Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
Hockley
Eight Point

Default Washington State / Oregon Vacation

Well it is my year to plan a surprise vacation for the wife. I am thinking about making a trip up to the Washington State / Oregon area so looking for advice on where to go and things to do. We would probably like to camp a few days and hotel a few days.

We would also like to do some kind of fishing, maybe two days of different styles. I know there are Salmon to catch up there, hopefully, but also would not mind some type of fly fishing. I heard that early August was good for Salmon?

Any tips, recommendations, references etc. would be appreciated!

Last edited by Hockley; 01-24-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

I'll be following this one for sure, we're working on planning a vacation up there too. We've seen some really cool deals on Airbnb for places to stay on Puget Sound some include kayaks and have fishing piers.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

When are you going? I was there for ten days this July, both Washington and Oregon...

Cannon Beach Oregon is good starting point, dm me if you want more.
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post
When are you going? I was there for ten days this July, both Washington and Oregon...

Cannon Beach Oregon is good starting point, dm me if you want more.
I haven't decided when yet, looking for suggestions on time. Would really like to time it with the best fishing possible.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Palehorse
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

If you have time, Olympic National park is absolutely stunning. You can go from snowy alpine to temperate rainforest to ocean beach and never leave the park. Elk, blacktail deer, and black bear are everywhere.
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I love the Pacific Northwest. Oregon has some beautiful beaches. Cannon Beach is absolutely one of the prettiest places I’ve ever seen. The cities, however, are pretty terrible.
Gig harbor Washington was really neat. Kind of had a romantic vibe to it. The Columbia River Valley has a lot of wineries if you’re into that.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
kch73
Eight Point

If you want to get out of the Texas heat, go in July or August. You need to figure how long you will be there and adjust accordingly. It's usually alot cheaper to fly into Portland than Seattle FYI...
Old 01-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
kch73
Eight Point

We spent about 1/2 time on Orcas Island in the San Juan's close to the 49th parallel, could see Canada from where we stayed. Very cool experience riding a ferry, just make reservations in advance lol...
Old 01-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post
We spent about 1/2 time on Orcas Island in the San Juan's close to the 49th parallel, could see Canada from where we stayed. Very cool experience riding a ferry, just make reservations in advance lol...
I think I just read about this in the AAA magazine
Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #10
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

Stay west of Wenatchee and Yakima and you will be good. The terrain and climate change from the desert of the columbia river basin to the rainforest of the Cascades is really cool. Lots of great fishing from big rivers with salmon, small creeks with cutthroat, rainbows, etc and alpine lakes you can hike up to and fish with a float tube. I spent 4 months in WA on a bull trout project and didn't get to see everything I wanted to. Lots of camping in the national forests.
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
Boyd1212
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County, Washington State

I currently live in Washington. I live at the base of Mount Rainier. There is a lot of nice things to see but stay away from the big cities as there is ton of drug users and homeless.
Boyd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #12
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Astoria, Cannon Beach, Leavenworth, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor, North Cascades Hiway, Mt St Helen's, Paradise Lodge Mt Rainer, Olympic National Park, etc.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
Astoria, Cannon Beach, Leavenworth, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor, North Cascades Hiway, Mt St Helen's, Paradise Lodge Mt Rainer, Olympic National Park, etc.
All this plus Multnomah Falls. I was in Oregon training for 3 weeks. Itís beautiful but down town has a bunch of homeless people and tent cities. The homeless people can be rude a few of my friends had some experiences with them.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

I vote Washington, my mother inlaw lives in port townsend, i loved it when i visited an few months ago.. there is a reasturant like a block from the ferry (still on water front, right nest to a seattle FD fire boat station) and they have the best fish and chips ive ever had. They use halibut and its amazing. The views once you get accross on the ferry are beautiful, i wanted to go to olympic NF but didnt have time. I want to move there, but its hard to get on with an FD out there when you live here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1212 View Post
I currently live in Washington. I live at the base of Mount Rainier. There is a lot of nice things to see but stay away from the big cities as there is ton of drug users and homeless.
Can you recommend and fishing guides?
Old 01-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #16
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Crater Lake National Park is an incredible place. Too much snow if you go before mid June though.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

I'd take the crown Point loop - 7 waterfalls including Multnomah falls I believe it's like the 4th largest falls all the falls have hiking trails and are right off the roadway - Timberline lodge up on Mt. Hood - even has skiing on the glacier year round - Mt. St. Helens unbelievable what the volcano did there. The sisters wilderness and Mt. Bachelor (Bend Ore.) really cool too. Crater Lake is awesome but in southern Ore.
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
kch73
Eight Point

Default Orcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
I think I just read about this in the AAA magazine
On Orcas Island the Moran State Park was awesome! Lots of Blacktail deer running around and some awesome views from Mount Constitution!

I'd put it on your travel bucket list!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #19
Hockley
Eight Point

Bumping this with hopes to get a fishing guide recommendation so I can get that booked!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #20
ATX Tyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

My fiance and I did an Oregon road trip a year or two ago at the end of July. Our route was to fly into Portland, then we drove out to the coast, all the way down the coast into Northern California to see some of the big redwood forests, and then back up central Oregon through Bend (which as far as cities go was our favorite) and then all the way up to the Hood River and back west into Portland again to fly home. Best spots for us were

Crater Lake
Trillium Lake
Mount Hood
Cannon Beach and then all the little beach stops we made on the way south
Tillamook
Sisters Oregon/Deschutes National Forest
All the falls along the Hood River
ATX Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top