Well Tank Freeze Protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Tank Freeze Protection?

Just had a water well drilled. What should I do for freeze protection of the well tank? Not too interested in building an enclosure around it.

I wrapped moving blankets around mine then tarp over it . Then made a tarp enclosure around everything stuck a heat lamp in there. Nothing broke during the freeze last year. My jon boat was on the north side. That’s just because it was getting really cold for so long
    Attached Files

Comment

I know the obvious answer is to pour antifreeze down the well but it taste terrible

Comment

Nothing just run it w hose running
        It constantly pulls 60 degree water up and keeps the tank above freeze.. did mine like this last year and zero problems

Comment

We lost power for over 24 hours so I think the moving blankets and tarp helped

Comment

make a tarp tent over it and put a light under the tarp, so this enough times and you will reconsider that well house!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              It constantly pulls 60 degree water up and keeps the tank above freeze.. did mine like this last year and zero problems
              This works. Just keep water running. It worked great on mine in the big freeze last year until ERCOT decided to cut the power off.

Comment

I went redneck fabulous. Block of styrofoam from old boat dock. Ugly as sun but works. :-)
                Attached Files

Comment

Why would you not want to protect your investment the best that you can?

Comment

this works until you lose power .... and its off for several days.

wrap it and if its going to be really cold temp shelter with plywood with propane heat source OR drain entire system is only sure way...

Comment

The well and the well tank are separated by about 75 ft. So on the well i plan to turn a 55 gal barrel over it with a light. I would need to get approval from the HOA for a well house. So heat trace, moving blankets and tarps sound like a good idea. What i do on exposed piping is insulate over one of the humidity control heaters and just leave it plugged in until spring.

Comment

Tarp with drop light under it. I was told by my well guy that it is very hard to freeze the water inside.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                          The well and the well tank are separated by about 75 ft. So on the well i plan to turn a 55 gal barrel over it with a light. I would need to get approval from the HOA for a well house. So heat trace, moving blankets and tarps sound like a good idea. What i do on exposed piping is insulate over one of the humidity control heaters and just leave it plugged in until spring.
                          Are you insulating the well it’s self or the exposed piping & tank? The way it sounds is the well and I’ve never done that on our place and we have 9 wells drilled. Only one has a pressure tank to supply water to the house, but I built a well house for that one and insulated it. The ones in the pasture I’ve just insulated the exposed piping coming out of the ground to the holding tanks for livestock/animals. Never had a problem. The ones in the pasture I will turn off if I know it’s going to be cold like last year.
                          Last edited by Laner7; 01-18-2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                            Tarp with drop light under it. I was told by my well guy that it is very hard to freeze the water inside.
                            That’s what I experienced last year. We have a place in Fayetteville. The well and the well tank are in a well house. There was no protection on the well tank and it was not damaged.

Comment

This works until the pressure switch freezes between pump cycles. When this happens it thinks there is pressure and will never turn on

Comment

Working...
                              X