Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #51
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Nope, most are just freeloading. Like mentioned above, lots of gypsies and that is their scam. I have watched several times at the end of the day when a woman in a car drove around and picked them all up.

What I do contribute is to food banks and soup kitchens. Each year I buy several cases of Girl Scout cookies and give them to the kitchens. They love being able to put a desert on a meal for the needy. In the winter here, when they run the case lot sales in grocery store I will buy cases of soup or chili and drop off at the food bank.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #52
jer_james
Pope & Young

I don't mind it every now and again. Don't carry cash around a lot, and don't believe any of them. Just do it on the random chance they may actually need some help.

As others have said, what they do is on them.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #53
spotsanddots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Someone above mentioned the guy feeding some to his dog. At least he thought about his four legged loyal friend. Heck, most of the time, I feel more sorry for the dog.
My dad was in an I-HOP once, a guy outside was selling leather key chains he made. My dad bought one. The guy immediately packed up and took off across the street to the booze store. My dad was POed.
A friend of mine came out of a breakfast shop one morning and handed one some breakfast. They said "wheres the coffee?" I dont think I could have held back on that one.
spotsanddots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #54
billfromtx
Pope & Young

I have offered to buy beggars lunch when approached. Most have declined wanting cash which I did not give. A few have accepted my lunch offer and seemed very grateful.
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #55
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

I don't give money. Last one who wanted money I offered my huge breakfast taco. He said no thanks, "I'm allergic to eggs."
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #56
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsanddots View Post
Someone above mentioned the guy feeding some to his dog. At least he thought about his four legged loyal friend. Heck, most of the time, I feel more sorry for the dog.
My dad was in an I-HOP once, a guy outside was selling leather key chains he made. My dad bought one. The guy immediately packed up and took off across the street to the booze store. My dad was POed.
A friend of mine came out of a breakfast shop one morning and handed one some breakfast. They said "wheres the coffee?" I dont think I could have held back on that one.
That would have made me laugh as I walked by.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #57
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

It depends. In the past I have offered to help them get work, if they refuse, no I don't give money.

If they are hungry, out of gas, etc., I will buy eats or gas for them.

When they address me, I look them over real good, new cell phone, painted toenails, clean appearance, good clothing and accessories, overweight. Anything that might seem unusual for a homeless person. No will be the answer.

Its always better to give food or a needful item, never money.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #58
elhefe
Ten Point

I saw a kid one time holding a sign which read, "Not gonna lie, Need money for Prom" I don't know if he got any money that day but he got none from me.
elhefe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #59
TCR˛
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

I used to give some every now and then but stopped when I gave a man $10 for gas so he could make it to wherever he was going, he said $10 was all he needed so I prepaid for it inside the store. Watched him drive down to the next gas station, get out and walk around asking for money. Have had a few turn down the offer of buying them food instead of giving them cash.
TCR˛ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #60
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Oh man that’s heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
Years ago I was with my mom and my sister eating at a Taco Bell after running some errands. When we pulled in the parking lot there was a man standing on the corner asking for change or food. We went in and ordered, and about 5 minutes later the man came in and walked up to the counter to order. I think he ordered a $0.89 burrito or something and as he was trying to count his change he dropped some and it rolled under the counter. He was on his hands and knees trying to get the change that had rolled under the counter. He kept apologizing to the people in line, and we noticed that he started crying. I assume from being embarrassed. Fortunately the woman behind him paid for his food. He thanked her numerous times and walked over to a table, sat down, bowed his head and said a prayer. Before we left we ordered some more food and walked over and gave it to him along with $10. He thanked us and said god bless with tears running down his face. After we got done we waited in the car to see where he would go when he left. He walked across the street under the overpass where he had a dog on a leash. He sat down next to a sleeping bag and shared some of the food we gave him with the dog. I do not know his story or how he wound up in his situation, but after seeing him trying to pay for his food we truly felt sorry for him. I normally never give to beggars but felt like this instance it was the right thing to do.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #61
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnatural View Post
Dos Equis for me
I love XX too. It was just easier to spell Tecate and I still spelled it wrong.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #62
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
My first construction project in downtown Austin completely changed my view towards the homeless. I use to have sympathy and think how unfortunate it was that these people were in such a situation. I quickly found out this was the exact life they wanted to live. Further, they were the most disrespectful, straight up nasty individuals that I ever came across. I hate to compartmentalize that group as a whole, but 99% were that way. I don't give a penny to them. I personally watched a guy on the corner near the job get a few handouts, then walk over to the drug dealer nearby and to get his fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My exact experience. Worked on 45 in downtown by UH. It was terrible, especially working nights down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #63
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Hail no
I did give a guy a bottle of water one time because it was a hot day and he was out there on a corner with a dog, no shade. He didn’t act too appreciative.
2 weeks ago I saw a little old lady on the corner of Mason Rd and I-10 get out of her car at a red light and set 3 bottles of water and some bananna's next to a guy who was holding a sign on the corner. He smiled and appeared to say thank you. When she drove off he kicked them all out into the street.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #64
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

If I have cash (which I usually do not) I will give them money, it is not my job to inspect what they do with the money, only to do a good dead. I hope they get food or whatever else they might need to help their situation but I can not be concerned with how they spend it. My job is to do what is right, if my daughter is in the car and she sees the homeless we have to drive to McDonalds and get them all happy meals and she will hand them out the window.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #65
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Generally no. But I had one lady approach me in a Walmart saying her grandkids needed food. I offered to take her in and buy some groceries. She got bread, peanut butter, water and juice. That’s it. I offered to get some lunch meat, she said they didn’t have a refrigerator and it would go bad. And she was truly grateful for my generosity.

