2012 and now a 2016 F150 3.5L ecoboost. I have enjoyed both. I have not had a mechanical issue with my 2016 and it's going on 85,000mi. I did have a module or something go out that was in the wiring of the stereo and touch screen. Warranty covered it and there hasn't been a problem since.

Comment

Out of the 7 ecoboost we have at our office 6 have had cam phasers replaced. I would avoid the ecoboost like the plague. We have 1 5.0, needed a rearend before 100k. But I think that was a fluke.

Comment

My understanding, that is a cam phaser issue and Ford is replacing them under warranty.

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                      I have a 2018 F150 5.0...

At first, after you start it up, if I press the gas a little and then let off I hear a "tick, tick, tick, tick". I looked this up, and apparently it is something lots of people have, and there hasn't been a solve for it yet. So, in your test drive, listen for that in the beginning.

Also, I hated my auto stop start. There is a wire connected under the steering wheel. Pull that and the "feature" is bypassed.

Comment

I have a 2016 EB with 83k on it. Only problem I ran into was around 30k miles the screen went bad and had to get replaced. But no mechanical issues ever. I have enjoyed it and going to get the same thing again for my next truck.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                          My understanding, that is a cam phaser issue and Ford is replacing them under warranty.
                          Thanks. Looking into this.

Comment

I had a 2018 F-150 3.5 ecoboost with 75k miles. Loved the truck and bought another 21 F-150 3.5. I did get notified that the cam phasers needed to be replaced but were covered under warranty. I traded the truck in before getting them replaced.
                            Last edited by piercebronkite; 01-11-2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

My son has a 2017 f150 2.7 eco with 65000 miles, zero issues so far. I have a 2018 f150 4x4 3.5 eco max towing with 21000 miles zero issues so far. I get almost 20 mpg going to work. Got almost 22 mpg when wife and I went to Fredericksburg a few weeks back. The 2.7 is great choice if you don’t need max towing.

Comment

Working...
                              X