Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default Production Precision Rifle

https://vimeo.com/385339446?fbclid=I...toteIYeUimHcAU

Folks, I’m not sure you could top this deal and stay in production class with a comp rifle. Offered in 6 Creed or 6GT only

Last edited by JakeGraves; 01-16-2020 at 07:22 PM.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
6.5CM
Ten Point
 
6.5CM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
https://vimeo.com/385339446?fbclid=I...toteIYeUimHcAU

Folks, Iím not sure you could top this deal and stay in production class with a company rifle. Offered in 6 Creed or 6GT only
Man what a deal!!!
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
RR 314
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Man, that is solid! Little to no wait either!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

I thought $1999 was production class limits?
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I thought $1999 was production class limits?
No sir, changed to $2500 this year.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default Production Precision Rifle

If it wasnít wearing such a long/heavy barrel Iíd buy one. I can see where the PRS guys would be all over this.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
No sir, changed to $2500 this year.
That GAP is a heck of a rifle for the money either way! Since Iíve gotten into this game prices have come down so much for some great rifles.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
kck
Ten Point
 
kck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County
Default

Hmmm...how are they able to sell that rifle so cheap when they'd normally sell them for 4000+? Sorry, I just had to. Hey, at least they aren't McWhorter or Jarrett...I will say that it looks like a dang nice ride for the money.

Last edited by kck; 01-17-2020 at 09:56 AM.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
6.5CM
Ten Point
 
6.5CM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

I kinda regret spending so much on my custom rifle now...
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
JTCowpoke
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wichita Falls
Default

I wish he would have mentioned the weight of the rifle.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

That's a heck of a deal on a really nice rifle. It also illustrates the power of a group buy to gain leverage over pricing. You get what you get, but you get it for a a lot less $$$.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Thoughts on the 6 creed and 6gt?
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
Thoughts on the 6 creed and 6gt?
Iím a huge fan of 6 Creed. Excellent factory ammo selection that shoots great. I dropped a doe with it in her tracks a few weeks back at 320.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Iím a huge fan of 6 Creed. Excellent factory ammo selection that shoots great. I dropped a doe with it in her tracks a few weeks back at 320.
Good to here. I think My biggest concern would be barrel life.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #15
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
Good to here. I think My biggest concern would be barrel life.
If you shoot enough to burn a barrel quickly then barrel life is the cheap part. Iím about 900 rds down on my 6 CM, and expect 1600-1800.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
If you shoot enough to burn a barrel quickly then barrel life is the cheap part. Iím about 900 rds down on my 6 CM, and expect 1600-1800.
You are spot on. I dont mind burning them out just have read some really low numbers. Yours don't sound bad at all. Maybe people really hot rodding it? This kinda rifle would see lots of range time. This exact rifle in the video would fill a huge void in the safe and something ive been wanting. Are you hand loading? Are you having to re tune your load very often due to erosion or has it stayed pretty consistent? Obviously every rifle can be different... Ive been doing my best to hold off on this year's TBH APR build because of my dogs cancer surgery taking ALOT of $... Still might cave on that.. But being I had a couple built last year that are similar its been a little hard to justify. This build is the route I was hoping the APR would kinda go. I really could use a designated range/PRS rifle.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #17
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point
 
Txarrowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 817
Hunt In: Parker county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I thought $1999 was production class limits?
Have you heard of badrock rifles? Bought one of those units in 6.5prc while back. Get that unit right at that price and shoot lights out. Brother in law has taken that rifle to 1200 several times and he loves it. It’s a chassis tho.