Week before lst had a guy approach me telling me he was cold. Offered to take him to the store and buy a new coat, but I’d keep the tags and receipt. He quickly declined.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #66
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

I just ate peanut butter cheese crackers in front of one now at the red light at Hwy 6. She looked like she hasn’t missed many meals, but was holding a sign that said need money for food

RobinHood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #67
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I will give them food if that's what they want. But I will buy it. I won't give them any money.
bownut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #68
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Nope, but I'll give them food or drinks. Had a lady over Christmas time with her young baby stop me in the kroger parking lot that she needed money for milk and diapers and formula, etc. I told her great, lets go in the store together and I'll buy her whatever she needs. She said no, just wanted cash. We went back and forth a couple minutes and she told me to F off and went to go push her story on someone else
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #69
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

I give as God guides me. If that means the man at the corner, so be it.

Far more often I’ll feed them, but have handed out plenty of God’s money.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #70
progater
Six Point

Hunt In: Lamar County

I was basically homeless for 7 months after my house burned. I stayed at numerous places and friends houses. Never asked for a handout, made it back to work after taking about a week off to try and settle everything. I know what it is like not to have a home to go to, but I also know there is a right way and wrong way to get help, and standing on the street corner begging for money is not the right way. The Salvation Army had toiletry supplies and other supplies any person needs to survive, i know from experience.

With all that being said NO I do not give to beggers on street corners, I offer jobs, food, water but never cash.
progater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #71
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
My first construction project in downtown Austin completely changed my view towards the homeless. I use to have sympathy and think how unfortunate it was that these people were in such a situation. I quickly found out this was the exact life they wanted to live. Further, they were the most disrespectful, straight up nasty individuals that I ever came across. I hate to compartmentalize that group as a whole, but 99% were that way. I don't give a penny to them. I personally watched a guy on the corner near the job get a few handouts, then walk over to the drug dealer nearby and to get his fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Then don’t.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #72
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

No and no.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #73
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
I give as God guides me. If that means the man at the corner, so be it.

Far more often I’ll feed them, but have handed out plenty of God’s money.

This ^^^^

If it touches my heart I will. I let God sort out the bad ones .
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #74
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.
Despite the fact that I've totally disagreed with several of your other post lately, this is well said and I totally agree. The last time I gave money to someone I sat and watched them go across the street to buy a pack of cigarettes and an Old English. That's when I realized that I would have helped that guy out more by NOT giving him the money. The means are out there for people who truly need and want the help.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #75
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Silver and gold have I none...but what i do share is infinitely more valuable...
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #76
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I don’t support their addictions and I’ve watch them too many times throw food on the ground.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #77
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Most of the time I just walk / drive away, but every now and then I heard God telling me to help that person. A lot of times it isn't money that I feel led to give - it is water or food.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #78
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

It is a tough situation for sure. I guess I try to size up the individual I encounter and I make my decision based upon my gut feeling on the individual/s. I was headed to the gun range last Saturday with my 31 yr old son, we bought three breakfast Tacos but were full on two. I gave a guy at a light the third Taco. He looked like he needed it and he was extremely appreciative and went over an sat down and started chowing down. I would have probably thrown it in the trash. No harm no foul. Many of us are four paychecks away from being in a really bad place very fast. I am not too nice to the addicts and the Alcoholic's, as they put themselves in that situation. I will buy an extra meal deal occasionally if I see someone when I am grabbing lunch but luckily, I avoid going into Austin like the Plague!
Still Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #79
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I've purchased food or drinks before and offered it to them. I've given some spare change before also. I do not do either regularly, just depends on the situation.
Kmart49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #80
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

As some have stated above, I don't normally give to them but when I feel God speaking to me about it I do. There was a homeless lady that came into whataburger and counted her change and got a bite and some water and sat down to eat not far from my wife and I. The whole time I ate I kept getting a feeling to help out this lady. She never ask anyone for help just sat there with her head down. As we were finishing our food my wife said I have been thinking about that lady the whole time we have been eating and I didn't say anything to her previously. I knew then God was talking to both of us. I walked to the counter and bought a $20 gift card. When the lady went to hand it to me I ask her to go give it to the homeless woman and not even point out who purchased it. We walked out and know we did the right thing that day. If I was to give to everyone I would be broke or homeless but I have no issues If I feel led to give.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #81
R C
Four Point

