338 Lapua...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

338 Lapua...

My dad has a Savage 110 338 Lapua with a Nikon Monarch scope, I’ve been kicking around the idea to buy it from him. Has less than a box down the pipe, anyone shoot 338 Lapua here? Might be too much fun for what I hunt but the cool factor is a plus...

It's all about cool factor, buddy of mine has a custom and he is bustin antifreeze jugs at 1300 yards. It's fun just to watch he vapor trail.

teamron

Comment

One of our guys shoots deer with one. No need for gutting!

Comment

Would make a great packable rabbit / squirrel gun for plinking!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Sako TRG 42 in 338LM. I don't hunt with it much, it's to heavy, long and awkward to handle. Have shot some long distance pigs with it. The Sako is a superb rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
            I have a Sako TRG 42 in 338LM. I don't hunt with it much, it's to heavy, long and awkward to handle. Have shot some long distance pigs with it. The Sako is a superb rifle.

Whoa.. very nice!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy has the same setup. Savage 110 BA, an incredible rig out of the box. Even reloading he’s at almost $4 per round though. My .308 keeps up with his until we stretch out past 800yrds where I’m dialed up 24 MOA lol

Comment

I think I might get it, don't need it but ehh I want it lol.

Comment

rather spendy to pull the trigger , not much use for it unless you like LR and then well other calibers that are less money to shoot if your banging steel . But with that said I had one and it shot very well the Savage that is . Just had no real use for it , SUPER bulky heavy , cumbersome but again for ringing steel at long range or pigs it will get the job done

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                    I think I might get it, don't need it but ehh I want it lol.
                    Let me just say that I don’t own a 338 Lapua and have never shot one – although I do own a 338 WM. What I don’t understand is the appeal for one by most folks for hunting and typical steel plinking. The 338 Lapua shines at extreme long range. If shooting extreme long range that means one needs extreme accuracy. To obtain extreme accuracy that usually means long, heavy, usually custom (and expensive) barrels, and long heavy bullets. Actions to support the 338 Lapua, especially loaded with long heavy bullets, needs to be long, strong, actions (typically longer than most factory long actions). Of course, that all has to fit in a strong, heavy stock, and come equipped with a strong muzzle break and large heavy optic. Bottom line is that to fully utilize the potential of this cartridge at extreme long range, one has to have a large, very heavy (and expensive) rifle. Otherwise this cartridge in a lighter, typically factor produced, less expensive package has little advantage that I can see over other .338 and similar cartridges for medium range hunting/plinking. What am I missing here? Why own a 338 Lapua unless you plan to go all out with it.

Comment

.338 is, well, .338. There are better rounds for ELR. And with that comes a full custom build close to 25+ pounds 30" plus barrel. If you are talking closer in 1k or so, I would still choose a different caliber with less recoil. The .338 fills a factory ammo role that is not the best at any range, good at most.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X