Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #51
chris1911
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
My son is playing 13U this year and I really couldnt give two sharts about baseball this spring I just cant get remotely excited about it. I'm burnt out from all the blowing and going and would 10000% rather us just go fishing. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this and am becoming "get off my lawn" guy. Either way, I'm tired of it.
me an my 14u feel exactly the same way! we are holding onto the fact that this is the last season of travel. not playing fall this year, hes playing football and basketball and then winter high school baseball starts...im ready for the break.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #52
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
We do fall ball but i agree with this.
Fall sunday leagues are a waste of time.. unless your goal is just destroying LL allstar teams..
We did a open tourney schedule and treated it like a training eval camp for the goals set for the spring team.
Tan cant play football due to having had open heart surgery at a week old..(yet he plays catcher).. and hes got a height issue inherited so basketball isnt his thing..lol..he likes it..and will give it a shot but he lives for baseball.
When he hurt his arm last year it killed him and he still made me take him to practices and games ..just to be around it and do what he could.
When he got cleared to play full out again, he cried for an hour he was so happy.
Bottom line.. you know your kid, his drive, and your circumstances.
Do what he wants, push him and encourage him and dont let naysayers push their opinions of how to raise your kid on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
agree. I have a few friends that have kids that only play baseball year round but the kid will straight up tell you that's all he wants to do. They don't like football or basketball and only want to play baseball, every day. How could you argue with that as a dad?
Couldn't have said it better. Pay attention and see the mood and the spirit. It will make the determination for you.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #53
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarcher View Post
What age and team are all your boys, if you're comfortable with sharing? My son, 8th grade, is playing 14U as he did this past Fall. He is with an organization that has teams in San Antonio (where we live) and teams in Abilene. The organization founder called me during the Spring of 13U season to ask if my son would join his team for the the first of their last three tournaments. He did, then they asked if my boy would play with them for the USSSA South State and the State tourneys that followed. Fast forward to last Fall and subsequently this Spring, the West Texas team has again chosen to have my son on their team as opposed to the local SA team. We enjoy it because the WT team is better organized and is a more competitive team. Also, my son gets to practice locally. He will be playing AAA/Major (AA last spring). I say all this, but here's the kicker. My son wants to play golf.

My son started playing golf with a buddy of his this past Summer that lives on a local course. At first, I bought him a very inexpensive set of clubs. As time progressed, he borrowed clubs from his friend as his hitting improved. For Christmas, I bought him a full set of Callaway clubs from the pre-owned Callaway website. I've taken him to Top Golf a few times and have been with him to the driving range on many occasions. He has a great, natural swing though his consistency in hitting straight is lacking as well as his putting skills. He is getting better, and I'm sure will continue to improve. His best friend, who he has been playing with, goes to a different middle school and will go to a different high school come this Fall, but is pursuing golf for this 8th grade year and beyond. They both grew up playing baseball together, my son since the age of three (10 years). The friend was a less than average baseball player and quit after his 12U Spring season as he did not make the cut for the select team my son played for, he and his dad had seen the writing on the wall.

My son has reported that he doesn't have the drive to play baseball as much as he does to play golf. When it's game day and he's in the field, he loves it, and he admits to that. Here is my dilemma: My son is an above average baseball player in both the fielding and batting categories, though he is not a pitcher and not a homerun hitter. He plays CF and 2nd and bats around .275 per season. He is fast, has a great eye for the ball in play on the ground or in the air, smart play maker, and has a decent arm. His draw back, and I think what gives him an inferiority complex, is his size. He has not had a growth spurt yet. He is the smallest player on any team he has played on. Even though he played quarter back for the middle school team in both 7th and 8th grade, it was on "B" team, and he gets frustrated at his lack of size. He will be 14 in March this year. He will also be going into 9th grade in the Fall. If he continues to play baseball at the level he is capable of, he still may not make the high school JV team (there is not a freshman team) unless he has a huge growth spurt in the next 6 to 9 months. Coaches, in my opinion, will see him as not mature in physical stature, and will pass him over. Now if he does sprout up, he would easily be able to make that team come Spring of 2021. The question is, what do I do about golf? he will be trying to play for his middle school team in a month or so against kids who have been playing since they were 3 or so. I feel he is a disadvantage trying to compete being so fresh, even though I think he will get there soon, to compete with other 8th graders. Just not sure how he could make a high school team, as I'm sure that is a lot more competitive.

