Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
    The 6.5 is a Savage Axis Heavy Barrel in Camo, and it shoot ridiculously well, and I'm no savage fan. Literally 3 bullets touching at 100 yards. And that particular rifle seems to fit youth particularly well.
    I am a huge Savage fan. My kids and wife went from .22 to .22 mag to .222 to .243.
    I cut down a .222 and the .243. Added large butt pads.
    Wish I had a suppressor back then

I used 80 grain rem. in the .243. Now son and wife shoot .270s with large kick pads.

But that was before the Creedmore. I like my mine cause it’s already threaded

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
      7mm-08. Start them on the Hornady light loads, they are about the same energy and recoil as a 243. They can grow into the full power 7mm-08 loads.
      Solid advice right here!

Comment

Check out this thread. Look at the pics. Keep an open mind.

DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

I had my wife (who has never shot a rifle) hitting at 200 and 300 yds today with a 223. Literally her 3rd and 4th shots ever with a rifle. The no recoil thing is a big deal.
        Last edited by TxAg; 11-25-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

7mm-08. Start them on the Hornady light loads, they are about the same energy and recoil as a 243. They can grow into the full power 7mm-08 loads.
          I bought my oldest son a 7mm-08 and used it with hornady custom lite. No issues at all

Bought my youngest boy a 6.5 Grendel to be different. Had a less than stellar experience with it and then I shot a deer and had less than stellar results as well. A .22-250 produced better results.

Both my kids and my wife shoot A 7mm-08. The custom light ammo is real similar to a 6.5 cm and is devastating on whitetail size game. We now use 140 grain accubonds and wife killed a kudu and a zebra with hers.

Imo the 7mm-08 is one of the best deer rounds ever made.

That said, a 6.5 CM is a great youth rifle round, a great deer round in general

Comment

22-250 would be a great choice. Excellent round. I’ve shot many a deer and hog in over 40 years of hunting with a 22-250. 7-08 and 25-06 would be my next choices.

Comment

Remington Model Seven in 7MM-08.

Comment

This is what mine have and use the same ammo. My 5yr old handles it no problem

Comment

The 6.5 Grendel is a perfect transition caliber and there’s some really nice guns like the Howa and CZ mini action rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My daughter(15yrs old) has hunted with a 22-250 for the last 5 seasons. She has killed numerous deer with it! Very rarely does one run more than 20-30yds. Only thing I don’t like about it is that there is never a pass through on bigger body bucks. But they don’t run really anywhere. I keep telling myself I need to get her to shoot a bigger caliber but I really don’t know if it will produce any better results?? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it��

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
                      I like the 22-250 with partition ammo. I also picked up a 7-08 last year and have been surprised at the light recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This is exactly what I did. Started off with the Browning micro-Midas in .22-250 and then switched over to a Weatherby in 7mm-08.

Comment

I grew up hunting with a 30-30 and a 243. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor now I think all three are great youth guns. I can’t see you going wrong with any of the guns mentioned though. Right now for me it comes down to bullet availability

Comment

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

I’ve had a 223, 243, 7mm08 and 6.5cm.

I ended up starting my kids on a 223 axis youth and 243 youth ruger american. If I had to choose one to start them with I’d do a 223 and keep shots at less than 50 yards due to the low recoil. Then I’d move them up to a 243 or 7mm08.

One problem with the youth sized models is they are lighter so they end up having more recoil than a full sized gun. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

Another vote for the 7-08. My 10yo daughter shot her black bear this year with the reduced recoil loads at 100 yards and it ran 15 yards. I’m highly impressed with the caliber and the ammo.

Comment

Yet another vote for 7mm-08...its my wife and kids go to, and if I have to be honest, I’ve used it myself more than any other rifle in the last 4-5 years. Great round

Comment

Working...
                                X