I hate arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate arrows

Still trying to find the right weight of arrow to shoot. I asked this on another thread but have had no responses. I just added some weight to my arrows because I wanted more impact and penetration. I'm shooting a Halon 6 at 27" and 70lbs. All my arrows weight 553-555 grains total with 100 grain tips cut at 28". Now that i'm reading this maybe im way too heavy but I was recommended to try and get about 8 grains per lb of draw weight. Thats about 16 GPI. Am I way off shooting them this heavy? Shooting Easton Axis 340 spine arrows

They definitely thump the bag more than the 430ish I was shooting them at before but im sure there moving pretty slow compared to before.

Honestly its whatever performance you are looking for and how your bow shoots the particular arrow. I work in an archery shop and I usually suggest a a happy medium. 8 grains will definitely get you more speed and you shouldn't have any penetration issues. I shoot 60 pounds with a 29 inch draw. My arrows are GT XT hunters in 400 or 340 spine. My arrows weigh around 400 grains and at 28 inches long they shoot through everything. Your broadheads also are deciding factor to your penetration. A Magnus 2 or 4 blade or a Slick Trick will out penetrate say a Rage all day..

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
      Still trying to find the right weight of arrow to shoot. I asked this on another thread but have had no responses. I just added some weight to my arrows because I wanted more impact and penetration. I'm shooting a Halon 6 at 27" and 70lbs. All my arrows weight 553-555 grains total with 100 grain tips cut at 28". Now that i'm reading this maybe im way too heavy but I was recommended to try and get about 8 grains per lb of draw weight. Thats about 16 GPI. Am I way off shooting them this heavy? Shooting Easton Axis 340 spine arrows

They definitely thump the bag more than the 430ish I was shooting them at before but im sure there moving pretty slow compared to before.

How did you get a 27” 340 Axis over 550gr?

Comment

How are you adding weight to your arrows, if you're adding it to the point your arrows are going to be way to weak.

550grains at 70 lbs is pretty close to 8 grains per pound, which is a pretty good overall weight, with good trajectory.

Comment

Within reason you can never be too heavy IMO. 500-550 grains of TAW is pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
            How did you get a 27” 340 Axis over 550gr?
            14 gauge electric wire! Added 130 grains of it which is about 6 inches or so. Balances out fine with still more weight in the front
            Last edited by bcj jones; 03-14-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I may need to get down to about 500 grains. My short draw length is hindering me a little. Just went and shot at 40 and using an HHA optimizer lite I’m inching towards to top of the adjustment. Not even sure if there’s enough to get out to site it in at 60

Comment

The weight I’m adding is toward the rear of the arrow

Comment

The weight I’m adding is toward the rear of the arrow

What is your reasoning for adding weight to the rear of your shafts?

Comment

Comment

I hate arrows

This is the set up Troy sent me to try out.
                      All of the weight is in the front of the shafts,
                      Haven’t had a chance to hunt with them yet but my bows are much quieter and man do they whop my target!!

I shoot 70lbs and have a short draw length of 26.5”

Last edited by pigstika1978; 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! This is mostly just to try a heavier weight arrow. I’ve been playing around with different weights. He reason it’s towards the rear is solely because I can shove the end of the wire into the knock and not have it move around in the arrow shifting the weight. I’ll eventually do as you did and buy some brass inserts with some add on weight and put it all up front.

I know he makes fun of spine rating but once I find a good weight I may have to go down in spine rating
                        Last edited by bcj jones; 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! This is mostly just to try a heavier weight arrow. I’ve been playing around with different weights. He reason it’s towards the rear is solely because I can shove the end of the wire into the knock and not have it move around in the arrow shifting the weight. I’ll eventually do as you did and buy some brass inserts with some add on weight and put it all up front

There you go brother!
                          You won’t be disappointed[emoji1360]

Comment

I've added weight to arrows before by inserting a full length piece of Stihl .105 trimmer string. The balance point of the arrow remains about the same like that. I can't recall right now how much that stuff weighs per inch, but it increases arrow weight, and if you wanted to increase the weight less, you could use a smaller diameter string. I just checked, a 25 1/2 piece inserted into my Easton FMJ 250's increases the finished weight from 712 grains to about 780 grains. This with the 75 grain insert already in the front. These do hit hard, and the bow is very quiet. The downside is the trajectory..
                            Last edited by softpoint; 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Pig, what spine arrow you running?

Comment

Working...
                              X