Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #51
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

I was expecting to read a significant study about how these new rules will help the elk population......can't find it anywhere.

How much of your $$$ does CO keep if you're unsuccessful in the draw?
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #52
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'm sure Elk Calf mortality in these units has NOTHING to do with the release of all the nuisance bears from populated areas such as Durango

They open up increased Bear Tags with CAPS in these areas at reduced rates, yet don't encourage additional population control of predators like Coyotes and Mt. Lions. CO has a great resource, but its run by Left-Wing idiots who mandate based on Disney Movies.
Not only that, they are trying to put forced reintroduction of wolves on the ballot this year despite 26 counties saying they don't want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I was expecting to read a significant study about how these new rules will help the elk population......can't find it anywhere.
Don't need a study. Just need to make decisions based on emotion.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #53
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
How much of your $$$ does CO keep if you're unsuccessful in the draw?
100% of it
To apply you must first buy a qualifying license, Small Game is $82 and a $10 Habitat Stamp. $9 per species you apply for (except $100 for sheep, moose and goat). They keep all the money if you're unsuccessful.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #54
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
100% of it
To apply you must first buy a qualifying license, Small Game is $82 and a $10 Habitat Stamp. $9 per species you apply for (except $100 for sheep, moose and goat). They keep all the money if you're unsuccessful.
Hmmmm......bet that's not really in play with their decisions
Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #55
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hmmmm......bet that's not really in play with their decisions
Of course not, they are basing this off detailed studies and definitely not money and emotions
Old 01-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #56
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
100% of it
Most states keep some portion of your money. In Colorado, it's like $100. AZ and NV have similar app process. If you draw, then they take the remaining money for the tag, or approximately $600.

Colorado got huge push back two years ago when they reduced the price to apply from over $100 to like 25 a species. Too many people were applying, which blew up point creep for 2018.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #57
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Most states keep some portion of your money. In Colorado, it's like $100. AZ and NV have similar app process. If you draw, then they take the remaining money for the tag, or approximately $600.

Colorado got huge push back two years ago when they reduced the price to apply from over $100 to like 25 a species. Too many people were applying, which blew up point creep for 2018.
I'm not complaining about the cost- its a lot more expensive to apply in some other states and Id say certainly one of the more affordable apps. I wish TPWD would increase our non-res and res app fees and make a difference between res/non-res tags among several other things; different convo though. Point is I don't mind paying to play within reason.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #58
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

This really bites. Here is the real question, how many licenses will be in the draw compared to how many licenses were purchased last year OTC, per GMU. 50% reduction, 75% reduction? What is going to be the qty of draw licenses available? Will OTC Archery bear now be Archery draw only too? This really bites!
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #59
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
This really bites. Here is the real question, how many licenses will be in the draw compared to how many licenses were purchased last year OTC, per GMU. 50% reduction, 75% reduction? What is going to be the qty of draw licenses available? Will OTC Archery bear now be Archery draw only too? This really bites!
I would say once they get survey numbers back from last year, they will have a better answer. Last I saw was for spring 2018 (I think they are issued right after the snow melts), but maybe someone posted 2019 and I missed it in this thread?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #60
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
I'm talking about Public and Private. Tons of Texas residents looking for hunting land. Residents should have priority over non-residents.
Pass

Residents already get 5 tags each over the counter the ones looking just don’t want to pay what it takes to hunt the area they want. Still plenty of cheaper areas. A draw doesn’t make that land available to them just might keep someone else off of it.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #61
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Pass

Residents already get 5 tags each over the counter the ones looking just don’t want to pay what it takes to hunt the area they want. Still plenty of cheaper areas. A draw doesn’t make that land available to them just might keep someone else off of it.
That's a wag on your part.....and I disagree with you, regardless....

Residents should have priority over non-residents
Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #62
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's a wag on your part.....and I disagree with you, regardless....

Residents should have priority over non-residents
I’d bet money lots of land would be off the market if that happened. Ours would be off for sure. No guarantee of the same hunters and management would make private land worse.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #63
Conrad
Spike

Hunt In: Four corners regions. TX Hill Country.

Following
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #64
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Not only that, they are trying to put forced reintroduction of wolves on the ballot this year despite 26 counties saying they don't want it.

Don't need a study. Just need to make decisions based on emotion.
CP&W isn't trying to force reintroduction of wolves. Crazy liberal New Jersey cat ladies are trying to get that on the ballot.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #65
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I’d bet money lots of land would be off the market if that happened. Ours would be off for sure. No guarantee of the same hunters and management would make private land worse.
Why would yours be off the market? You don't think Texas residents should have priority over non-residents hunting a state resource?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #66
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Why would yours be off the market? You don't think Texas residents should have priority over non-residents hunting a state resource?
When talking about Colorado we aren't talking about a state resource, we are talking about a national resource that "we" all pay for it just happens to be located in Colorado.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #67
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
When talking about Colorado we aren't talking about a state resource, we are talking about a national resource that "we" all pay for it just happens to be located in Colorado.
Talking about Texas....sorry for the derail on this thread
Old 01-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #68
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Don’t care for having a revolving door of different hunters with different management standards.

Also suppose it drove pricing down I believe many landowners would have the same mindset. For many it’s borderline already.

I don’t believe anyone deserves priority on private land except those who are the best fit for the landowner. Public land is different.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #69
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
I think CPW would disagree. The game located in CO is a state resource. We may help fund management of that resource (including funding management of the land on which the game resides), but the game belongs to the state.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #70
7sdad
Ten Point

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top