Any Iowa non res hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Iowa non res hunters?

Have access to 700+ acres in zone 7 along the Iowa river. Been doing some research into non res hunting up there, but often the best advice comes from experience. Any info would be appreciated.

1. Start buying points now. All non resident is a draw, and it takes 3-4 points to make it.

2. Don't expect it to be anything like what you are used to here. No feeders allowed, and people make their money from farming, not leasing hunting rights, so that takes priority. Meaning you could be in stand ad when it's time to cut corn, they will cut the corn.

3. The deer there are bigger body wise, so the head gear generally looks smaller. The does are bigger than hill country bucks. There are also a lot fewer deer there than here, so sometimes an all day sit where you see 5 deer is a really good day.

I haven't hunted Iowa specifically, but I have hunted the Midwest a few times. I am in the process of accumulating points for Iowa and 2022/23 it should happen. You really want to focus everything around the rut, because there it is textbook. There is no wondering when it started or if it's on, the woods just seem to come alive with bucks looking for does.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      1. Start buying points now. All non resident is a draw, and it takes 3-4 points to make it.

2. Don't expect it to be anything like what you are used to here. No feeders allowed, and people make their money from farming, not leasing hunting rights, so that takes priority. Meaning you could be in stand ad when it's time to cut corn, they will cut the corn.

3. The deer there are bigger body wise, so the head gear generally looks smaller. The does are bigger than hill country bucks. There are also a lot fewer deer there than here, so sometimes an all day sit where you see 5 deer is a really good day.

I haven't hunted Iowa specifically, but I have hunted the Midwest a few times. I am in the process of accumulating points for Iowa and 2022/23 it should happen. You really want to focus everything around the rut, because there it is textbook. There is no wondering when it started or if it's on, the woods just seem to come alive with bucks looking for does.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. The land is family owned and ag leased. I saw online about the point system so will see what needs to be done there. I know the deer population isn't near here in Texas but at the farm we always see a lot of deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin. View Post
        Thank you for the info. The land is family owned and ag leased. I saw online about the point system so will see what needs to be done there. I know the deer population isn't near here in Texas but at the farm we always see a lot of deer.
        Should be fairly similar to Collin County hunting, except for the part where we get to bait the deer in Texas.

Comment

[QUOTE=bowhuntntxn;14707486]1. Start buying points now. All non resident is a draw, and it takes 3-4 points to make it.

You mind sharing a link for the points? Cant find it on the DNR website.

I realize they aren't up to purchase yet, but like to plan ahead.

Comment

[quote=Kevin.;14708051]
            Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post

You mind sharing a link for the points? Cant find it on the DNR website.

I realize they aren't up to purchase yet, but like to plan ahead.
            I don't think the information for 2020 is out yet but last year was May 1-May 31st or something like that. I looked at my account and I purchased my 2019 point on May 5th.

Comment

I’m also accumulating points to hunt in Zone 7. Depending on which season you choose you may be able to get in with just 2.
              I have May 1 on my calendar to apply this year. They haven’t released the season dates yet that I know of. Keep me posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any specific questions? I hunt in Iowa and across the river in Nebraska. My Iowa farm is well established but the new 3500 acre Nebraska farm has been a project and has made me a better hunter learning deer.

Comment

Looking at early bow or early gun season. Not too keen on Iowa weather after mid December. Can I apply for both or do I have to choose one?

How do you go about getting your meat back to Texas? Do have someone up there process it and go back? Or quarter it and keep it iced down? Do you need paperwork per state line? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Looking at early bow or early gun season. Not too keen on Iowa weather after mid December. Can I apply for both or do I have to choose one?

How do you go about getting your meat back to Texas? Do have someone up there process it and go back? Or quarter it and keep it iced down? Do you need paperwork per state line? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
                    I have hunted as a non resident and a resident. I now live in SE Iowa.

Here is the link to the Iowa DNR nonresident hunting information.

