Pronghorn hunt recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronghorn hunt recommendations

We are looking into doing a pronghorn hunt with our bows. Anyone have a place they recommend?
    Will consider most states. Not necessarily looking for a record book but definitely don't want an empty cooler coming home.

My bow hunt turned into a rifle hunt really quickly once the area received 4-5” of rain a couple days before our hunt. Goats scattered and didn’t need to hit the tanks as regularly as they had been. I guess, long story short…an empty cooler is very much a possibility regardless of outfitter quality or animal density. Wife and I both got our goats with MnH outfitters up passed Amarillo.

Comment

I had a good contact for a tresspass hunt in WY. but when covid came along he shut down. So basically, I ain’t got nuthin, just remembering.

Comment

Are you looking to hunt over water/spot and stalk? - Montana (Blue Rock Outfitters)

Bow hunting from the side of a horse - South Dakota (Three Arrows Outfitter)

I prefer hunting with horses as you are just baking in a pop up waiting for an animal to finely come to water.

Comment

i did a spot and stalk in Texas this past fall. get a decoy for your bow.

apply in the NM draw. good odds for archery.
          check with outfitters that might sell you a landowner tag.
          apply in WY and CO.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgiv View Post
            Are you looking to hunt over water/spot and stalk? - Montana (Blue Rock Outfitters)

Bow hunting from the side of a horse - South Dakota (Three Arrows Outfitter)

I prefer hunting with horses as you are just baking in a pop up waiting for an animal to finely come to water.
            Horses? That sounds interesting!! Thanks

Comment

Example of what I am talking about. Don't have to have the other decoy, I have shot under the horses neck when they pull the reins out of the way

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGG6FFGcbDw"]Aron Snyder uses a Stalker Decoy to take his first pronghorn antelope with a traditional bow! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Any way you do it will be fun. And if you like venison, you’ll find yourself wishing a pronghorn was as big as a cow.

Decoying in the rut is the absolute most fun IMO, spot and stalk would be next, and waterhole sitting the most boring but probably the most productive for time spent. Over water will probably give you the closest shots depending on your setup, but nothing compares to a pronghorn buck charging in to run you off. You might get lucky and get a 20/30 yard shot, but most likely they will be between 40/60. Good luck !

Comment

I can barely make it 2 hours in a popup looking at hill country deer the whole time! No way I could ever sit in one all day waiting on a pronghorn to show up! Good luck in your search!

Comment

If you haven’t Wyoming Public land rifle hunted them, I would do it first. It will give you an idea of what you’re trying to accomplish with a bow

Comment

Might check with Trophy Hunting Adventures in NM. They hunt all private land so you don’t have to worry about drawing. They do book really fast though.

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
                        If you haven’t Wyoming Public land rifle hunted them, I would do it first. It will give you an idea of what you’re trying to accomplish with a bow
                        Good advice here.

Comment

I decided since it was my first time hunting an animal I know nothing about, that I would go with an outfitter. I chose Hat Creek Valley Outfitters. They are in northwest Nebraska, nearly to Wyoming and have archery over-the-counter tags, so no draw worries. I'll let you know how it goes. We are going Aug. 26-30, hunting 5 days.

Comment

how are you going to hunt them with this outfitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                              I decided since it was my first time hunting an animal I know nothing about, that I would go with an outfitter. I chose Hat Creek Valley Outfitters. They are in northwest Nebraska, nearly to Wyoming and have archery over-the-counter tags, so no draw worries. I'll let you know how it goes. We are going Aug. 26-30, hunting 5 days.

Let us know how your hunt goes. Their prices seem reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X