Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-02-2020, 05:27 AM   #1
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Question Guide gratuities

I’ve looked at a lot of sites regarding assorted hunts etc etc. Most if not all state “gratuities not included”. Furthermore your expected to tip the cook and the guide.
What is the going rate for this? Now I’m fully aware that there are wealthy people on this site and tipping doesn’t affect them at all. This isn’t directed at y’all. This question is for Joe average that has to get a big game hunt past the wage and means committee!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

I typically go $100 a day for guide and $25 a day for the cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sotx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Hogmauler
Ten Point

That doesn’t sound too bad.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
Paycheck
Ten Point

About 15 percent guide and about $25 also for cook.
Paycheck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

So it says gratuities not included. You're paying for hunt, place to stay and stuff to eat. isn't that outrageous price already enough? Should you tip the person that went to the beer store, or the one that made the bed? I mean come on where does it stop? If gratuities aren't included they shouldn't be upset if you don't tip the cook or guide. That should be completely up to you. If there is a "going rate" on tipping hunting guides, cooks, and such they should just add it in the price and say all inclusive.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Ask what's included in your hunt. Ask them to be specific. Then consider what it was worth for anything/everything they did extra.

Some also depends on what/where you're hunting.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

15-20% of the hunt guide , lots of work behind the scenes.
Now if it’s just a guy driving you to a blind ( use your own judgment)
On my mulie and pronghorn hunts it took a guide to scout, care for 1-2 hunters, skin and cape the trophy , pack it out
A cook to feed breakfast and lunch, coffee, tea ,soft drink, snack everyone for 2-4 days 4am-7pm
Other hunts can be lots more complicated
Others require substantial less guide and camp support, use your own judgment

Last edited by pilar; 08-02-2020 at 08:42 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
Hogmauler
Ten Point

I would think most of their “guides” are folks like us (or like I used to be) with a full time job and using the guide gig for a side huddle. I’m with the doc. Put it in the price and tag it all inclusive.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
timoub007
Eight Point

TL;DR version...
It depends on the hunt you are going on.

One place we have been going to for 20+ years is very DIY, self guided but has set hunting spots to use as well. They started having a ranch hand make a feed run most afternoons throwing a bit of corn and alfalfa at many of the fixed spots, sort of like how GarGuy does his consistent hand corning. When we have the guy hit our spots while we're there we throw him $10-$20 per day. Same place says you can either clean the bunkhouse yourself before leaving or pay a small fee for someone else to clean after you leave. We always pay more than the small fee, not because we make a terrible mess of the place (unless it was a wet week) but because its a task we appreciate someone else doing for us.

I have been places where they did full service like the cooking and cleaning of your animals and I usually give those people a small tip if I like the service provided (similar to my tipping habits at a restaurant, nothing is guaranteed). I prefer to do a lot of this myself so someone has to exceed my standards to get more than a small tip.

Now that I have my own place I sell a few exotics every year to help with the feed bill. It is not my day job so I do not advertise or take a lot of people. I do not expect a thing extra from someone who comes to gun with me. It is my place so if I thought that I needed more I would charge more than I do. If I cook for the group then I just ask everyone chip in to cover their portion of the groceries and include myself in the calculation. If I help wit animal care that is because I enjoy it and do not expect to be paid for it. I have had a few people add a little extra at the end of their trip and I always appreciate it, but it is not something I expect. But again I do not have every Tom, Richard or Harriet out at my place and don't deal with a mass of revolving idiots every weekend of the year.

Tim
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Never cleaned an elk as an older man so yes O would definitely feel the need to tip a person for that. And now that I think about it they are there on their day off trying to make someone’s hunt successful. Having said that these folks probably know where the animals are at on the ranch. Don’t know if they would drag a three day hunt out three days if they could get you on a good animal in a day. Some would Im sure if they are getting tipped daily.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
I’ve looked at a lot of sites regarding assorted hunts etc etc. Most if not all state “gratuities not included”. Furthermore your expected to tip the cook and the guide.
What is the going rate for this? Now I’m fully aware that there are wealthy people on this site and tipping doesn’t affect them at all. This isn’t directed at y’all. This question is for Joe average that has to get a big game hunt past the wage and means committee!
First thing you need to understand is "Tipping" isn't based on what Tax Bracket you're in. For the most part, the best tippers aren't the "Wealthy".

