Is using a release aid beneficial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone on here was kind enough to send me a trad glove a few years ago (Thank you!), but I never really got accustomed to using it with any regularity.

Is there any advantage to using release aids, or is it just a personal preference?
    Last edited by TimH; 12-14-2018, 03:17 PM.

It will give you a consistent release for sure if you have a repeatable and solid anchor.

Gary

Comment

I never could like using releases on trad type bows, not cause it is not "traditional" but because the sudden release of all the weight just never felt right to me. That said i don't see how they couldn't actually release cleaner that using a glove . I use a tab and would recommend one to you as well if you don't care for the glove. I think you would like it better than a release, i like bateman cordovan tabs, they are slick and last a long time. If you have a release lying around and want to try it, go for it, you may love it. Be aware though if you plan on shooting in traditional classes in 3d etc, most of them require a finger release. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I played with one a few times. It is so discombobulating that I just shake my head and put it away. Our trad bows and arrows are tuned to shoot right using the effect of the string rolling off of the fingers or tab upon release. When you remove that effect, the arrow doesn't fly the same. I have read of guys with severe arthritis using releases and doing well with them. It is just a matter of getting your head wrapped around a new set of dynamics and adjusting the bow and arrow to make it work. At this point in time I don't have the motivation to take that step.

Comment

If you don’t like the glove, I would also advise to try a tab. Something else you might want to try is the Talon Thumb Tab. Here is a YouTube link to a video about it:

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI-XgMK5k"]The Talon Thumb Tab - YouTube[/ame]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Bisch; 12-16-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            If you don’t like the glove, I would also advise to try a tab. Something else you might want to try is the Talon Thumb Tab. Here is a YouTube link to a video about it:

Bisch

Man that is pretty darn neat! Since we've never met, is that you in the video? If so do you use that thumb tab for hunting?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Comment

To the OP.

I started out with a glove as well and just couldn't make it work. I now use a cheap (think $8) tab from Three Rivers. I bought the first one and liked it enough that once it wore out I ordered three replacements. Simple calf hair split finger tab works quite well for me.

Richard

Comment

No, that is not me in the video!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  No, that is not me in the video!

Bisch

Too young of a man to be you![emoji1787]

Gary