We are trying to do both this Spring, splitting our time at the driving range and at the field/batting cage. I could go on and on, but this is long enough already. I didn't know I would go on this long. Any input is appreciated!

I forgot. I really want him to play baseball, almost to the point of pushing him into it more. Of course, I don't want to push too hard to alienate him. I just don't see golf as being advantageous for him in the near future.

Todd
Get him a lesson with a good golf instructor, and see what he says.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #54
jer_james
Pope & Young

Hey Dale - theres a great camp going on in Keller this weekend. It's at DBAT Keller. Lucroy is running it at DBAT. Jax had his best success while working with David. When he moved out to Alvarado is when we stopped being able to see him. They got a little of everything going on.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #55
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welding Teach View Post
My absolute biggest fear is he gets too involved and gets burned out before he could truly shine.
I'm no expert, but here's what we did.

Started "advanced" T ball at 4, we threw them 2 pitches then brought out the T. He was one of the 3 best players including some 5 year olds.

At 5 we did "advanced" T ball again, and the 8U team had lost 2 players right before the season started, so he played 8U (small town, rec league). One of the 2 best players on T ball, and top ~6 on 8U.

At 6 we started 8U in the local rec league, and joined a select 8U team that consisted of mostly kids from that league, for about 6 or 8 tournaments. He was one of the better rec players. With the select bunch he caught a lot, and played quite a bit of outfield, was great in the infield when he got to play there. He should have played 2nd most of the time, but coaches kid with **** attitude was there. It was a good experience overall, and they won a tournament and were 2nd in another. I should say that my son is really good about not getting discouraged. When he had to play catcher, or outfield, or set, he never let it bother him....even when he saw the kid with the **** attitude kicking balls around, where he should have been playing. I asked him and he just said "I don't care where I play, I just want to play".

Last season at 7 we just played 8U rec ball, then did an All Star tournament. He was DOMINANT at 1st base and at the plate. I think he went 36 for 37, the one time he got out was a rocket at the short stop's face which he caught. We won the league and did ok at the AS tourney before getting fed to Aledo. We put a 9U (kid pitch) team together and only got to play one tournament, where we got drove, but he did fine. Kid pitch is misery....

This year as an 8yo he tried out for a select team in the Canes org, and that is all we are going to do. He couldn't be more excited, and I'm ready to get on with it myself.

I ask him before everything I sign him up for if he wants to do it, and tell him I don't want him to do it if it's not fun, but we aren't quitting on a team mid season. He's never wanted to quit anything but soccer so far.

We do NOT play fall ball, that's deer hunting time. He does play basketball in the rec league, and we ended up on another more advanced team this year for a month, not sure what it's called.....it's just basketball.

He also loves golf, but we only get to play 2-3 times a summer. As he matures and he can seperate the two swings better, we will play more golf.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #56
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Hey Dale - theres a great camp going on in Keller this weekend. It's at DBAT Keller. Lucroy is running it at DBAT. Jax had his best success while working with David. When he moved out to Alvarado is when we stopped being able to see him. They got a little of everything going on.
I would check that out, but he has basketball this weekend.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #57
Wechebuck
Four Point

Quote:
Moco ballers.
What age group?
Wechebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #58
piercebronkite
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas

Yup Iím a coach for 3rd graders, itís not select but we have fun playing it. I canít wait to get on the field with them this spring and teach them, teamwork, failure, sportsmanship, and all the great character building aspects of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #59
DM3
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Woodsboro

My experience and takeaways from playing high level select ball for the past 10yrs. I have 2- boys (freshman in college and a junior in high school). The time spent with traveling the state of Texas including Oklahoma, Georgia ,Virginia watching the boys play has been a memory ill never forget. With that said if I had to do it again I would recommend to anyone to let the kids play every sport all the way thru high school, both my boys played multible sports thru middle school and high school. When your boy get to high school, college coaches will be interested in only 3 physical tools they have. Their 60 time, arm velocity and bat speed. If your son has size 6' can run a sub 7 second time in the 60, can throw a baseball 85 or better and has a bat velo over 90 they will get looks. If your son is a pitcher and can throw 90 or better they will get offers. The coaches could care less if they have played travel ball since they were 7. Spend your time and money with speed training a good weight lifting program and hope that god gave them good genetics.
DM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #60
rtarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Looking at great responses and hoping for more from my earlier post. Keep em coming!

