? For the artifact guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? For the artifact guys

I have found 3 similar sized arrowheads in the same area, probably 20’ circle. One a few years ago after a rain. The other two in the last 2 weeks. What can you tell me about them? Any idea on how old? This is in a flat about 110 yards from a creek. What are the chances there could have been a camp nearby and finding more? Found in Atascosa County.

No help, kool find!

Comment

Looks like you have found a Indian camp!

Comment

Looks like a Ensor but I might be wrong.

Comment

Take a rake to the area or a shovel and a screen

Comment

I'm not a exactly sure how to name those . I am sure they are middle to early archaic. A good guess would be 5000 years old. Great flaking on that first one. There will be a bunch more right there.

Comment

Those are interesting. Hopefully you can find one a little more complete and post it. Those have characteristics of a couple different types. There will for sure be more where you found those.

Comment

99.9% certain those are Darl. There is probably more around that area, I would dig a couple test pits and look for flakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                  99.9% certain those are Darl. There is probably more around that area, I would dig a couple test pits and look for flakes.
                  Lots of archaic stemmed points get called Darl. They really arent quite right for classic darl though. Maybe closer to Cupp. I like them at any rate.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 11-25-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I find flakes and broken flint all the time. Not many points or pieces of points. May have to dig some

Comment

So cool!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Lots of archaic stemmed points get called Darl. They really arent quite right for classic darl though. Maybe closer to Cupp. I like them at any rate.
                        I typed them as Darl because I have extensive knowledge of the area and they fit the bill... fine edge re-sharpening, classic darl shoulders & base, and correct size for the area.

I have a site in Atascosa that was a Darl camp... some of them will be very finely made and some will even have oblique flaking.

Comment

Cupp may well be darl related. The camp we just dug on the Brazos was a huge Darl site and had classic Cupp at the same levels .

I'm having trouble posting a link on the this phone but a quick search of Cupp arrowhead will show you this type

Comment

I typed them as Darl because I have extensive knowledge of the area and they fit the bill... fine edge re-sharpening, classic darl shoulders & base, and correct size for the area.

I have a site in Atascosa that was a Darl camp... some of them will be very finely made and some will even have oblique flaking.

Sent you a PM

Comment

Those Cupps are pretty cool points but I have never seen or heard of one being found in South or Central Texas. There are very few stemmed convex based points down here. I think I have only found 1 in 30 years. In Central Texas Darl and Ensor are found together... in South Texas Darls are pretty isolated, I rarely find other points on a Darl camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X