No announcement yet.

Please age this jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably only see about a hundred deer jaws a year, so take that for what it's worth.....we cut every deer on the four ranches we hunt.

Add to that a thousand, maybe more, that I see on the hoof every year.

All that to say this.

I have no idea how old he is.....maybe in the 4-6 range.

But I always allow myself a margin of error of 2 years.

Final answer ---- somewhere between 3-8 years old.

I'm 70-80% certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      I probably only see about a hundred deer jaws a year, so take that for what it's worth.....we cut every deer on the four ranches we hunt.

Add to that a thousand, maybe more, that I see on the hoof every year.

All that to say this.

I have no idea how old he is.....maybe in the 4-6 range.

But I always allow myself a margin of error of 2 years.

Final answer ---- somewhere between 3-8 years old.

I'm 70-80% certain.

Yep that's what I think too. Maybe between 2 and 9 just to be safe.

Comment

I believe that y'all got it covered. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Comment

No matter the actual age, it’s easy to tell a mature buck from an immature buck if you either have enough of the right pics, or you’ve seen him on the hoof enough. When I say mature it means different things to me depending on where I’m hunting. At home, (80 acres) anything 4.5 or older is in trouble, that criteria also goes for the lease I’m on, at least for me, some of the others, any legal buck. In Trinity Co., if it ain’t a gagger, I ain’t shooting. I’ve let a dozen 4.5 year old bucks walk in the last four years, some of them were hard to pass.

Comment

Here's the jaw from the buck I shot. Are these good enough pics to help age him? Don't have any history of this buck. He came in grunting after a doe at the feeder when I had to make a quick decision. I thought when I shot him that he was another deer on the hit list.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
              Here's the jaw from the buck I shot. Are these good enough pics to help age him? Don't have any history of this buck. He came in grunting after a doe at the feeder when I had to make a quick decision. I thought when I shot him that he was another deer on the hit list
              Is this the deer that only had two back molars?

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Is this the deer that only had two back molars?
                That's what we thought. When feeling in its jaw, didn't know that the teeth started that far back.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                    Here's the jaw from the buck I shot. Are these good enough pics to help age him? Don't have any history of this buck. He came in grunting after a doe at the feeder when I had to make a quick decision. I thought when I shot him that he was another deer on the hit list.
                    the teeth still have a lot of peak to them, old old deer have no peak to them.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QXoPemYSE"]White-tailed Deer Jawbone Aging: Part 1 -- Tooth Replacement - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                    X