Tipping is based on your experience and how well you think that person or persons did that provided you a service. It is also usually someone other than the person or company you wrote a "check" to for the hunt, itself. If you expect gratuity to be included in a hunt, you need to express that to the outfitter or company beforehand.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

It's pretty accepted to tip guided and cooks, if you don't then you're that guy and probably won't get invited back to that camp.
That being said, you don't tip a guide that does nothing and really has no interest in getting your animal.
The cook is up way before anyone else, getting breakfast and lunch together for you, making sure you have plenty to eat and having a hot meal when you get back at night.
If they're a good cook then tip them.

Some of you non tippers need to go guide for a season or cook for a camp.
The outfitter sets the price for a hunt, guides have nothing to do with that.
If you don't intend to tip then you should tell the outfitter that up front, see what they have to say about that when you book your hunt.

I've cooked and guided, not easy and it's hard work. My cooking didn't differ based on a tip or not but you sure know if they enjoyed the food by the tip amount.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
steve corn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam county

I have never been able to go on a guided hunt because of the prices. If I were to come up with the money to book a hunt I would prefer to know up front what the total cost is going to be. If more money is needed to properly compensate the guide or cook let me know ahead of time what that should be, then I could make an informed decision on booking a hunt or not. or better yet pay them the expected amount and advertise the full amount. JMO
steve corn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
drbonner
Ten Point

Just to clarify, I've only looked at 5-6 day whitetail hunts. I'm paying for a place to hunt that isn't overhunted, a place to shower and sleep, and 2 maybe 3 meals a day. If that hunt is $3500 I shouldn't be expected to tip a guide $400-500 that told me how to get to a stand, field dressed and cut up my deer. I shouldn't be expected to tip the cook $125-150. My meals were included. Like I said, if they think I should, I think they should include that in the price of the hunt.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
pilar
Ten Point

30 years in the hunting and fishing business and I still remember the worst tip I got
It was Earl Campbell 5 days of both filming for a tv show and busting butt for him guiding, and he “ tipped “ everyone with a cooler of bacon and sausage products and a autographed photo
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
RR 314
Pope & Young

I don't tip based on percentage of cost of the hunt. If I am in Africa and run a tab up killing roan and sable, rather than warthogs and impala, if the effort is effectively the same I tip the same. It goes both ways. If I'm not feeling bloody, but the guide/PH does his job I tip well.

Do you guys who go on $100,000 plus sheep hunts tip a percentage of the tab? I get it that the guide/outfitter has time and expenses in the hunt, but certainly that is considered in his pricing. I know I'm not tipping somebody $15-20K under this scenario.

There is a good discussion on accuratereloading where the moderator has started deleting any posts for hunts that even mention tips or gratuities not being included. Of course they shouldn't be included--it is a tip. His point is a guide/PH shouldn't mention a tip and if they do, on his site, their posts will be deleted.

Last edited by RR 314; 08-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
Just to clarify, I've only looked at 5-6 day whitetail hunts. I'm paying for a place to hunt that isn't overhunted, a place to shower and sleep, and 2 maybe 3 meals a day. If that hunt is $3500 I shouldn't be expected to tip a guide $400-500 that told me how to get to a stand, field dressed and cut up my deer. I shouldn't be expected to tip the cook $125-150. My meals were included. Like I said, if they think I should, I think they should include that in the price of the hunt.
$3500 week long hunt IMO = a 15% whole camp gratuity
Owner should know how to split it up
On a Yacht rental place staff gratuity in a envelope give to the owner / captain he will dole out the Proper performance based
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #18
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
$3500 week long hunt IMO = a 15% whole camp gratuity
Owner should know how to split it up
On a Yacht rental place staff gratuity in a envelope give to the owner / captain he will dole out the Proper performance based
Then the outfitter should just put the extra $525 in the price of the hunt and say gratuities are included.

Last edited by drbonner; 08-02-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
Johnny44
Ten Point

It really depends on how much they slow me down. I usually just use them as pack mules.
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Then the outfitter should just put the extra $525 in the price of the hunt and say gratuities are included.
Or you should add that to your budget of the hunt and bring it
Then if the staff doesn’t make any effort to make the trip enjoyable you can make your own judgment call
Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #21
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Or you should add that to your budget of the hunt and bring it
Then if the staff doesn’t make any effort to make the trip enjoyable you can make your own judgment call
If little to no effort is made I won't go back, period.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #22
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Gratuities should be based on service above what it included in your hunt.
You tip according to the service the guide our cook gave you above and beyond what he or she is paid to do.

If they don't put in the effort then no you don't tip them.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #23
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
You tip according to the service the guide our cook gave you above and beyond what he or she is paid to do.