I will not give money but will buy a meal if they appear authentic. This has occurred a couple of times during my travels. Have I been scammed out of a meal, it’s possible but if I can help a man when I truly believe that he needs my help, I will.
R C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #82
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Never money, but have bought food, given water, etc. In smaller towns I've given money if I knew they weren't a regular but no way in Houston.
Hooverfb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #83
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I believe we're all just a couple bad decisions away from being homeless. If I'm led to help I will.
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #84
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I make a habit of never rewarding bad behavior. The old saying that water seeks its own level applies here.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #85
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

The people I hate are the ones at gas stations needing money to get somewhere. Every single time I tell well pull around and fill your tank up, every single time they just want cash. I never give any of them cash. I’ve offered food, water, etc. never had a taker. One time I offered one a cold beer and they snagged it up quick. Lol

There was a bum that lived under the river bridge when I was in high school. Met him when we were putting them boat in. We’d trade him food and cash for beer, so they can be helpful. Lol

One other time had a bum ask me for a ride, he smelled bad and I wouldn’t let him ride in the truck. Told him to hop in the back, he wouldn’t do it.

This thread also got me thinking about bum fights. Any of y’all remember that?

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 01-24-2020 at 04:17 PM.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #86
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio
Default Do you give to beggars?

Check this book out before you give a donation to an organization that claims to help the homeless. People are giving more than ever and the problem is worse than ever.

Many homeless charities aren’t helping anyone. They’re only sustaining homeless and ultimately making the problem worse.

https://books.google.com/books?id=yL...MaD3MQ6AEIJjAA

Last edited by kyle1974; 01-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #87
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

In college I had an acquaintance I ended up living with for a year. He had some hobo friends that would ride the rails. They'd come by occasionally and I'd hear the stories and see it in action sometimes.

Go beg for some money and then buy the cheapest handle of vodka and get blitzed. .
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #88
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
The people I hate are the ones at gas stations needing money to get somewhere. Every single time I tell well pull around and fill your tank up, every single time they just want cash. I never give any of them cash. I’ve offered food, water, etc. never had a taker. One time I offered one a cold beer and they snagged it up quick. Lol

There was a bum that lived under the river bridge when I was in high school. Met him when we were putting them boat in. We’d trade him food and cash for beer, so they can be helpful. Lol

One other time had a bum ask me for a ride, he smelled bad and I wouldn’t let him ride in the truck. Told him to hop in the back, he wouldn’t do it.

This thread also got me thinking about bum fights. Any of y’all remember that?

Yes I do. That show was nuts.
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #89
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

Nope
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #90
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
As some have stated above, I don't normally give to them but when I feel God speaking to me about it I do. There was a homeless lady that came into whataburger and counted her change and got a bite and some water and sat down to eat not far from my wife and I. The whole time I ate I kept getting a feeling to help out this lady. She never ask anyone for help just sat there with her head down. As we were finishing our food my wife said I have been thinking about that lady the whole time we have been eating and I didn't say anything to her previously. I knew then God was talking to both of us. I walked to the counter and bought a $20 gift card. When the lady went to hand it to me I ask her to go give it to the homeless woman and not even point out who purchased it. We walked out and know we did the right thing that day. If I was to give to everyone I would be broke or homeless but I have no issues If I feel led to give.

Good for y’all for helping her. Anonymous is the way it’s supposed to be whenever possible.

Don’t pray in the streets like the Pharisees
Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #91
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
[/U]

Yes I do. That show was nuts.
Bumfights! Wow. Flashback.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #92
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.
This exactly.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #93
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alvin/Danbury Brazoria Co.

The area I worked in, in Houston was not the greatest. Helped a few out here and there before. Have given money to some that fell on hard luck. Nothing to panhandlers and beggars at gas stations.
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #94
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #95
mocephus
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Rio, Laguna Atascosa, Teniente Tract, and anywhere I'm invited

I never carry cash
mocephus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #96
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Nope
TacticalCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #97
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
This exactly.
To characterize people who give to others as doing so for their own glory is sad. And WAY OFF BASE from the Christian perspective.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #98
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
To characterize people who give to others as doing so for their own glory is sad. And WAY OFF BASE from the Christian perspective.
Please explain. I quoted someone else who said to give to organizations that help the homeless.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #99
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Only if the Holy Spirit moves me. I have a story but most of you won't believe it.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #100
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I have given food but never money. I pulled up to get gas one time and a guy approached me. He said his car died and needed a new battery. Said he was about $20 short on cash for a new one. As he was telling me this he pointed at a car in the parking lot that looked older, but decent. I told him to take the battery out and I would take him to the parts store just up the road and pay for the battery. He declined and said he did not want to take up my time. If I just had a few dollars to get him closer to what he needed that would be fine. We went back in forth for a minute or 2 because i was not giving this guy money. About then a guy comes out of the store and gets in the car he pointed to and said was his and drove away. He just turned around and walked off. LOL
bowaddict40 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top