Todd
rtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #61
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wechebuck View Post
What age group?
Been with them since he was 8 .. hes on 10u red.
He was just out there tonight catching bullpens for gaige's private lessons before teams rolled in for their practices.

Last edited by systemnt; 01-15-2020 at 06:44 PM.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #62
Wechebuck
Four Point

Quote:
Been with them since he was 8 .. hes on 10u red.
He was just out there tonight catching bullpens for gaige's private lessons before teams rolled in for their practices.
My son plays for the Lobos. Pretty sure we played you guys back in October. Scrappy team from what I remember.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #63
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
My son plays for the Lobos. Pretty sure we played you guys back in October. Scrappy team from what I remember.
Were yall at the cages last wednesday doing some hitting?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #64
Wechebuck
Four Point

We were not but some of our kids take lessons from David.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #65
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
We were not but some of our kids take lessons from David.
Yeh i met one of them while we were doing bullpens last wednesday.. and i remember ya'll ..that game went down to the wire if i remember.
Good luck to ya'll this spring!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #66
Wechebuck
Four Point

Quote:
Yeh i met one of them while we were doing bullpens last wednesday.. and i remember ya'll ..that game went down to the wire if i remember.
Good luck to ya'll this spring!
Yes it did. Good luck to you guys as well!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #67
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Gettin all the tools ready...Iím bored.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #68
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Gettin all the tools ready...Iím bored.

Is Snoop going to rock the Nokona or the A2000 Special Edition?
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #69
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I still donít have the A2000 broke in all the way, but Iím gonna make him use it in practice some. I donít want to break it all the way in with my hand in it.

He loves them both like his dogs.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #70
systemnt
Pope & Young

How much for the snickers
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #71
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Quote:
Looking at great responses and hoping for more from my earlier post. Keep em coming!

Todd
It sounds like you are on the right path by encouraging him to stick with baseball (for now) but also letting him scratch the golfing itch.

At some point before he leaves the house, however, you would be wise to let him make his own choices and be his own man without any input or manipulation.

My son walked away from football prior to his Junior year in spite of being the 14th ranked at his position in the state for his class. Lots of folks were disappointed (his parents included) but he learned to make his own decision in the face of opposition all around. Fact is there was no right or wrong answer...and the decision won't matter in 20 years...but I pray he does the same thing when it counts down the road, and others are pushing him to do something he knows is wrong in his heart.

In the end - if you think he is making a decision he'll regret based on fear then it may be right to gently intervene...but if he's just trying to be his own man you have to get behind that!
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 AM   #72
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
What age and team are all your boys, if you're comfortable with sharing? My son, 8th grade, is playing 14U as he did this past Fall. He is with an organization that has teams in San Antonio (where we live) and teams in Abilene. The organization founder called me during the Spring of 13U season to ask if my son would join his team for the the first of their last three tournaments. He did, then they asked if my boy would play with them for the USSSA South State and the State tourneys that followed. Fast forward to last Fall and subsequently this Spring, the West Texas team has again chosen to have my son on their team as opposed to the local SA team. We enjoy it because the WT team is better organized and is a more competitive team. Also, my son gets to practice locally. He will be playing AAA/Major (AA last spring). I say all this, but here's the kicker. My son wants to play golf.

