Pheasant Hunting in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Hunting in Kansas

Planning a long weekend trip with some buds to hit Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA) in Kansas. We are looking at January and plan to stay in Liberal, KS.

A couple of questions for the pheasant hunters in the group:

1. Can we expect decent bird numbers that late in the season on public land?

2. Hotel/Lodging recommendations? Will have 2 pups with us.

3. How do the bird numbers look in SW KS? I have read the annual reports, more looking for first/second hand observations in the area.

Cheers.

Airbnb that allows pets for lodging. I can't help with bird numbers but need to look into it as I'm planning something similar.

Comment

Interested what people have to say. Sorry I’m no help!

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
        Airbnb that allows pets for lodging. I can't help with bird numbers but need to look into it as I'm planning something similar.
        Not a ton out there on Airbnb or vrbo. Hotels are cheap though.

Comment

I think you'll do fine. There's a bunch this year. I hunt up around Liberal and Kismit when I hunt in Kansas. They had a good hatch this year.

There's plenty of places to choose from as far as hotels or motels go. Just depends how much you're want to pay.
          Last edited by okrattler; 11-06-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Dress warm. It will be cold in Jan with nothing to stop the wind, not even barbwire.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I think you'll do fine. There's a bunch this year. I hunt up around Liberal and Kismit when I hunt in Kansas. They had a good hatch this year.

There's plenty of places to choose from as far as hotels or motels go. Just depends how much you're want to pay.
              Thank you sir!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                Dress warm. It will be cold in Jan with nothing to stop the wind, not even barbwire.
                I believe it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                  Interested what people have to say. Sorry I’m no help!
                  I have to say this has me interested

Comment

Cold cold cold

But bird numbers are good this year.

Comment

January can be very cold and windy in Kansas. The birds will hold tight in the thick fence rows though. Need a good dog but can get good close shooting. When the sun comes out on cold days they will venture out to the open fields to eat. A little snow will make it easier on the dogs nose but may be harder walking especially if crunchy. Pheasant hunting rocks. Miss it.

Comment

Heading up there next weekend. We are staying in Liberal and hitting as much public ground as we can. Temps appear to be lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s and mostly sunny.

Comment

Go a mile North of Liberal like you're going towards Garden City and hang a left at the cemetery. There's some walk in hunting just off that blacktop about 6 or so miles ( roughly) off the highway.. There's more birds than you can shake a stick at in there. I walked that field one day and shot three in a row and jumped up a bunch more. We also ran about 5 mule deer and two coyotes out of there.

40 degrees won't be too bad since you'll be walking. If you wear a coat you'll probably be taking it off and wearing a long sleeved shirt after the first few fields. I never overdress when I'm walking. If you're blocking it'll be a little colder. The wind is what gets you.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 01-06-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I have a deer lease in western KS and own a house out there. For lodging look at the Dalton motel in Meade, KS. There is plenty of farmers that will let you hunt cut milo fields for free.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Anywhere good to eat in Liberal?

Comment

Working...
                              X