Tax Assessor Tresspassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Assessor Tresspassing

So when is it OK for a Tax Assessor to just drive on your property(under construction), invite himself in, and start taking measurements. I'm floored they can just do as they please without even asking the owner for permission.

They do it in our county. You need to keep the gate closed and locked. Ours drive around and take pictures of your place too.

Comment

Put no trespassing signs up and close lock gate. They will just fly it with a drone. Zoom in with satellite and you get rounded up estimates. But if you don’t like them actually walking around that’s what you get

Comment

Never!! Run them SOBs off. My MIL told the last one, if he ever came back she was going to shoot him lol. He left immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
          So when is it OK for a Tax Assessor to just drive on your property(under construction), invite himself in, and start taking measurements. I'm floored they can just do as they please without even asking the owner for permission.
          I'm not a law expert nor have I read up on this however my wife used to contract for a company that worked for banks by taking pictures of houses, assessing if they are occupied or not and if abandoned assessing damages etc both inside and out, and she was permitted to enter all properties UNLESS there was a no trespassing sign posted.

Having that sign posted required special permission to enter. I suspect a property assessor probably follows similar rules.

Go to the store and get yourself a sign and then you should have legal ground to stand on.

Comment

Let em take pics, y’all to them and tell them your building on a budget, might be to your advantage
            If not they’ll calculate your house at the max $$$ per square foot

Comment

I had one come in my garage when the door was open and measure it (in the country). It was 30 sq ft bigger than they had in the system. They reduced my living space by the amount they added to the garage.

Comment

these tax assessors are real ballsy when it comes to dealing with the typical home owner... of course down in south texas, they completely ignore the multi mllion dollar homes on large ranches down here and let them go completely tax free on 10,000+ square foot homes. Typical government ideology.

Comment

nope not legal... alot of changes going down in lakeway bc of this same thing..

Thursday, the City of Lakeway concluded a two-week investigation into claims of city code enforcers entering homes without permission. Last week, CBS Austin spoke to three home owners who have complained to the city about the issue. Each claims a city code enforcer walked into their home while they weren't there, without permission, and took pictures of construction projects in an effort to check for proper permits. City Manager Steve Jones responded:

Comment

I went out to my property a couple of years ago, got out to unlock the gate. Somebody had taken duct tape and completely wrapped the lock, enough I had to cut it off instead of unwrapping it. I thought it was a friend messing with me. When I got it off there was the tax assessors card against the lock with a note to call him about improvements on my place. I was ****** but what do you do???

Comment

They would probably get shot at my house.

Comment

I’m filing a complaint with the Texas Licensing Board against the appraiser who trespassed on my property. I am stopping short of filing charges against the fellow, but I want a note placed against him to answer for next time he renews his appraisal license.

Comment

Some people think they have way more power than they actually do. It’s ridiclulous.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                            I’m filing a complaint with the Texas Licensing Board against the appraiser who trespassed on my property. I am stopping short of filing charges against the fellow, but I want a note placed against him to answer for next time he renews his appraisal license.
                            Doing this won’t get a note on the appraisers file. The state licensing board likely wouldn’t accept the complaint because they don’t have jurisdiction in the matter. You’d probably be better filing a complaint with his employer.

Comment

They use drones now. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X