Raising Quail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Quail

I saw the other thread about quail, not wanting to highjack a thread, I'm thinking about raising quail to let out on the property. My Grandpa used to do it and always had a covey or two around his place, good memories and enjoyed watching and listening to them.
    Anyone here done this, if so, any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean bobwhites or blues, and the unfortunate fact is that pen-raised birds don't survive when released and will not make it to where you have a covey or two around. My last job was in quail management and we would get that question pretty often.

Comment

You would be wasting your time and money.

Comment

I met a guy that released birds before a few years ago. He was out of Rios, Tx. Big flight conditioning pens is what they recommend prior to releasing. Actually they were rolling pens. 40X60 netted pens that they would rotate every week to get the birds feed conditioned as well. The guy claimed he had a 30% survival rate. Don’t know how he got that number but I saw the birds and they were real flighty. He only released them a certain time of year but I forgot when.

Comment

I use to raise bobwhites. They won’t survive if you turn them loose. Maybe a couple will but 95% of them won’t last a month.

Comment

Like said it’s a complete waste. I’m not far from hidden lakes hunting preserve… they release 1000’s a year from the best flight pens designed…. No “wild” coveys have took. I’ve seen em standing in the road and you can walk up and catch em. Lol

I raised a ton when I was younger, they just don’t have “it”

Comment

Was talking with a hunting org that we use for planted bird hunts just last week.

On average, they place +50K quail (not including other birds, pheasant, chucks, etc.) per season. They have been doing this for +15-20 years.

If only 5% of those made it out alive, you would think they would start a local population, right?

Not the case. Let that sink in.

Posting #3 pretty much sums it up.

Comment

It can be done, but takes a lot of time, even more money, and lots of protected predator free land. The state(tpwd) raises birds and supplements populations every year with birds surviving, but these are brood stock.

In all honesty, you’re wasting your time and money if hoping some survive. If wanting to have them around to hear or shoot a few, put you 2 coveys in Desperate pens a little ways from each other and they’ll talk back and forth and you can eat a few every now and then.

Comment

This is indicative of most ground nesting birds. Turkey, pheasant, quail, chukar, .... **** prairie chicken (endangered and threatened) **** even in intensely managed areas. These types of birds are less adaptable than dodo birds.

I love quail hunting, they just ain't here no more.

Time to start thinking what 'Could' be here and start a replacement program. Get A&M to design some huntable super quailchuckpheasturkchick or something useful like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
                    I assume you mean bobwhites or blues, and the unfortunate fact is that pen-raised birds don't survive when released and will not make it to where you have a covey or two around. My last job was in quail management and we would get that question pretty often.
                    Then when found a way to do the impossible. As a coop we let 500 to 800 a year go for three straight years. Last time was year before covid. We still see many non native quail. By no means do I think all made it but I know some did. I can tell because they are twice as big as the native variety.

Comment

When I was a kiddo my buddy's dad raised them. Only he did not release. Once old enough he would snap their necks and clean them up for the oven.

It would be interesting if there was a way to take captive birds in an area that they wouldn't get killed off, and become wild.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        This is indicative of most ground nesting birds. Turkey, pheasant, quail, chukar, .... **** prairie chicken (endangered and threatened) **** even in intensely managed areas. These types of birds are less adaptable than dodo birds.

I love quail hunting, they just ain't here no more.

Time to start thinking what 'Could' be here and start a replacement program. Get A&M to design some huntable super quailchuckpheasturkchick or something useful like that...

if they can turn carrots maroon they can **** sure make us a super quailchuckpheasturkchick hybrid to hunt. they just need to introduce some of those flying pigs they are about to invent and create us some wild hogs that flush like wild quail.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                          if they can turn carrots maroon they can **** sure make us a super quailchuckpheasturkchick hybrid to hunt. they just need to introduce some of those flying pigs they are about to invent and create us some wild hogs that flush like wild quail.
                          Yep. Lol

Comment

And maroon "bluebonnets"

Comment

They are born looking for a place to die

Comment

Working...
                              X