100%
We pay a fair industry standards wage to the captain and deck crew and such
Same with any guides and cooks, camp staff
Anything the staffs do extra is Appreciated
Old 08-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #24
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Dang I wish you guys would tip me for getting up when I usually do and making coffee, bacon, and eggs, and a side of cinnamon roles! Shat! If you put it in the price, now that I’m thinking about it, and the service suxx, then you’ve tipped for poor service. Darned if you do darned if you don’t!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
MAP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Live Oak, Jim Wells, Dimmit Counties

A 10% tip for the guide is a good base, but on high end hunts over $10K that tip can get alittle excessive. And most cooks are only out there because they are a friend of the outfitter and helping them out, or they simply enjoy being in camp and want to offer their service so they can hang out. For a week long hunt I'd probably tip $200 for the cook, especially if I was the only one hunting in camp. Some places have professional chefs that went to culinary school and are normally on salary pay for the ranch/outfitter. But those are normally places that offer year around trips for various activities.

When a hunt price says "meals included" I normally take that as they are providing the food so I dont have to pick any up. But I dont assume that includes the cooks time and effort to prepare it for me.

I went on a trophy deer hunt this past season for a week and they wouldnt allow any tipping, except to the maids/cooks. They said they found tipping the guides lead to problems in years past.
MAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
A 10% tip for the guide is a good base, but on high end hunts over $10K that tip can get alittle excessive. And most cooks are only out there because they are a friend of the outfitter and helping them out, or they simply enjoy being in camp and want to offer their service so they can hang out. For a week long hunt I'd probably tip $200 for the cook, especially if I was the only one hunting in camp. Some places have professional chefs that went to culinary school and are normally on salary pay for the ranch/outfitter. But those are normally places that offer year around trips for various activities.

When a hunt price says "meals included" I normally take that as they are providing the food so I dont have to pick any up. But I dont assume that includes the cooks time and effort to prepare it for me.

I went on a trophy deer hunt this past season for a week and they wouldnt allow any tipping, except to the maids/cooks. They said they found tipping the guides lead to problems in years past.
To go with the last sentence, the quickest way to tick off most PHs in Africa is to overtip your trackers. Guys did a great job for us and on day two I tipped each tracker $100. They got hammered and one didn’t show and the other one was worthless the next day. PH was ******! :-)
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #27
Hogmauler
Ten Point

So do guides expect to be tipped daily? If so that goes back to an earlier post that some folks will extend the hunt, even though they coulda gotten you on an animal day one, just to collect the extra cash. When I sold real estate I knew agents that wouldn’t show homes unless they were offering 3% to the buyers agent or had a BTSA tacked on it. People do it all day long.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #28
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
So do guides expect to be tipped daily? If so that goes back to an earlier post that some folks will extend the hunt, even though they coulda gotten you on an animal day one, just to collect the extra cash. When I sold real estate I knew agents that wouldn’t show homes unless they were offering 3% to the buyers agent or had a BTSA tacked on it. People do it all day long.
Ain't no way I'm tipping daily unless it's a SA hunt maybe where it's more customary perhaps
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #29
Hobbs
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Never tip a guide or cook on a percentage of the hunt price. That's insane. Tip what you feel their service was worth.
Hobbs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #30
MAP
Ten Point

Quote:
So do guides expect to be tipped daily?
Quote:
Ain't no way I'm tipping daily unless it's a SA hunt maybe where it's more customary perhaps
Your not suppose to sit around the dinner table each night and pull out cash to hand the guides for each day. You tip as your leaving camp or if the person your tipping is leaving before you do. I prefer to give the tip directly to the person who I want to give it to, rather than leave everything with somebody to pass out. I worked on a ranch in college and the tips never seemed to dribble down to me when this was done.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #31
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post

The hunts I've looked at said that they included the hunt, lodging, meals, tracking the deer, caring for/processing, etc.... in my opinion that means everything is covered. No gratuity needed. If the outfitter suggests I tip them, I'd tell him I've already paid for that service.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #32
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
Never tip a guide or cook on a percentage of the hunt price. That's insane. Tip what you feel their service was worth.
What if their service is included in the hunt price?
Old 08-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #33
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

I love you guys who don’t think a guide deserves a tip. Makes it all the easier to get the best guides for myself. If you are a one and done guy and have no intention of ever going back to hunt with the outfitter AND you want to be a *****, don’t tip.

I don’t tip a standard amount. I tip based on how good the guide was. If he busts his butt and works hard then he gets a great tip. If he doesn’t then he will feel it in his pocket book with a lighter tip.

I can assure you that there are places that I have hunted multiple times and if you are a repeat client then the best guides know if you tip well or not. For me, I want the best guide and I want him to want to work hard for me.

