Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default Production Precision Rifle

https://vimeo.com/385339446?fbclid=I...toteIYeUimHcAU

Folks, I’m not sure you could top this deal and stay in production class with a comp rifle. Offered in 6 Creed or 6GT only

Last edited by JakeGraves; 01-16-2020 at 07:22 PM.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
https://vimeo.com/385339446?fbclid=I...toteIYeUimHcAU

Folks, Iím not sure you could top this deal and stay in production class with a company rifle. Offered in 6 Creed or 6GT only
Man what a deal!!!
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
RR 314
Ten Point

Man, that is solid! Little to no wait either!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I thought $1999 was production class limits?
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
No sir, changed to $2500 this year.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

If it wasnít wearing such a long/heavy barrel Iíd buy one. I can see where the PRS guys would be all over this.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
No sir, changed to $2500 this year.
That GAP is a heck of a rifle for the money either way! Since Iíve gotten into this game prices have come down so much for some great rifles.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Hmmm...how are they able to sell that rifle so cheap when they'd normally sell them for 4000+? Sorry, I just had to. Hey, at least they aren't McWhorter or Jarrett...I will say that it looks like a dang nice ride for the money.

Last edited by kck; 01-17-2020 at 09:56 AM.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I kinda regret spending so much on my custom rifle now...
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

I wish he would have mentioned the weight of the rifle.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

That's a heck of a deal on a really nice rifle. It also illustrates the power of a group buy to gain leverage over pricing. You get what you get, but you get it for a a lot less $$$.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Thoughts on the 6 creed and 6gt?
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
Iím a huge fan of 6 Creed. Excellent factory ammo selection that shoots great. I dropped a doe with it in her tracks a few weeks back at 320.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
Iím a huge fan of 6 Creed. Excellent factory ammo selection that shoots great. I dropped a doe with it in her tracks a few weeks back at 320.
Good to here. I think My biggest concern would be barrel life.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #15
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Good to here. I think My biggest concern would be barrel life.
If you shoot enough to burn a barrel quickly then barrel life is the cheap part. Iím about 900 rds down on my 6 CM, and expect 1600-1800.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
If you shoot enough to burn a barrel quickly then barrel life is the cheap part. Iím about 900 rds down on my 6 CM, and expect 1600-1800.
You are spot on. I dont mind burning them out just have read some really low numbers. Yours don't sound bad at all. Maybe people really hot rodding it? This kinda rifle would see lots of range time. This exact rifle in the video would fill a huge void in the safe and something ive been wanting. Are you hand loading? Are you having to re tune your load very often due to erosion or has it stayed pretty consistent? Obviously every rifle can be different... Ive been doing my best to hold off on this year's TBH APR build because of my dogs cancer surgery taking ALOT of $... Still might cave on that.. But being I had a couple built last year that are similar its been a little hard to justify. This build is the route I was hoping the APR would kinda go. I really could use a designated range/PRS rifle.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #17
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Quote:
Have you heard of badrock rifles? Bought one of those units in 6.5prc while back. Get that unit right at that price and shoot lights out. Brother in law has taken that rifle to 1200 several times and he loves it. It’s a chassis tho.

Last edited by Txarrowhunter; 01-19-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #18
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Quote:
You are spot on. I dont mind burning them out just have read some really low numbers. Yours don't sound bad at all. Maybe people really hot rodding it? This kinda rifle would see lots of range time. This exact rifle in the video would fill a huge void in the safe and something ive been wanting. Are you hand loading? Are you having to re tune your load very often due to erosion or has it stayed pretty consistent? Obviously every rifle can be different... Ive been doing my best to hold off on this year's TBH APR build because of my dogs cancer surgery taking ALOT of $... Still might cave on that.. But being I had a couple built last year that are similar its been a little hard to justify. This build is the route I was hoping the APR would kinda go. I really could use a designated range/PRS rifle.
I was kind of hoping it would go that direction, too. I had something VERY similar to this build in mind as one of the options. Maybe next time.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young

6 gay tiger!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #20
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have several GAP rifles. Big fan! It helps that they are so close to my home.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #21
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
I have several GAP rifles. Big fan! It helps that they are so close to my home.

Ha Iím a big fan too but if I lived that close to them Iíd be poor and divorced

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
Conrad
Spike

Hunt In: Four corners regions. TX Hill Country.

Very good rifle. About the only benefit of production class was the introduction of some really solid rifles for the money.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #23
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Would you guys lug bed the mini chassis or bolt it up and go. I know bedding kinda defeats the purpose but ive read alot of different things.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Would you guys lug bed the mini chassis or bolt it up and go. I know bedding kinda defeats the purpose but ive read alot of different things.

George and his guys will tell you that you donít need it but they only charge 35$ (last I checked) to bed just the recoil lug.

Iíve shot rifles both with a mini chassis (not bedded) and mini chassis (bedded recoil lug only)

No real difference in accuracy that I saw. So completely personal preference. If it gives you warm and tinglies go right ahead.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 01-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
George and his guys will tell you that you donít need it but they only charge 35$ (last I checked) to bed just the recoil lug.

Iíve shot rifles both with a mini chassis (not bedded) and mini chassis (bedded recoil lug only)

No real difference in accuracy that I saw. So completely personal preference. If it gives you warm and tinglies go right ahead.