My son started playing golf with a buddy of his this past Summer that lives on a local course. At first, I bought him a very inexpensive set of clubs. As time progressed, he borrowed clubs from his friend as his hitting improved. For Christmas, I bought him a full set of Callaway clubs from the pre-owned Callaway website. I've taken him to Top Golf a few times and have been with him to the driving range on many occasions. He has a great, natural swing though his consistency in hitting straight is lacking as well as his putting skills. He is getting better, and I'm sure will continue to improve. His best friend, who he has been playing with, goes to a different middle school and will go to a different high school come this Fall, but is pursuing golf for this 8th grade year and beyond. They both grew up playing baseball together, my son since the age of three (10 years). The friend was a less than average baseball player and quit after his 12U Spring season as he did not make the cut for the select team my son played for, he and his dad had seen the writing on the wall.

My son has reported that he doesn't have the drive to play baseball as much as he does to play golf. When it's game day and he's in the field, he loves it, and he admits to that. Here is my dilemma: My son is an above average baseball player in both the fielding and batting categories, though he is not a pitcher and not a homerun hitter. He plays CF and 2nd and bats around .275 per season. He is fast, has a great eye for the ball in play on the ground or in the air, smart play maker, and has a decent arm. His draw back, and I think what gives him an inferiority complex, is his size. He has not had a growth spurt yet. He is the smallest player on any team he has played on. Even though he played quarter back for the middle school team in both 7th and 8th grade, it was on "B" team, and he gets frustrated at his lack of size. He will be 14 in March this year. He will also be going into 9th grade in the Fall. If he continues to play baseball at the level he is capable of, he still may not make the high school JV team (there is not a freshman team) unless he has a huge growth spurt in the next 6 to 9 months. Coaches, in my opinion, will see him as not mature in physical stature, and will pass him over. Now if he does sprout up, he would easily be able to make that team come Spring of 2021. The question is, what do I do about golf? he will be trying to play for his middle school team in a month or so against kids who have been playing since they were 3 or so. I feel he is a disadvantage trying to compete being so fresh, even though I think he will get there soon, to compete with other 8th graders. Just not sure how he could make a high school team, as I'm sure that is a lot more competitive.

We are trying to do both this Spring, splitting our time at the driving range and at the field/batting cage. I could go on and on, but this is long enough already. I didn't know I would go on this long. Any input is appreciated!

I forgot. I really want him to play baseball, almost to the point of pushing him into it more. Of course, I don't want to push too hard to alienate him. I just don't see golf as being advantageous for him in the near future.

Todd
My son is 11, and makes 12u date by 15days but plays up, he will be playing on a 13u majors team this spring. We play spring baseball, fall football, and winter basketball. Iíve always said one of the most unfair things in this world is jr high sports. There are boys on the same field trying to compete with young men. It is really evident in these large Katy schools. Good thing is it always levels out in high school. As for golf, if one of my kids had the talent to play any sport at a professional level I would prefer to see his name on the back of his caddy. Sounds like youíre doing your best to balance time and allow him to pursue what he wants. What he wants could change next year. My wife and I are as guilty as anyone when it comes to pushing to hard and setting an extremely high bar. I try to to remind myself that it has to be fun for him too, it canít always be work. Iíve quit ďcoaching/holleringĒ at him during games. When weíre walking up I just tell him the same 2 things, suck less and go have fun.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #73
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

That’s funny Stuck. For probably 5 years the only thing I say to my kid before games is “Don’t Suck”. After games it is just “That sucked or You Didn’t Suck that up”. It’s now almost a joke.
Best advice I can give you guys is Don’t talk about the game or their outing after the game - Go feed the growing kid and if they talk just listen.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #74
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Thatís funny Stuck. For probably 5 years the only thing I say to my kid before games is ďDonít SuckĒ. After games it is just ďThat sucked or You Didnít Suck that upĒ. Itís now almost a joke.
Best advice I can give you guys is Donít talk about the game or their outing after the game - Go feed the growing kid and if they talk just listen.
Toughest thing to do for sure!

One good idea I heard someone do was send thier kid a text on Monday just kind of saying, "...hey, here are a few things I saw..." And that's it, be constructive with it and don't bring it up again. If the kid wants to talk about any of it after that let him bring it up.