Last edited by Txarrowhunter; 01-19-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #18
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
You are spot on. I dont mind burning them out just have read some really low numbers. Yours don't sound bad at all. Maybe people really hot rodding it? This kinda rifle would see lots of range time. This exact rifle in the video would fill a huge void in the safe and something ive been wanting. Are you hand loading? Are you having to re tune your load very often due to erosion or has it stayed pretty consistent? Obviously every rifle can be different... Ive been doing my best to hold off on this year's TBH APR build because of my dogs cancer surgery taking ALOT of $... Still might cave on that.. But being I had a couple built last year that are similar its been a little hard to justify. This build is the route I was hoping the APR would kinda go. I really could use a designated range/PRS rifle.
I was kind of hoping it would go that direction, too. I had something VERY similar to this build in mind as one of the options. Maybe next time.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

6 gay tiger!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #20
Raypo
Pope & Young
 
Raypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Azle, TX
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I have several GAP rifles. Big fan! It helps that they are so close to my home.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #21
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default Production Precision Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
I have several GAP rifles. Big fan! It helps that they are so close to my home.

Ha Iím a big fan too but if I lived that close to them Iíd be poor and divorced


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
Conrad
Spike
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Four corners regions. TX Hill Country.
Default

Very good rifle. About the only benefit of production class was the introduction of some really solid rifles for the money.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #23
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Would you guys lug bed the mini chassis or bolt it up and go. I know bedding kinda defeats the purpose but ive read alot of different things.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
Would you guys lug bed the mini chassis or bolt it up and go. I know bedding kinda defeats the purpose but ive read alot of different things.

George and his guys will tell you that you donít need it but they only charge 35$ (last I checked) to bed just the recoil lug.

Iíve shot rifles both with a mini chassis (not bedded) and mini chassis (bedded recoil lug only)

No real difference in accuracy that I saw. So completely personal preference. If it gives you warm and tinglies go right ahead.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
George and his guys will tell you that you donít need it but they only charge 35$ (last I checked) to bed just the recoil lug.

Iíve shot rifles both with a mini chassis (not bedded) and mini chassis (bedded recoil lug only)

No real difference in accuracy that I saw. So completely personal preference. If it gives you warm and tinglies go right ahead.


Sierracharlie outÖ
As of today it is $135 to have the lug bedded. Trying to decide if it is something worth doing. Try to figure out all the pros/cons and see what side out weighs the other. I actually put a deposit down on one of these rifles today. I held off on this year's APR deal cause its bad timing but this rifle is almost exactly what I was wanting this year. I didn't want to possibly miss out as its a limited deal and seams to be popular on the internet. If I decide it's not best move I have a buddy that will take it. Just want to make the right decisions no matter who ends up with it.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #26
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
As of today it is $135 to have the lug bedded. Trying to decide if it is something worth doing. Try to figure out all the pros/cons and see what side out weighs the other. I actually put a deposit down on one of these rifles today. I held off on this year's APR deal cause its bad timing but this rifle is almost exactly what I was wanting this year. I didn't want to possibly miss out as its a limited deal and seams to be popular on the internet. If I decide it's not best move I have a buddy that will take it. Just want to make the right decisions no matter who ends up with it.

Yeah when I had mine done it was many years ago now haha. I donít think you NEED it but with that being said I built a 243 on a manners mini chassis. I had them bed it and the gun was definitely a hammer! It gave me warm and tinglies knowing the lug wouldnít have a chance to move even it if wanted to.

YMMV but either way you wonít have a problem moving. If you get a 6 creed and donít want it Iíd be interested in buying it haha!


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #27
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Yeah when I had mine done it was many years ago now haha. I donít think you NEED it but with that being said I built a 243 on a manners mini chassis. I had them bed it and the gun was definitely a hammer! It gave me warm and tinglies knowing the lug wouldnít have a chance to move even it if wanted to.

YMMV but either way you wonít have a problem moving. If you get a 6 creed and donít want it Iíd be interested in buying it haha!


Sierracharlie outÖ
As of now I told them to bed it. Just trying to figure out if it was worth it over the few cons. Ex. Not being able to switch actions easily, etc. Its hard to know. Ive been reading like crazy. I way over think and stress things. I drive myself insane.

I did go 6 creed.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
As of now I told them to bed it. Just trying to figure out if it was worth it over the few cons. Ex. Not being able to switch actions easily, etc. Its hard to know. Ive been reading like crazy. I way over think and stress things. I drive myself insane.



I did go 6 creed.