There is information on how many preference points Zone 7 will require. It looks like you will have a good chance to draw in 7 with 2 points. I live in Zone 5 which has trended towards 4 points in the last couple of years. A friend drew with 3 in 2018.

You have to choose which season you want to draw. Bow, early muzzleloader, Shotgun 1, Shotgun 2, or late muzzleloader. You can use certain straight wall rifle cartridges during both Shotgun seasons. Bow season this year was from October 1 to Dec. 6th then reopened after the two shotgun seasons on Dec. 23 and closed on Jan. 10.

There are plenty of processors up here. If you kill a deer early in your hunt you could take it to a processor. You can also just quarter the deer, ice it down and take it back that way. All you need is your transportation tag which is part of your license.

If I had only had 3 days to bow hunt in Iowa I would make sure I was here on November 7, 8, and 9th. I would center those days in my hunt. Anytime from Halloween until Thanksgiving can be great, but from about November 5th thru November 12th the intense part on the rut is on....big time.

Also, don't be too picky. Although there are huge bucks in Iowa they are not running around everywhere and they are smart. A lot of hunters eat tag soup because they expect to get a chance at a 160 - 170 inch buck.

If you need anymore info I will try to answer any questions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-18-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                      I have hunted as a non resident and a resident. I now live in SE Iowa.

Here is the link to the Iowa DNR nonresident hunting information.

There is information on how many preference points Zone 7 will require. It looks like you will have a good chance to draw in 7 with 2 points. I live in Zone 5 which has trended towards 4 points in the last couple of years. A friend drew with 3 in 2018.

You have to choose which season you want to draw. Bow, early muzzleloader, Shotgun 1, Shotgun 2, or late muzzleloader. You can use certain straight wall rifle cartridges during both Shotgun seasons. Bow season this year was from October 1 to Dec. 6th then reopened after the two shotgun seasons on Dec. 23 and closed on Jan. 10.

There are plenty of processors up here. If you kill a deer early in your hunt you could take it to a processor. You can also just quarter the deer, ice it down and take it back that way. All you need is your transportation tag which is part of your license.

If I had only had 3 days to bow hunt in Iowa I would make sure I was here on November 7, 8, and 9th. I would center those days in my hunt. Anytime from Halloween until Thanksgiving can be great, but from about November 5th thru November 12th the intense part on the rut is on....big time.

Also, don't be too picky. Although there are huge bucks in Iowa they are not running around everywhere and they are smart. A lot of hunters eat tag soup because they expect to get a chance at a 160 - 170 inch buck.

If you need anymore info I will try to answer any questions.

Thanks for the information! I dont plan on being picky. Meat on the table is what I'm looking for. Along with enjoying time with family and friends I rarely get to see.

I see the "general deer/antlerless-only" tag. Is this for just 1? 1 each? Cant seem to find the information explaining that fee. Also I dont see any antler restrictions in the book from last season. I may be over looking it. Are there any antler restrictions? Thanks again!

Comment

Your nonresident license includes a general deer tag (buck or antlerless) and an antlerless tag. No antler restrictions.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!

One more question and I'll stop. I'll purchase a point this May/or when available. As you mentioned and on the chart, looks like we'll be good with 2 points in zone 7. If we go all in for the license and draw in 2021, will that point with purchase count? Making 2?

Comment

This will be first year to buy PP. I'm not sure of the zone I'm wanting to hunt yet but I will be buying a point once I break it down. I'm expecting a 3 to 5 year wait time though.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!

One more question and I'll stop. I'll purchase a point this May/or when available. As you mentioned and on the chart, looks like we'll be good with 2 points in zone 7. If we go all in for the license and draw in 2021, will that point with purchase count? Making 2?
                              I don't think so. I am pretty sure you need the two points in your account. In other words trying to draw and buying a point equals the same process. You need the points first then draw.

Here is the 2019 draw results. There were several that drew archery with 1 point. As you can see it is much easier to draw for gun.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-19-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X