And don’t “tip” by giving the guide your knife or crappy optics. They already own a knife and optics. And theirs are probably AT LEAST as good as yours if not better. That isn’t a tip. That’s an insult.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

No way in hell....I want to be in control of that $525. If my guide busts his *** and the cook does a good job then they get the tip. If its included aready, they can screw off or do just the bare minimum because they are getting paid no matter what and have zero incentive.

Plus they can work harder and get a larger tip than "standard" if their hunter deems it earned. Some guys will bust their *** and it pays off for them. So guys are happy doing the bare minimum. Incentives are a good tool for the payer and payee....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #35
Hogmauler
Ten Point

I don’t think it’s about being an a hole. It’s what’s reasonable and customary. As far as an elk hunt goes even a cheap hunt will put me at my limit of what I’m able to pay for myself and my son. I think most places charge at least $100.00 per day for meals and lodging which is very reasonable. And yes we will be a “one and done” but still plan on tipping some amount.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #36
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
I don’t think it’s about being an a hole. It’s what’s reasonable and customary. As far as an elk hunt goes even a cheap hunt will put me at my limit of what I’m able to pay for myself and my son. I think most places charge at least $100.00 per day for meals and lodging which is very reasonable. And yes we will be a “one and done” but still plan on tipping some amount.
Whether you're a one and doner or not, if you pay $3-4000 for a hunt that is advertised as all inclusive, you shouldn't be expected to tip.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #37
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
No way in hell....I want to be in control of that $525. If my guide busts his *** and the cook does a good job then they get the tip. If its included aready, they can screw off or do just the bare minimum because they are getting paid no matter what and have zero incentive.

Plus they can work harder and get a larger tip than "standard" if their hunter deems it earned. Some guys will bust their *** and it pays off for them. So guys are happy doing the bare minimum. Incentives are a good tool for the payer and payee....

100% right on. No place has this proven more so than the cruise industry. 20 years ago, on the last day of your cruise, you were presented with envelopes for gratuity. One for your head waiter, one for your waiter, one for your cabin steward, etc. So from day one of that cruise all of those people busted their *** to make sure that your every need was attended to and you tipped accordingly. About 10 years ago, the cruise industry went to "tip included" pricing. The food quality, the service, the attitude, everything got worse almost immediately. They now got paid the same no matter how well they took care of you and the experience was cheapened.

I guarantee you that this is exactly what would happen in any industry it could be applied to, including the hunting industry.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #38
MAP
Ten Point

Quote:
Whether you're a one and doner or not, if you pay $3-4000 for a hunt that is advertised as all inclusive, you shouldn't be expected to tip.
Its the same at a restaurant, the steak is listed at $50. Is that all your going to leave?

I bet a guide works alittle harder than a waiter
Old 08-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #39
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Try going on a hunt and not tipping. See how hard they try for you the second time. The outfitter sets his price. Doesn’t matter what guide you have, the price is the same. All guides are not created equal and if you don’t think that the quality of your guide is a determinate in the success of your hunt then you haven’t been on many guided hunts. Some guides earn a great tip. Some don’t......irregardless of the type of success you have.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #40
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
100% right on. No place has this proven more so than the cruise industry. 20 years ago, on the last day of your cruise, you were presented with envelopes for gratuity. One for your head waiter, one for your waiter, one for your cabin steward, etc. So from day one of that cruise all of those people busted their *** to make sure that your every need was attended to and you tipped accordingly. About 10 years ago, the cruise industry went to "tip included" pricing. The food quality, the service, the attitude, everything got worse almost immediately. They now got paid the same no matter how well they took care of you and the experience was cheapened.

I guarantee you that this is exactly what would happen in any industry it could be applied to, including the hunting industry.
100% dead on
Old 08-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #41
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
Its the same at a restaurant, the steak is listed at $50. Is that all your going to leave?

I bet a guide works alittle harder than a waiter
Go to the thread about restaurant tipping. I tip at restaurants because waiters make far less than minimum wage and that is a service where theyre waiting on you. IF I'm told that all the things theyre doing is provided in their package, should you tip? I don't think so.