Sierracharlie outÖ
As of today it is $135 to have the lug bedded. Trying to decide if it is something worth doing. Try to figure out all the pros/cons and see what side out weighs the other. I actually put a deposit down on one of these rifles today. I held off on this year's APR deal cause its bad timing but this rifle is almost exactly what I was wanting this year. I didn't want to possibly miss out as its a limited deal and seams to be popular on the internet. If I decide it's not best move I have a buddy that will take it. Just want to make the right decisions no matter who ends up with it.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #26
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
As of today it is $135 to have the lug bedded. Trying to decide if it is something worth doing. Try to figure out all the pros/cons and see what side out weighs the other. I actually put a deposit down on one of these rifles today. I held off on this year's APR deal cause its bad timing but this rifle is almost exactly what I was wanting this year. I didn't want to possibly miss out as its a limited deal and seams to be popular on the internet. If I decide it's not best move I have a buddy that will take it. Just want to make the right decisions no matter who ends up with it.

Yeah when I had mine done it was many years ago now haha. I donít think you NEED it but with that being said I built a 243 on a manners mini chassis. I had them bed it and the gun was definitely a hammer! It gave me warm and tinglies knowing the lug wouldnít have a chance to move even it if wanted to.

YMMV but either way you wonít have a problem moving. If you get a 6 creed and donít want it Iíd be interested in buying it haha!

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 01-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #27
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
Yeah when I had mine done it was many years ago now haha. I donít think you NEED it but with that being said I built a 243 on a manners mini chassis. I had them bed it and the gun was definitely a hammer! It gave me warm and tinglies knowing the lug wouldnít have a chance to move even it if wanted to.

YMMV but either way you wonít have a problem moving. If you get a 6 creed and donít want it Iíd be interested in buying it haha!

Sierracharlie outÖ
As of now I told them to bed it. Just trying to figure out if it was worth it over the few cons. Ex. Not being able to switch actions easily, etc. Its hard to know. Ive been reading like crazy. I way over think and stress things. I drive myself insane.

I did go 6 creed.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
As of now I told them to bed it. Just trying to figure out if it was worth it over the few cons. Ex. Not being able to switch actions easily, etc. Its hard to know. Ive been reading like crazy. I way over think and stress things. I drive myself insane.

I did go 6 creed.

I think you will be fine and yes are way overthinking haha!! But I think most people do that at some point. If you ever want to sell it, sell it as a package (barreled action and stock) it will retain more resale value that way IMO.

I have a hunch once you put hands on it and a few rounds down range you wonít be wanting to get rid of it any time soon! Nice snag!

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
I think you will be fine and yes are way overthinking haha!! But I think most people do that at some point. If you ever want to sell it, sell it as a package (barreled action and stock) it will retain more resale value that way IMO.

I have a hunch once you put hands on it and a few rounds down range you won’t be wanting to get rid of it any time soon! Nice snag!

Sierracharlie out…
I will probably leave it getting bedded for now. Will continue to stress all my choices though haha it's really a problem...

I'm sure I will love it. It would really fill a huge void in my safe and see alot of use. I'm not 100% sold on the barrel but figured shoot it out and go from there. This kinda build is not something I have a ton of knowledge about but seemed like a fair deal by a reputable builder. I felt like I shouldnt pass it up.

Last edited by OSU Fisher; 01-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #30
Jakedasnke
Nubbin' Buck

Does anybody have an idea on weight? He stated standard fill and everything is moving heavy but then said it will be on the lighter side. My father in law tried calling earlier in the week but they must be out of the office due to shot show
Jakedasnke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #31
OSU Fisher
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedasnke View Post
Does anybody have an idea on weight? He stated standard fill and everything is moving heavy but then said it will be on the lighter side. My father in law tried calling earlier in the week but they must be out of the office due to shot show
They are there just not the whole crew and super busy because of this deal. George said he figures 13-14 like it sits in the video and 17-18 with scope bipod etc.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #32
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:

That is their biggest complaint. It doesnít matter what time of year it is, they are very hard to get a hold of. Unless they have added people to answer phones and such. Just keep calling you will get someone eventually.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
Jakedasnke
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
They are there just not the whole crew and super busy because of this deal. George said he figures 13-14 like it sits in the video and 17-18 with scope bipod etc.
Thank you. Seems like a lot of rifle for the price tag. Hope itís a success and they continue it in the future. Sure seems like a good time to be a consumer in the gun market.
Jakedasnke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #34
TxLonghorn
Spike

Quote:
Creed has some more capacity but gt is more efficient of a case

So gt gets you close to creed but more barrel life.
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #35
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Quote:
Thank you. Seems like a lot of rifle for the price tag. Hope itís a success and they continue it in the future. Sure seems like a good time to be a consumer in the gun market.
Ken Lin is who you need to talk to. You will be fine without bedding. Rifle complete with scope should be in the 18 LB range. Keep in mind, heavy is beneficial in PRS.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #36
OSU Fisher
Four Point

You guys who may be into this kinda rifle/PRS would you have a full length ARCA rail installed or just a pic rail. I run atlas bipods and pic rails on all my rifles but could get that RRS or 419 adapter for my bipods that do both arca and picatinny.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #37
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
Have you heard of badrock rifles? Bought one of those units in 6.5prc while back. Get that unit right at that price and shoot lights out. Brother in law has taken that rifle to 1200 several times and he loves it. Itís a chassis tho.
Yes sir i have. Sorry im just seeing this. There are a lot of great shooting rifles in the $2k price range these days. Prices have really come down lately.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #38
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
You guys who may be into this kinda rifle/PRS would you have a full length ARCA rail installed or just a pic rail. I run atlas bipods and pic rails on all my rifles but could get that RRS or 419 adapter for my bipods that do both arca and picatinny.
ARCA without a doubt
Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Quote:
ARCA without a doubt
Agreed. Full length Arca rail from Area 419 with the ball detents is about perfect.