Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #101
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Been riding for many years knock on wood no accidents. I mostly ride for pleasure on back roads for wind and scenery in nice weather, although did ride a lot from Frisco to Dallas to work for several years but on HOV where I had some protection from the hordes of cars.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #102
Shortya
Four Point

It all boils down to a personal choice. Just like hunting...it isn't for everyone.

Years ago I was director for a rehab company that specialized in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in the home setting. Typical patient was mid 40's male motorcycle accident.
First home visit I went on was a patient with exact same birthday as mine, kiddos similar in age to mine....he had been in Baylor rehab for almost a year and was brought home with our company to rehab him....unable to walk, speak, feed himself, etc. Totally dependent on others to care for him.....

I grew up racing motorcross and had bikes my whole life. Haven't been on one since that day. Called my wife in tears from their driveway. Told her I was DONE!" Just hit waaaay too close to home that "he" could have been "me."

Individual experiences are going to dictate and influence individual choices....

Last edited by Shortya; 08-22-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Shortya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #103
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

There are 2 types of riders..... those who have and those who haven't.... GONE DOWN!!
You will go down at some point!!
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #104
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortya View Post
It all boils down to a personal choice. Just like hunting...it isn't for everyone.

Years ago I was director for a rehab company that specialized in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in the home setting. Typical patient was mid 40's male motorcycle accident.
First home visit I went on was a patient with exact same birthday as mine, kiddos similar in age to mine....he had been in Baylor rehab for almost a year and was brought home with our company to rehab him....unable to walk, speak, feed himself, etc. Totally dependent on others to care for him.....

I grew up racing motorcross and had bikes my whole life. Haven't been on one since that day. Called my wife in tears from their driveway. Told her I was DONE!" Just hit waaaay too close to home that "he" could have been "me."

Individual experiences are going to dictate and influence individual choices....
Man that's powerful testament right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatcutter View Post
There are 2 types of riders..... those who have and those who haven't.... GONE DOWN!!
You will go down at some point!!
I never did, but then I quit while I was ahead.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #105
geezer56
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgia

I am late to the party but I have to comment. I rode for years, usually about 20K per year. Loved it. Until I bounced. But I kept riding. Then my best friend rode a Harley through a Ford that ran a stop sign, drunk driver. We could have buried him in a shoe box. I rode in his funeral procession, parked the bike, and sold it 2 years later. I decided I was too old to get busted up or die on a motorcycle. I have too many people that depend on me, and I want to live long enough to see my grandkids.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #106
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

I've been riding most of my life, I'm 62 and still riding everyday. Never asked for anyone's opinion because I know what their OPINION would be. I've been down but got back up. If I die on it, I died doing what I love. If I die in a deer blind, I've died doing what love. If your scared at all don't do it or your going to get hurt or killed. You better worry about getting killed at your Walmart or driving on the freeway, that would really **** me off.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top