2020 “modified buffalo” fall plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 “modified buffalo” fall plot

This will be 3rd fall planting on this plot without breaking the soil. This will be first fall planting on this plot with ZERO gly as well. I “think”(hope) I have such a cover of peas that choked out everything that I don’t need it... will see. I’ll try and keep pics in order of events so it makes sense

The vines were 9’-12’ long and still producing. Deer have been living in them for months and can’t keep up! Amazing crop this spring

I didn’t want to kill em all so I’m hoping that by cutting with vines blown over at least a small portion will survive till frost. If not that’s ok
    Attached Files

With peas standing I broadcast straight into them

30#- oats
    20# barley
    20# triticale
    20# wheat
    10# winter peas
    Top dressed 2# of PTT

PER ACRE
    Attached Files

Comment

Next I tried something outside the box...

I had a 10’ hay mower already hooked up...

Since they were blown over as bad as they were and not “snapping” I didn’t roll them and really didn’t care if I didn’t kill 100% of them... but had to thin them out. So I ran a 10’ Kuhn over them. Lol
      Note: I realize everyone ain’t got that equipment... and if ya do, I don’t suggest you take it through most plots, but I knew what I had under the foliage.

So now, I have 100% of seed on wet moist dirt, with wet moist nitrogen rich compost on top protecting from birds. And now we wait...

Stay tuned

Comment

Pics of cut peas over seed. You can see peas climbing trees
        Attached Files

Comment

... oh. And while mowing, after walking it putting out seed... kicked up 2 cottonmouths in the peas

Comment

I bet the deer get in there and wear them peas out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is going to be another excellent plot with all that good mulch. In for the results. I planted a couple acres last weekend and had over 1" of rain on it since. Used the cone spreader for the first time and it sure saves time instead of putting out 200 lbs of seed by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                I bet the deer get in there and wear them peas out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I never read what you say, but love the avatar

Comment

Looks like you’ll have great results Low Fence. We want to try something similar this fall. Not trying to hijack your thread because I think this is a similar subject....

Farm in Wise county. 7 and 4 acre plots we plant wheat each year by discing, spread and drag. Each summer Johnson grass and other weeds grow then we just repeat. This year (like in 2-3 weeks before the next rain) we’re thinking of broadcasting the fall mix (wheat, oats, peas, etc) and mowing all the Johnson grass as mulch. Going to try spraying one plot with gly first. Thought?

Comment

In that situation. I’d spray now if possible. Broadcast seed once dead and then mow or roll after. If you don’t have ability for 2 trips, then I’d wait another 2 weeks or so and shred and broadcast before a rain... or broadcast then shred.... it will fall into the thatch very easily

Comment

I am hoping to spray my plot in the next 10 days and then grain drill in mid October around rain

Comment

@1 week

Standing peas and pea thatch
                        Attached Files

Comment

Heck yeah! Love this man. WIll be following..

Tell me more when and what you planted in the spring? I never had much luck with summer plots bc lack of rain

Comment

That will turn out beautiful!

Comment

Thats very cool. I had hoped to try something similar this year...drilling fall mix into standing forage soybeans. Everything was going along nicely till Laura. hit. The bull dozer pushing all the trees out of the field interrupted the plan.

Keep this pics coming of progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X