If that steak isn't worth a crap I probably won't go back.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #42
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Maybe in your eye's, but not 95% of people. Have you ever been on a cruise or been out to eat at a nice restaurant with a $150 bill for just two? Did you not leave a tip? If not, female hygiene product comes to mind.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Wow your a d b if you don’t tip at $150.00 for two people? I’ve be outta the loop way too long Sack! In fact it’s been so long since George saw light he squints when I open my wallet! That’s why I Hand the bill to my wife and let her fill out the tip.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #44
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
I've never guided a back country hunt but I've been guiding whitetail and exotics on and off for the past 8 years and, in my experience, there is no standard percentage or expectation in the industry over here. I've had really wealthy celebrity type clients leave a $100 tip for a $10,000 animal and I've had average blue collar guys leave a $400 tip for a $1500 management deer. I try to work equally hard for every client. From scouting their target animal to driving them around, sitting with them, putting on a stalk if necessary, to videoing the shot / taking pictures and cleaning their animal. Our days usually start at 4 or 5 am and end around 10-10:30 pm...sometimes later.
It seems like they are less likely to tip well if their hunt is being paid for by someone else. I think the assumption is the company or individual paying for the hunt is also responsible for tipping the guides but that is not always the case.

I can tell you any amount of cash is greatly appreciated. If we have a successful hunt and the hunter bags a nice trophy, I personally feel a $200-$300 is a fair tip for the amount of work I put in for each hunter. $400 per hunter would be very good. If you look around the internet a lot of websites suggest 10% of the value of the hunt. On average, it's usually more like 5%.

The non-tippers and guys who think summer sausage / jerky are acceptable forms of tipping are the worst. Please don't give us deer meat. We generally have more meat in the freezer than we can eat.

Last edited by Sika; 08-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #45
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

This...and...not all hunts are created equal.

I get paid a daily rate for guiding. It's the same rate whether I put in an 8 hour day or an 18 hour day.

If I already have the animal patterned and it's just a matter of driving to the stand, sitting until the feeder goes off and putting said animal on the tailgate, that's a very different hunt than having to work my tail off to find a target for the hunter and spending days looking for, stalking and driving around until we locate a target. Obviously, I'm putting in a lot more hours on certain hunts, especially if it's a bow hunt or if my hunter and I are looking for a specific deer that is difficult to pattern.

And if it's a 2 on 1 hunt I have two hunters to deal with and that doubles the work.

I'm not complaining about the rate. Every ranch I guide for pays either $200 or $225 per day, which a fair rate, but it's nice to get a little bonus money for going above and beyond to get your hunter a trophy he is thrilled with.

Last edited by Sika; 08-02-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #46
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I've never guided a back country hunt but I've been guiding whitetail and exotics on and off for the past 8 years and, in my experience, there is no standard percentage or expectation in the industry over here. I've had really wealthy celebrity type clients leave a $100 tip for a $10,000 animal and I've had average blue collar guys leave a $400 tip for a $1500 management deer. I try to work equally hard for every client. From scouting their target animal to driving them around, sitting with them, putting on a stalk if necessary, to videoing the shot / taking pictures and cleaning their animal. Our days usually start at 4 or 5 am and end around 10-10:30 pm...sometimes later.
It seems like they are less likely to tip well if their hunt is being paid for by someone else. I think the assumption is the company or individual paying for the hunt is also responsible for tipping the guides but that is not always the case.

I can tell you any amount of cash is greatly appreciated. If we have a successful hunt and the hunter bags a nice trophy, I personally feel a $200-$300 is a fair tip for the amount of work I put in for each hunter. $400 per hunter would be very good. If you look around the internet a lot of websites suggest 10% of the value of the hunt. On average, it's usually more like 5%.

The non-tippers and guys who think summer sausage / jerky are acceptable forms of tipping are the worst. Please don't give us deer meat. We generally have more meat in the freezer than we can eat.
Yep I sure could have used the $$ instead But it’s easy to laugh at now
“” 30 years in the hunting and fishing business and I still remember the worst tip I got
It was Earl Campbell 5 days of both filming for a tv show and busting butt for him guiding, and he “ tipped “ everyone with a cooler of bacon and sausage products and a autographed photo””
Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #47
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I enjoy being in charge of my own gratuity. I like to compensate those who work hard and not those who just go through the motions. Doesn't matter where I am at or doing.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #48
JB_Archery
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

Sika is dead on... if you pay for a hunt and the guide puts you on the animal you showed up to shoot and worked their tail off to do so then the guide deserves a tip. Like everyone else said be prepared to tip based on the service you get... if an outfitter includes the guides tip in the price he may now have priced his hunt out of the market plus his guides might not feel intrigued to work as hard
JB_Archery is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #49
Hogmauler
Ten Point

All good stuff y’all. The poor mans hobby has become the rich mans sport.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #50
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
All good stuff y’all. The poor mans hobby has become the rich mans sport.

Not true. It’s a CHOICE to go on a guided hunt. I know lots of blue collar, lower to middle income, budget sensitive guys that still hunt. Heck, Public land permits are still only $48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top