Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who plants soybeans in the spring/summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who plants soybeans in the spring/summer?

Since we are living on the land we hunt, I’m gonna get serious again about planting food plots. Who plants soybeans for summer food? When do you plant? What brand of seed? How much to plant per acre? We have about 33 acres of huntable land, and about 3 acres of tillable we can plant on.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

The problem with 3 acres if there are many deer at all they are gonna come through and eat the sprouts and kill it all.

They love those tender little plants when they are in the 2 leaf stage.

Gonna need to keep the deer out until they can mature some and handle the browsing pressure

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      The problem with 3 acres if there are many deer at all they are gonna come through and eat the sprouts and kill it all.

They love those tender little plants when they are in the 2 leaf stage.

Gonna need to keep the deer out until they can mature some and handle the browsing pressure

What do you suggest? Electric fence? Plant more acreage?

We see roughly 2 doe families that live on/near our place at this point and that’s it. The last three or four years we hardly see deer went hunting. We haven’t planted a food plot in the fall or kept corn in feeders in probably five years or more. This is due to building the house and not having time to maintain. I’m really wanting to take this more serious than I was before now that we are living out here now. Any suggestions on hill are appreciated

Comment

get on face book and check out double tine innovations the guy who owns it is great and very knowledgeable as to what and when to plant and their seed is top notch everything i have bought and planted from them has been great

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
          Since we are living on the land we hunt, I’m gonna get serious again about planting food plots. Who plants soybeans for summer food? When do you plant? What brand of seed? How much to plant per acre? We have about 33 acres of huntable land, and about 3 acres of tillable we can plant on.

I plant Soybeans. Plant in late April, early May. Ground temp needs to be above 65degrees. If you have 3 acres in 33 to plant that's perfect, 10%. Just get regular production soybeans, don't waste your money on Forage Soybeans. The deer will continue to eat the top leaves of the plant after it gets about 12"-14"

You may want to try Iron Clay Peas, some people swear by them, I do not care for them. They get tall and beautiful and nothing has touched them.

Comment

Electric fence that keep deer out is pretty involved.

You may not have a problem. I always planted areas with a really high deer density and it makes it tough.

Comment

This field was planted about June 10th last year. We would have planted earlier, but as you can see the field was a little wet.[emoji846] Beans will definitely bring the deer in.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                I plant Soybeans. Plant in late April, early May. Ground temp needs to be above 65degrees. If you have 3 acres in 33 to plant that's perfect, 10%. Just get regular production soybeans, don't waste your money on Forage Soybeans. The deer will continue to eat the top leaves of the plant after it gets about 12"-14"

You may want to try Iron Clay Peas, some people swear by them, I do not care for them. They get tall and beautiful and nothing has touched them.

Do you plant right before a rain? Do you broadcast or drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  This field was planted about June 10th last year. We would have planted earlier, but as you can see the field was a little wet.[emoji846] Beans will definitely bring the deer in.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Looking good Mike!!

Comment

I planted a small plot with eagle brand soybeans. I put milorganite on them, once then 20 days later to let them get established. They're browse tolerant, meaning deer can eat on them and they keep on growing. Lasted until the first freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                      I planted a small plot with eagle brand soybeans. I put milorganite on them, once then 20 days later to let them get established. They're browse tolerant, meaning deer can eat on them and they keep on growing. Lasted until the first freeze.
                      I obviously did something wrong with mine. They looked like any other soybean.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                        Electric fence that keep deer out is pretty involved.

You may not have a problem. I always planted areas with a really high deer density and it makes it tough.
                        Both these guys are right, it depends on your deer density. I’ve planted beans as well as IC peas and for the money I like the peas better. The first year I planted beans I bought regular feed store beans and got an infestation of pigweed like you never saw before. I also got some other kind of weed from Kansas that I had hell getting rid of. The next year I planted Eagle beans, (Round Up ready bean, which means that you can spray them with Round Up when they are about 8” tall and kill all the weeds), and they lasted until the leaves turned yellow. The deer ate the hell out of them, but I got no actual bean pods. Planted them the second year with the same results. The third year I planted Real World beans and had the same forage but actual bean pods which lasted into the winter.

After that I started planting IC peas and I couldn’t see any difference in growth or browsing. They’re as good for protein as soy beans and grow in the same conditions. They need pretty neutral soil to grow well as do soybeans. They are much cheaper to buy than beans are, at least the beans I bought. I wouldn’t use feed store beans again at all because of the experience that I had with them.

If it were me, and I wanted to try the beans, I’d be sure and check the seed bag tag to see what the weed seed content is before I bought them. I’ve never got any noxious weed seed from IC peas. It may take a little while for the deer to get used to them but they will definitely eat them after they try them.

If you don’t have hogs you can broadcast wheat or rye grain into the beans/peas when the leaves start to yellow and mow the growth then you’ll have some wheat plots. I never had anything left from IC peas except vines.

Comment

Do you guys just disc, broadcast and then drag? Or how do you plant ?

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                            Do you guys just disc, broadcast and then drag? Or how do you plant ?
                            Yes.

The thing about beans they just need soil contact, if you can cover them that is better. If you are just gonna broadcast them, do it just before a good rain.

Lot of good info here, be flexible, don't settle on one thing or way of doing it. Enjoy
                            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-02-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I'm taking notes here.. Ive been wondering the same.. they ate all of our sprouts last go 'round. learning process I guess..

Comment

Working...
                              X