School Me on Red/Green/Blue lights for night hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me on Red/Green/Blue lights for night hunting

I have never really gotten into hunting hogs a night, so never really payed attention. I just purchased a 350 lumen green LED light to mount on my AR. It works great and I can see through my scope like daylight.

Now I thought deer/hogs weren't supposed to notice. Everywhere you read about it. Every time I turn it on, animals get spooked, not as much as white light mind you, but enough to get nervous and walk away. Is it possible my light is too bright? Do they see shadows created by green/red/blue lights? Is it the abrupt change in lighting? Is one color better than the others?

SCHOOL ME!!!

My experience is the same. They don't like the light regardless of color. I'd be interested in finding one that comes on low and then slowly easedy up to full power. I will say that I have had enough time for a shot each time I used the light. Probably 2-3 seconds where the oig is like WTH?

Comment

I.R. or Thermal. But I do use red on my bow set ups. I have to bring it down on the hogs slowly. If they spook, shut it off immediately and wait for them to come back. Then repeat. The second they show signs of spooking, I shut it off. Then repeat. They will get used to it. Then I do it to check to see if they are in a shooting position, then shoot.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-14-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I can't school you but red works for me. Green seemed to spook the hogs more and blue for whatever reason hurts my eyes.

If you are hunting the same spot, over a feeder for example, I would go with a light mounted at the feeder, Sniper, EWT, landscape DIY, etc
        Set it up and give it a week and they will be used to it

Otherwise maybe dim the light on your gun down if possible

Comment

I've had similar results with both red and green. Much less with red.

My light had a focusable beam and a dimmer switch, Sniper Hawg light 66lrx.
          When I Scan with it:
          I usually start off with a wide beam and low power. I scan with the bottom edge of the just above the ground as I'm scanning the treeline. All I'm looking for is eyes.

If I see something in the open I want to check out I start the light on low, above it and slowly lower the beam on to it. If it starts acting skittish I raise the light. If it doesn't I slowly turn the brightness up until I can see my cross hairs.

I started shooting them in the head, once you fire the smoke from the shot will reflect the light into your scope washing it out and you won't be able to see. The same thing happens with a Digital NV Scope. Not sure about a thermal.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            I've had similar results with both red and green. Much less with red.

My light had a focusable beam and a dimmer switch, Sniper Hawg light 66lrx.
            When I Scan with it:
            I usually start off with a wide beam and low power. I scan with the bottom edge of the just above the ground as I'm scanning the treeline. All I'm looking for is eyes.

If I see something in the open I want to check out I start the light on low, above it and slowly lower the beam on to it. If it starts acting skittish I raise the light. If it doesn't I slowly turn the brightness up until I can see my cross hairs.

I started shooting them in the head, once you fire the smoke from the shot will reflect the light into your scope washing it out and you won't be able to see. The same thing happens with a Digital NV Scope. Not sure about a thermal.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
            Saved me a bunch of typing here. This plus what TG said pretty much sums it up. Feeder lights work too, but I don't like them as much.

Comment

Red has been most effective for me. Green works but I’ve seen things shy away from green. White can work well but you need it to be focusable and dimmable.

Comment

The see the shadows created by the lights

Comment

Red seems to work best from what I’ve seen.

Comment

I've had hogs completely ignore white and green LED lights. But I'm always high up in a tree. Have a pressure switch velcroed to my bow grip. My lights are 350 lumens Hogs are always in range and I'm at full draw when I turn on. Haven't had one spook yet. Maybe luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What everyone is saying is spot on, but the science behind it is this: most animals, including deer and hogs, are dichromates. Humans have 3 cones in each eye while swine only have 2. Animals with only 1 cone in their eyes see only black and white. As you can see, pigs fall in the middle. This means that while they are not colorblind, they struggle to see certain color wavelengths. Hogs can detect the color blue but struggle with colors on the green and red spectrum. Green is easier to see and red is closer to the verge of the end of the spectrum, so I would highly recommend red.

But, be warned... Just because they see red does NOT mean they will not spoke. They can still see the shadows the light casts... As well as the actually light being emitted from the flashlight. Talking about the diode. They still see the brightness, not necessarily the color.

Comment

I've had the same success (or lack thereof) with red and green. Never tried blue. At this point I just use a white light. Most hogs spook after being in the light for a second or two, and I shoot better/faster with a white light. I've also always got a white light with me when an opportunistic shot at a hog appears.

Comment

I have tried red and green and both spook the hogs, regardless of direction I move the light to them or speed, etc. I have put a white landscape light at my primary hog feeders and it took the hogs 3-4 nights before they were face-down in the corn.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            I can't school you but red works for me. Green seemed to spook the hogs more and blue for whatever reason hurts my eyes.

If you are hunting the same spot, over a feeder for example, I would go with a light mounted at the feeder, Sniper, EWT, landscape DIY, etc
                            Set it up and give it a week and they will be used to it

Otherwise maybe dim the light on your gun down if possible
                            I have a blue light, things look just flat strange in the blue light, I don't like to use it much.

Comment

I can’t see as far with my red but have far fewer animals spook with my red light vs my green light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X