No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just listed and electric bike in the classifieds if anyone was thinking about it. Good luck!

Comment

Did anyone get the parking tag yet? Haven’t gotten an email with it yet and hunt starts tomorrow.

Comment

Just put a sign on your dash that says...I am a permitted hunter.

In November, I had a local driving on County road and asked me about the vehicles on the road and why the gate was open.

I mentioned the gate was open for HUNTERS ONLY...as per the sign. He missed the sign. Only gonna get worse

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          Just put a sign on your dash that says...I am a permitted hunter.

In November, I had a local driving on County road and asked me about the vehicles on the road and why the gate was open.

I mentioned the gate was open for HUNTERS ONLY...as per the sign. He missed the sign. Only gonna get worse

Try emailing george_garcia@fws.gov. That’s who sent the parking permit for the last archery hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

too late, folks are there now. they ain't got no printers on their phone

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
              Did anyone get the parking tag yet? Haven’t gotten an email with it yet and hunt starts tomorrow.

There’s a printing place on the island. LANWR Archery 2021 Vehicle permit.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                You're a regular, you know what to do! [emoji2957] Go hunt! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                  Whelp, sorry bud. I remember you went back in (on the ATV) but, with an empty cart you had to load yourself. Sorry if I'm mistaken about that detail.

From my perspective, ya'll had an ATV to run around unit 5 and maximize success based on you having a bad ankle and at the cost of potentially ruining other hunters opportunities in the area. Your buddy shared ya'lls method of success with me which involved walking through thick brush throughout that day (difficult, even without an injury). With the available information and observations, it appeared to me you worked the system.

Right or wrong, it's not unreasonable that I reached that conclusion if you step back and look at the situation from my perspective.

Anyway, back to topic and good luck on the rest of the hunts everyone. Look forward to seeing more success and a full board.

That's why its not good to aasume, worry about the things you can control.

Comment

Well, my very first morning ever on LANWR was an exciting one. Missing the scouting day, I stumbled in here blind with the plan of scouting/stalking with the wind. 5 minutes in the hunt I see a buck standing 30 yards in the brush. He spooked as I drew. Moved to another area where it opened up some and caught a deer 100 yards out. Next thing I know there are 6 bucks here all milling around. I watch them for a while trying to determine which trails they were using, which I did. One buck was a stud, 10 point that was way mature. I finally made a move and got on the same brush line as them. With the wind in my face, I slowly eased forward. I catch movement as the 8 that was out steps out at 15 yards. He turns away from me and I draw. I squeaked several times but he never turned. I ended up playing cat and mouse with this buck over the next hour. I get set up in the middle of his area and before long catch him coming right at me. I drew again but he spotted me and spooked. Would have been a pretty cool story to have killed my very first morning out here. Below is the big 10 if you can make it out any. He looked remarkably similar to a dead head I found right near him.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                      Well, my very first morning ever on LANWR was an exciting one. Missing the scouting day, I stumbled in here blind with the plan of scouting/stalking with the wind. 5 minutes in the hunt I see a buck standing 30 yards in the brush. He spooked as I drew. Moved to another area where it opened up some and caught a deer 100 yards out. Next thing I know there are 6 bucks here all milling around. I watch them for a while trying to determine which trails they were using, which I did. One buck was a stud, 10 point that was way mature. I finally made a move and got on the same brush line as them. With the wind in my face, I slowly eased forward. I catch movement as the 8 that was out steps out at 15 yards. He turns away from me and I draw. I squeaked several times but he never turned. I ended up playing cat and mouse with this buck over the next hour. I get set up in the middle of his area and before long catch him coming right at me. I drew again but he spotted me and spooked. Would have been a pretty cool story to have killed my very first morning out here. Below is the big 10 if you can make it out any. He looked remarkably similar to a dead head I found right near him.

Very cool first day indeed! Thanks for the updates… keep them coming!

Comment

That’s a killer first morning Colton! Whack ‘em and stack ‘em! I love it out there. I was bummed I didn’t draw this year.

Comment

Sounds like you found a good spot. See any Nilgai?

Comment

Good times and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              Sounds like you found a good spot. See any Nilgai?

We were driving back in at lunch with traffic everywhere. About middle ways down unit 6 I hit the breaks and told my buddy look. Backed up and there were 2 Nilgai standing 15 yards off the road in thick brush just watching us. Only ones we’ve seen.

Comment

Good luck Colton. This weather is gonna make for a great hunt!!! I’d be back in the same spot in the morning waiting on that big deer to come back thru

Comment

Working...
                                X