I think you will be fine and yes are way overthinking haha!! But I think most people do that at some point. If you ever want to sell it, sell it as a package (barreled action and stock) it will retain more resale value that way IMO.

I have a hunch once you put hands on it and a few rounds down range you wonít be wanting to get rid of it any time soon! Nice snag!


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
I think you will be fine and yes are way overthinking haha!! But I think most people do that at some point. If you ever want to sell it, sell it as a package (barreled action and stock) it will retain more resale value that way IMO.

I have a hunch once you put hands on it and a few rounds down range you won’t be wanting to get rid of it any time soon! Nice snag!


Sierracharlie out…
I will probably leave it getting bedded for now. Will continue to stress all my choices though haha it's really a problem...

I'm sure I will love it. It would really fill a huge void in my safe and see alot of use. I'm not 100% sold on the barrel but figured shoot it out and go from there. This kinda build is not something I have a ton of knowledge about but seemed like a fair deal by a reputable builder. I felt like I shouldnt pass it up.

Last edited by OSU Fisher; 01-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #30
Jakedasnke
Nubbin' Buck
 
Jakedasnke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Default

Does anybody have an idea on weight? He stated standard fill and everything is moving heavy but then said it will be on the lighter side. My father in law tried calling earlier in the week but they must be out of the office due to shot show
Jakedasnke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #31
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedasnke View Post
Does anybody have an idea on weight? He stated standard fill and everything is moving heavy but then said it will be on the lighter side. My father in law tried calling earlier in the week but they must be out of the office due to shot show
They are there just not the whole crew and super busy because of this deal. George said he figures 13-14 like it sits in the video and 17-18 with scope bipod etc.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #32
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedasnke View Post
Does anybody have an idea on weight? He stated standard fill and everything is moving heavy but then said it will be on the lighter side. My father in law tried calling earlier in the week but they must be out of the office due to shot show

That is their biggest complaint. It doesnít matter what time of year it is, they are very hard to get a hold of. Unless they have added people to answer phones and such. Just keep calling you will get someone eventually.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
Jakedasnke
Nubbin' Buck
 
Jakedasnke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
They are there just not the whole crew and super busy because of this deal. George said he figures 13-14 like it sits in the video and 17-18 with scope bipod etc.
Thank you. Seems like a lot of rifle for the price tag. Hope itís a success and they continue it in the future. Sure seems like a good time to be a consumer in the gun market.
Jakedasnke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #34
TxLonghorn
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
Thoughts on the 6 creed and 6gt?
Creed has some more capacity but gt is more efficient of a case

So gt gets you close to creed but more barrel life.
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #35
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedasnke View Post
Thank you. Seems like a lot of rifle for the price tag. Hope itís a success and they continue it in the future. Sure seems like a good time to be a consumer in the gun market.
Ken Lin is who you need to talk to. You will be fine without bedding. Rifle complete with scope should be in the 18 LB range. Keep in mind, heavy is beneficial in PRS.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #36
OSU Fisher
Four Point
 
OSU Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: All over
Default

You guys who may be into this kinda rifle/PRS would you have a full length ARCA rail installed or just a pic rail. I run atlas bipods and pic rails on all my rifles but could get that RRS or 419 adapter for my bipods that do both arca and picatinny.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #37
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
Have you heard of badrock rifles? Bought one of those units in 6.5prc while back. Get that unit right at that price and shoot lights out. Brother in law has taken that rifle to 1200 several times and he loves it. Itís a chassis tho.
Yes sir i have. Sorry im just seeing this. There are a lot of great shooting rifles in the $2k price range these days. Prices have really come down lately.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #38
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Fisher View Post
You guys who may be into this kinda rifle/PRS would you have a full length ARCA rail installed or just a pic rail. I run atlas bipods and pic rails on all my rifles but could get that RRS or 419 adapter for my bipods that do both arca and picatinny.
ARCA without a doubt
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
ARCA without a doubt
Agreed. Full length Arca rail from Area 419 with the ball detents is about perfect.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com