As dumb as they think we (dad's) are, sometimes there are obvious mistakes that can be fixed with a quick phrase, it's super tough to sit back and just watch, but I'm getting better.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #75
kacoach
Spike

That sitting back and just watching is going to be tough for me, but I'm trying. I played at the collegiate level and have been a high school baseball coach for 15 years. My 7u had his first practice last night playing select and it was definitely different. Saw some things that other coaches did that I don't necessarily agree with, but they are the coach.
kacoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #76
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Thatís funny Stuck. For probably 5 years the only thing I say to my kid before games is ďDonít SuckĒ. After games it is just ďThat sucked or You Didnít Suck that upĒ. Itís now almost a joke.
Best advice I can give you guys is Donít talk about the game or their outing after the game - Go feed the growing kid and if they talk just listen.
We usually have a quick talk in the car. I ask the same 2 questions, what did you do good today? What did you do wrong? Mainly just to see what his answer is. Iíll also ask him what he was thinking at certain pivotal points or odd plays. This question has really made it easier for me to just watch and enjoy the game. He tells me what he did or why he did not do something. It shows me there is a thought process and he is understanding and that no matter how much I think he needs me to tell him what to do at certain times, he doesnít.

Quick funny story from the mind of an 11yr old. Last year he was behind the plate, bases loaded, 2 outs. The coach gets his attention and reminds him ďdrop strike 3, just step on the plateĒ. Sure enough strike 3 down the middle, sticks it, opens glove, picks up the ball and steps on the plate.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #77
jshouse
Pope & Young

Awesome. last weekend my 4th graders basketball team was up big so with a few mins left the coach told logan, "once you get across halfcourt just slow down and hold the ball." so, that's what he did, he stops dribbling and holds the ball for a 5 count and a turnover. the coach apologized and laughed it off.

Last edited by jshouse; 01-17-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #78
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
We usually have a quick talk in the car. I ask the same 2 questions, what did you do good today? What did you do wrong? Mainly just to see what his answer is. Iíll also ask him what he was thinking at certain pivotal points or odd plays. This question has really made it easier for me to just watch and enjoy the game. He tells me what he did or why he did not do something. It shows me there is a thought process and he is understanding and that no matter how much I think he needs me to tell him what to do at certain times, he doesnít.

Quick funny story from the mind of an 11yr old. Last year he was behind the plate, bases loaded, 2 outs. The coach gets his attention and reminds him ďdrop strike 3, just step on the plateĒ. Sure enough strike 3 down the middle, sticks it, opens glove, picks up the ball and steps on the plate.
Lol.. he follows orders dad!!
Old 01-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #79
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I read through a lot of this stuff from you guys with older kids and think to myself...

"Yep, agree...that's how I do it"
"Oh that's a good idea...I'll have to remember that"
"Man that's a solid plan...these dudes are sharp as a tack"
"Uh oh........"
"Oh man, I really been screwin that up"
"I've ruined him forever..."
"Don't answer the door! It's probably CPS!"

Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #80
jshouse
Pope & Young

Haha
Old 01-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #81
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I read through a lot of this stuff from you guys with older kids and think to myself...

"Uh oh........"

Correct
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #82
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

"Uh oh........"

Exactly!
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #83
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Granddad “won” Luke a Custom Glove from Nokona at a silent auction.

We went up after Christmas and picked it out with Granddad! Pretty cool experience! Glove should be here in a few weeks.

Last edited by ShockValue; 01-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #84
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

The Storey family is awesome. Iím blessed to have Nocona Athletic on my resume.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #85
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Granddad ďwonĒ Luke a Custom Glove from Nokona at a silent auction.

We went up after Christmas and picked it out with Granddad! Pretty cool experience! Glove should be here in a few weeks.

Bradyís grandad bought him his Nocona 3 years ago, it has been a fantastic piece of gear. Their pneumatic break in machine is a huge head start, and we took it back last year and they tightened some laces and replaced some others. I like their glove conditioner as well.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #86
nativeaustin
Six Point

Hunt In: Seguin

Driving by the little league fields last year and looking how small the 5 and 6 year old kids are and how mad I use to get at my son for playing in the dirt and not paying attention at that age. Looking back I should have enjoyed the moment more because it goes by so fast. He is 14U now and I never say anything negative to him during games. I still give him chin music in our batting cage when I am pitching to him when he smarts off. Maybe 10 years from now I'll feel bad about that as well.
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #87
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Had our first practice Tuesday and the boys looked pretty good for being of 2 months. Still need to work the rust off, but things look pretty good. Started the long toss and tee work couple more weeks start infield and outfield work.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #88
systemnt
Pope & Young

Same.. was actually impressed..boys came focused ..and determined.
New kids gelled pretty quick to a new routine and core went above and beyond to make them feel part of the team..
Excited for them and glad to be back at the field.

