Best splitting axe / maul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best splitting axe / maul

Need to split quite a bit of live oak. Looking for a good splitting maul. What does the brain trust recommend? Budget around $50.

Fiskars X27 best affordable splitter around for the money.

Comment

I just went to Tractor supply, two weeks ago, needing a splitting wedge. Most of what they had that was cheap, was crap. The only ones I liked the look of were two Fiskars splitting wedges. I don't know what model I got, I know I got the one with the thinner blade, that comes with a cover for the blade or wedge. That thing goes through hickory like a hot knife through butter. The only wood I have ever split in my life was live oak, with a old single bladed ax, half the time I would need to come back with a sledge and drive the ax through the log. Basing things off of that experience, I figured the wedge with the thinner blade would sink deeper, so it would be less likely to go flying off the load, when I hit it with a sledge. I got a big surprise, no sledge needed, actually very little effort needed. Just a casual swing and that dang splitting wedge splits the logs in half and sends pieces flying left and right, like I was swinging with everything I had. I have been very impressed, much better than the old single bladed ax I used to use as a kid.

Also both Fiskars splitting wedges are the same price. The other wedge is obviously much heavier and much greater angle to the wedge, so it should do a good job of splitting the log. I did not choose it, because I figured with the extreme angle of the wedge it would not sink very deep in a log and likely not burry deep enough to stay put when I went to hit it with a sledge. But after using the one I got, I don't think you would ever need a sledge with either of the Fiskars splitting wedges, unless you were splitting petrified live oak, like we used to have when I was growing up.

Comment

Chopper 1 https://chopper1axe.com/chopper1-axe
        Unfortunately not in your budget
        Fiskar with a rubber handle

Comment

I think mine is husky brand from Home Depot. It is a pretty heavy splitter, but works great on mesquite. Haven’t tried it on oak.

Comment

My old ones are rusty, my new one has a Honda engine on it. I used to like to hand split when I was young. It was a challenge and good exercise. Now, not so much !

Comment

Live oak would be frustrating to split by hand, and I don’t think you can do a lot at once. You can rent a hydraulic splitter for a little more money and have it done in a day and your body will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                My old ones are rusty, my new one has a Honda engine on it. I used to like to hand split when I was young. It was a challenge and good exercise. Now, not so much !
                Still considering my self young and definitely need the exercise...I have a hard time working out when the goal is to just work out...when there is a pile of wood, a stack of hay or bunch of holes or posts...I seem to be more willing to work out...lol

Comment

Home Depot has one you can rent by the hour.

Comment

Fiskar X27

Comment

Fiskars.

You can get a cheap one and spend lots of time repro reprofiling to get a narrow edge and they will work ok. I got a fiskars after breaking many handles...could feel them bow and flex when you hit the log...not misstrikes. I swing pretty hard.

Got a fiskars and really like it. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                        Fiskars X27 best affordable splitter around for the money.
                        Yep. End the thread. I split a lot of live oak with it as well.

Comment

I wasn't a believer until I bought the Fiskars. Used a heavier splitting axe before and couldn't believe how much easier and quicker the Fiskars is

Comment

Monster maul. I have 2 of them. Eat your Wheaties, those things weigh 15 lbs. I have never hit but one block of wood that I couldn't handle with one. I've been using them for 35 years.

Comment

Working...
                            X