No announcement yet.

Home Generator Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check gas requirements for generator. You man need a whole different regulator.

Comment

We put ours close to the breaker panel and ran the gas to it.. The gas line was cheaper than the wire and there are load requirements for the electric side. Our gas meter is huge because everything in my house is gas. It was new construction so the gas company didn't charge me for the up grade .I did pay an extra 900 for the plumber to run the gas line 100 ft to the generator.

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
        I am having a whole home generator with a transfer switch installed soon and we are deciding on placement.

My electric meter and gas connection are on opposite sides of the house. For the guys with generators and the electric/gas connection on opposite sides of the house, where did you install yours? Close to the electric meter or close to the gas connection?

I appreciate the feedback.
        Either. Just away from bedroom walls.

Comment

I put the generator panel and switch right outside my utility room where our main panel is and put the generator in the garage along with a 100 gallon propane tank. I am going to put in a little doggie door in the door between the garage (detached garage) and the house to run the generator wire from the generator to the transfer switch. I can vent the garage with the door and a window. This should work and will keep me from having to move the generator and keep it out of the weather.

Comment

My whole house is about 6 feet from the switch and power pole...tank about 10ft.

Comment

Home Generator Placement

Put it on the side of the house farthest from the rooms occupied most or at least far from the bedroom.

I put ours in the edge of the woods about 40 yards from the house. This put it on end of house that has entered and opposite end of house from electric meter. Neither was an issue, just had to upsize the wire.

Cost a little extra for both wire and copper tubing but it was worth it because I didn’t want to look at nor mow around the generator and propane tank right next to the house.

Comment

Working...
              X