Tan catching one of the new 10U kids.

Last edited by systemnt; 01-17-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #89
systemnt
Pope & Young

Watching a few of our boys at a select30 tourney in california..
Technology is a cool thing
Old 01-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #90
systemnt
Pope & Young

Id be all for banning aluminum bats in indoor batting cages..
Gonna have to start wearing ear protection to watch kids lessons.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #91
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Went to a local baseball complex and watched some younger kids. Coach pitch age- Fun times. I miss those days allready. Now he drives himself, eat Whataburger on way home. Y’all enjoy and cherish
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #92
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Glen may be coaching 8 year olds by spring.

Mine went to his 3rd short lesson with his new coach today. If he doesnít get to put on cleats, hit on a field, and throw some dudes out, pretty soon...he is liable to fire me! Heís enjoying basketball, already won one ship (mad they donít give out rings), and has another to win in a couple weeks...but he is ready to baseball in the worst kind of way!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #93
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

For you local guys in the Spring,Tomball and surrounding areas Nations is have a scrimmage weekend on February 1-2 for a umpires clinic and they are playing 2 games on Saturday and 1 on Sunday so everyone is done by 12:30 before the super bowl. The price is $200 per team good way to work the boys out before spring hits. Go on Nations and sign up limited sports available. Just passing on some info.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #94
jshouse
Pope & Young

My youngest did some hitting with his team Sunday and my oldest has his first pitching lesson tomorrow... I guess baseball season is a'comin.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #95
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

My son is ready as well. We are on a new 13U team this year. We played 4-5 fall tournaments already and we really love the team and the Coach. Been practicing two days a week since September. Once a week on the field and once in the cages. Hoping for a great season.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #96
jshouse
Pope & Young

We are going over 12u world series options right now, we wanted to do Gulf Shores but that means playing at least 5 USSSA tourneys and we don't want to do that.

Seems like the majority of parents want to do a beach trip, anyone have suggestions? I've checked Triple Crown, and NCS and the only one I could find was in Myrtle Beach in mid-July and we want to be done playing by July... Any other options I'm missing for a June World Series at the beach?

I mentioned Cooperstown, Pigeon Forge, Park Cities and Omaha and didn't have much interest...

Edit: there were some Triple Crown tourneys in Cali but I'm not sure that's an option for cost reasons, seems like most wanted an East coast trip.

Last edited by jshouse; 01-24-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #97
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
We are going over 12u world series options right now, we wanted to do Gulf Shores but that means playing at least 5 USSSA tourneys and we don't want to do that.

Seems like the majority of parents want to do a beach trip, anyone have suggestions? I've checked Triple Crown, and NCS and the only one I could find was in Myrtle Beach in mid-July and we want to be done playing by July... Any other options I'm missing for a June Works Series at the beach?

I mentioned Cooperstown, Pigeon Forge, Park Cities and Omaha and didn't have much interest...

Edit: there were some Triple Crown tourneys in Cali but I'm not sure that's an option for cost reasons, seems like most wanted an East coast trip.
We did Pigeon Forge last year and it is amazing! Great event, venue, and we spent every hour away from baseball in the Smoky Mountains.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #98
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
We did Pigeon Forge last year and it is amazing! Great event, venue, and we spent every hour away from baseball in the Smoky Mountains.
All I've heard is great things about it. We have a parent meeting Feb 4, I'm gonna push for it.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #99
jshouse
Pope & Young

Welp, Pigeon Forge is already sold out...
Old 01-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #100
systemnt
Pope & Young

That sucks.. i also have read/heard nothing but good things about pigeon forge