No announcement yet.

Offshore Fishing Trip ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just know that if you do this, he is likely to never want to fish freshwater again. My 15yr son is ate up with offshore fishing and had almost zero desire to wet a hook in freshwater. He jumps at any and every chance to head out offshore.

Comment

Could be the worst 12 hours of his life if you are unsure if he gets seasick offshore. You can go to his doctor and get a scoplamine patch just to be safe and have him put it on the night before. ~$70.
      I say all the above from experience.

Comment

Wait until July and go on a few snapper trips I think that’s the easiest break in into offshore

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          Could be the worst 12 hours of his life if you are unsure if he gets seasick offshore. You can go to his doctor and get a scoplamine patch just to be safe and have him put it on the night before. ~$70.
          I second this medicine, it works very well. The Transderm Scop patch is a necessary item for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Why I suggested just on a short trip or going with Glenn if the goal is to catch fish.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              I want my son to hook up on some fish. Can you guarantee that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              There’s only two things guaranteed in life... death and taxes

Hope y’all get on em soon

Comment

When the shrimpers kick off their season - as Glen mentioned - this is a great day trip opportunity.

July - August - chase the shrimpers and jig - live baits - deep drop - troll - a lot goes on in a day run.

The longer trips, if one is seasick, can be brutal for those sick. And paying to lay around inside - we will catch fish for them so everyone goes home with coolers full of fish.

These trips - get you dialed in on technique and gear - boat gear is OK - this gets you aboard and from there - learning from those who are fishing next to you - many have decades on deck and others - are bringing their next aboard as their beginning.

TUNA & WAHOO - SKIPJACK TUNA - Snappers -Kings - Sharks - Cuda - etc etc

Comment

Sparkles is spot on as well - Snapper day trip - another fun fish and as you box snapper - I fish several rigged rods - casting lures and jigging for other species - with extra rods rigged to cover COBIA - MAHI MAHI - KINGS - AJs (catch release if not season) GROUPER and on Dolphin Express - Captain Tim soaks quality shark baits on an 80 or 130 class offshore standup rod - for MAKO and MASSIVE SHARKS.

He will hook them and it's up to someone aboard - to work it in.

Everynow and then, these snapper trips can bring in some big snapper - this one went 24lbs and pulled a 2speed AVET MXL to the bottom over and over and over till he had enough.

I had two toads - the other was next to 20lbs.

Prefer to eat the smaller snapper but - these grill GREAT!

SAVE THE THROATS AND GRILL THEM TOO!

Gave Chelsea a gift - on this snapper trip - she's the Captains lil Sister.

And we had Shriner's kids - out on a day snapper run - they all had a blast!

She was getting tired - snapper was staying down - Chelsea and I coached and she got her second wind - decking her first saltwater fish offshore.

Boat rods = low gear single speed and it's a load. Kids and learning anglers offshore - learn the techniques - hands on.

Comment

BlueFin - out of Freeport TX

We went with them one year, on an overnight trip - or two day trip - can't remember?

They have half day - full day and multi The skippers who run this boat, are commercial offshore fishermen (grouper) when they aren't running this boat for recreation. They know bottom fish and deep drop techniques - 900 - 1600 ft down for Barrel and Tilefish - Swordfish and as we found - not on this boat but doing the same thing out of Port A - massive THRESHER SHARKS - 15ft variety. options.

Fishing this deep - this is what these fish feed on below - this was puked out of one of our Tilefish mouths - as we decked the fish.

I managed to catch and release a 70lb class Amberjack on this trip, hooked him 900 ft down and worked him up all the way.

Daytrip out of Dolphin Docks - a mix for the day - summer time Port A

Some solid AFRICAN POMPANO on this trip as well - they hit jigs - glow jigs about 100ft down - solid AFRICAN POMPS!

We hooked Poco Bueno up with fresh shark baits - he went on to win SHARKATHON this year on PINS. Well done Ray!

Had a bunch of web warriors eat me alive for keeping jackfish. They have no idea why - just leave them wondering.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 01-10-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                      I run a 36ft contender with trips.Get with me and hop on a trip. Fill a couple of crew spots. I always beat the fish up. Snapper, kings, aj, grouper. If the weather is right might sneak out for some tile or swords.
                      That off shore game is easy when ya got it dialed in.
                      Always fun. I run out of Galveston or Freeport
                      I would take this man up on his offer. He’s got the boat and equipment to put you on them. If he’s that confident that’s the guy I want to fish with! We took my 23’ bay boat 53 miles out of Packery and caught fish at every stop. Main thing is having some good numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                        When the shrimpers kick off their season - as Glen mentioned - this is a great day trip opportunity.

July - August - chase the shrimpers and jig - live baits - deep drop - troll - a lot goes on in a day run.

The longer trips, if one is seasick, can be brutal for those sick. And paying to lay around inside - we will catch fish for them so everyone goes home with coolers full of fish.

These trips - get you dialed in on technique and gear - boat gear is OK - this gets you aboard and from there - learning from those who are fishing next to you - many have decades on deck and others - are bringing their next aboard as their beginning.

TUNA & WAHOO - SKIPJACK TUNA - Snappers -Kings - Sharks - Cuda - etc etc

How do we go catch tuna? We don’t get seasick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                          I run a 36ft contender with trips.Get with me and hop on a trip. Fill a couple of crew spots. I always beat the fish up. Snapper, kings, aj, grouper. If the weather is right might sneak out for some tile or swords.
                          That off shore game is easy when ya got it dialed in.
                          Always fun. I run out of Galveston or Freeport
                          I 2nd or 3rd taking this man up on his offer. Don’t even put the thought of sea sickness in your boys head.

Comment

Dramamine day before and day of

Comment

Bluefin Freeport - tuna trips - Freeport waterfront inside near downtown.
                              Dolphin Express & La Pesca do multi day tuna trips Port Aransas out of Dolphin Docks
                              The Pelican and The Kingfisher - Captain Kelly's Deep Sea HQ Port Aransas
                              Scat Cat - Fishermans Wharf Port Aransas

Last year - Dolphin Express decked the last bluefin tuna in the GOM - (5 fish limit in the entire gulf) fish went 610lbs - this broke the old State Record but - this wasn't the biggest in 2021 = APRIL 2021

Another at Fishermans wharf - made the State record at 876lb - APRIL 2021

The year before - The Pelican - Deep Sea HQs decked a bluefin that taped 400 plus pounds

The fleet in Port Aransas - all listed here - put tuna in the box - every year.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                If you’re just wanting to do a day trip and catch some fish give Capt Mark Holland a call. He’s out of Matagorda. Been fishing with him for well over 10 years now. You will catch fish till you’re wore out.
                                Mark is a great guy and does a good job. He catches fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X