Garner exotic 01/05-07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner exotic 01/05-07

I was drawn for Garner exotic on 01/05-07/2022. Just wondering if any other TBH's were drawn or were going. I've heard their are very few exotics there anymore so I probably wasted my ppoints. Anyone know anything about Garner and where the best places to hunt are. Any info would be appreciated. Thx

In for responses. I don’t apply here for gun, but still do for archery so curious to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I'll find out next week.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        I guess I'll find out next week.

Good luck! If anything, enjoy the great views. They area is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t been drawn there but good luck to you .

Comment

We hunted there three years ago with no luck. You will draw for or be assigned stands if it’s like it was then.I think three were killed the whole time we were there. They were killed throughout the park so I don’t know if there is a “good” place to hunt. We did see a herd of around 20 one night while picking up hunters on the south end of the park. Biggest thing I saw out of the stand was a turkey so it made for long sits. That being said, be on your toes because everyone that shot one said they don’t hang around long.
            Before our hunt we heard horror stories about the game warden that runs the hunt but we didn’t experience that. He seemed genuinely concerned about helping hunters get Axis. He even allowed me to swap stands because the spot I drew had a lion sighting recently.
            The Axis are there they just go nocturnal when the hunt starts.

Comment

Also, if you are allergic to cedar start taking preventive medications now. The cedar pollen was so bad when we were there it looked like a yellow fog moving through the park.

Comment

If you’re allowed to, take along a bale or two of alfalfa.

Comment

I picked up some alfalfa already. Thanks for the info

Comment

I hate to hear that hunt sucks so bad now. We drew it years ago and had a great time.

I think the 3 of us brought home 4 axis 3 white tail and a pig. We could have filled the truck bed

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We stayed at Garner SP a week ago. Was looking forward to seeing all the exotics I used to hear about. We drove around everywhere that was open to driving both during the day and night and only saw 2 jack rabbits. Very disappointed. Now if you go into Utophia, you will see deer all over the town.

Good luck on the hunt.

Comment

Seems to be a bunch of bad reports on this hunt the last several years on here, I could be wrong but I seemed to remember this place used to be one of the desired draw hunts back in the day. I put in for it for archery exotic every year because we have darn near 20 preference points for that category and its the only hunt listed in that category for years now. I really wish they would bring back Devils river archery exotic.

Comment

There were 14 axis harvested last year for the 1/4-1/6 hunt. So not that bad!.
                          The number drops significantly after that hunt.

Comment

I hunted it years ago. Had assigned blinds. They took you out and picked you up. Carry what feed you can. Some blinds have limitations on which direction you could shoot.
                            Park folks wer not too thrilled with hunters( at the time). A little too controlled of a hunt for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              Park folks wer not too thrilled with hunters( at the time).
                              Been there done that, it was a bit of a shock to me years ago when I understood antis are actually hired by tpwd, preservationist and conservationist attitudes are both common in parks employees. Site to site the draw hunt experience can vary GREATLY.
                              Last edited by bossbowman; 12-30-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X