Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jury Duty - If you have a way out, do you take it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sent notice to be chosen for a jury a few years ago, the guy on trial had an interpreter. I asked the judge/court if the guy on trial was an illegal, the judge said it shouldn't matter.....I said it does matter to me. He asked why, I told him that if he is here illegally he needs to be deported back to Mexico and dropped out of a plane at a high rate of speed (it was a rape case). The judge then asked the rest of the people that were there if it mattered to them, all but about 2-3 people raised their hands.....he had to clear the panel and get the next batch of people in there.
    That being said, I think you should be on a jury if you qualify, but I also don't believe in wasting tax-payer dollars.
    Illegals------deport at a high rate of speed
    Video proof you did it-----why even waste the time, go to jail.
    Temporary insanity cases------really?

Comment

I actually enjoyed the times I got picked to be on a jury . They were short trials but very eye opening .

Comment

I get called yearly for the local, have yet to sit on a a jury though. Got a summons for Federal for this week actually but I got out of it for the simple reason that you had to be available close to 2 hours away for 5 days. I am a single Mom with no family close by. I have to drop the kid at school by 7:30 and pick her up at 5:30. Cant drop her off and still make the 2 hour drive and get there by 8am... If it was local I would have done it in a heart beat

Comment

I was foreman on a federal case once on a gun related question. It was good that I was there to make sure a drug dealer got his minimum mandatory extra five years!

Comment

Personally, I think the whole process it interesting. I’ve been picked 4 times for jury’s. 3 criminal, one civil. I’d do it again.

Now, sittin in the court house all day and not gettin picked really sux.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
              Don't let that fool you Steph.
              I'm a conservative safety man in the trucking business. I've been selected on 4 juries, and one of those was a vehicle accident between a car and truck.

I often wonder why I haven’t been summoned. Maybe I was and never knew.

I don’t know any FFs or LEOs that were selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been foreman on two Murder cases. Both times wanted to give death penalty but we ended up getting life in prison. What was bad was the murderer was out on bail for killing someone else but they couldn't tell us that until after the trail.

Comment

I used to be the do my civic duty guy.
                  Sat on three juries and found out our system isn't right. Most of the time you go waste at least half a day just so some crappy defense attorney can ask you some irrelevant question and dismiss you or you get dismissed because the defendant cut a plea deal at the last minute.
                  If you actually sit then you are gonna face a fight with the bleeding hearts on the jury who think the video, the witnesses and the cop are just targeting a poor misunderstood person who hasn't had a fair shake in life just to get a conviction and not half the time they deserve.
                  I've done my duty. I would take any excuse I could to avoid it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by DRT; 01-12-2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Been called several times, but only chosen once. Last spring, I served on the first case in Cooke county since the start of covid. It was a sexual abuse of a child. The girl who was abused was 25 now and had reported it years ago. For some reason, nothing was done about it. Somehow it came up again and the sorry SOB finally got what he deserved. He is never getting out of prison again. Pretty sure he was already in there anyway, but he will now be there for life.

The process for picking a jury is pretty boring, but the actual court process was pretty interesting.

Comment

Been summoned once but didn’t show up, really don’t care for any of it

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Been summoned a few times, selected once. First case was two Mexicans stabbing each other. Come trial time they couldn’t be found. Imagine that !

Second case was Father accused ex of having sex with her 17 year old stepson. She had a lawyer that ran rings around our hick DA and a mistrial was declared. I was glad because the little bastage was sitting over there smirking most of the time and I guarantee he was no child. He knew exactly what he did and was probably bragging to his buddies about it.

So, actually everyone’s time was wasted except the accused and the accuser, but I don’t regret serving and have always just let the chips fall when summoned.
                        Having sex with a 17-year-old is legal if you were in Texas.

Having sex with your mother is not.

Just sayin’……

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                          I often wonder why I haven’t been summoned. Maybe I was and never knew.

I don’t know any FFs or LEOs that were selected.

I was on a jury of a drug possession case at the time that I was the commander of our street crime unit in a case involved with the street crime unit from a neighboring department.

And like all jurors, I was not selected. I failed to be eliminated.

Comment

I just show up in my patrol uniform and the defense strikes me pretty fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                              No, I go every time. Too many ****ty ppl don’t show up and those are the ones that you would never want deciding your case. I’ll show up and normally get sent but but I did it. I was a foreman on a week long trial in Dallas. Actually pretty interesting.

Been through a few in your Uncle Rusty's courtroom, he even put me on a Grand Jury once.
                              Sure miss him!

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                                I just show up in my patrol uniform and the defense strikes me pretty fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                                I was on a jury pool maybe 10-15 years ago for DWI. Did not have my uniform on but….

During the voir dire, The defense attorney called me out as being a police officer in front of the rest of the jury pool and the purpose was to use me as part of his defense against a state trooper.

He asked me if I was familiar with standardize field sobriety testing. Yes, I am familiar with and certified in SFST. He got almost giddy after that. Oh, since you are certified do you know how many tests are supposed to be performed? Sure, the battery includes three tests, the walk in turn, the one leg stand and horizontal gaze nystagmus.

Then I thought he was going to pass out and was so excited. His opening statement in the vour dire was that the trooper was unprofessional and did not do his job correctly. So he asked me (and I thought this was improper and surprised the DA did not object) if the trooper did not perform all three tests, was he acting unprofessionally? I glanced at the judge and the DA and said, do you really want me to explain to the jury pool why he did not perform all three tests?

He said no further questions and then went on with his question for the group and ignored me from that point.

Apparently he did not want me to say, the reason that the trooper could not do the one leg stand and walking and turn was the guy was so intoxicated that he would fall down and hurt himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X