.284 195 Berger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.284 195 Berger

Anyone running these out of a hotrod 7mm? 7 STW, 28 Nosler, 7 RUM, etc.

I am considering this combo for my next build and curious as to on game performance. I know what the Bergers are designed to do, but being this heavy for caliber, hoping to hear what kind of penetration folks are getting.

I’m running the 195s in the 28nos. It’s shoots lights out with a max load of reloder 33. I can’t say what it does on game, I haven’t killed anything with it yet. The combo sure bucks the wind though.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
      I’m running the 195s in the 28nos. It’s shoots lights out with a max load of reloder 33. I can’t say what it does on game, I haven’t killed anything with it yet. The combo sure bucks the wind though.
      What kind of velocity are you getting out of that load?

Comment

I’ve never seen an issue with any Berger’s and penetration, much less at 28 Nosler speeds with dang near 200 grains. If anything I’d be worried about penciling right through without expanding, but I doubt that’s the case.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
          What kind of velocity are you getting out of that load?
          Average velocity is 3022fps thru my lab radar.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            I’ve never seen an issue with any Berger’s and penetration, much less at 28 Nosler speeds with dang near 200 grains. If anything I’d be worried about penciling right through without expanding, but I doubt that’s the case.

In 40+ years of killing animals I have never seen a proper bullet “pencil through” an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              In 40+ years of killing animals I have never seen a proper bullet “pencil through” an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              What do you consider a proper bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                What do you consider a proper bullet?

Typical hunting Bullet.

I’ve not convinced myself to use match bullets for hunting although I know many people do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm running the 195's in a 28 Nosler at 2930 fps with Retumbo. Last December dropped a management buck with a shoulder shot right where he stood. Everything from the diaphragm forward was liquified.

That afternoon put a shot on a doe at 245 yards going for the "off switch" had it "pencil" through right below her spine. She stumbled a bit and started running towards us, dropped her at 175 with a follow up shot. I knew the first shot was good and my boss was watching her in the binos and he swears he saw the shot go in...was a perfect .284 hole on both sides, no blood or anything. Second shot had a quarter size exit wound. I can't claim the first shot was a bullet failure, but I can't rule it out either, in my mind at least.

First animal I killed with a 28 Nosler and the 195's was a Nilgai bull at just under 250 yards with my bosses rifle. The bull in my avatar pic actually. He went about 20 feet and dropped. That same rifle and load have taken several Nilgai, a Waterbuck and a big Canadian muley at 500 yards. That rifle inspired me to have my own APR Maverick built. I'm not giving up on the Bergers yet.

Comment

Originally posted by willieself View Post
                    I'm running the 195's in a 28 Nosler at 2930 fps with Retumbo. Last December dropped a management buck with a shoulder shot right where he stood. Everything from the diaphragm forward was liquified.

That afternoon put a shot on a doe at 245 yards going for the "off switch" had it "pencil" through right below her spine. She stumbled a bit and started running towards us, dropped her at 175 with a follow up shot. I knew the first shot was good and my boss was watching her in the binos and he swears he saw the shot go in...was a perfect .284 hole on both sides, no blood or anything. Second shot had a quarter size exit wound. I can't claim the first shot was a bullet failure, but I can't rule it out either, in my mind at least.

First animal I killed with a 28 Nosler and the 195's was a Nilgai bull at just under 250 yards with my bosses rifle. The bull in my avatar pic actually. He went about 20 feet and dropped. That same rifle and load have taken several Nilgai, a Waterbuck and a big Canadian muley at 500 yards. That rifle inspired me to have my own APR Maverick built. I'm not giving up on the Bergers yet.
                    Not a Bullet failure. You gotta hit something fairly solid to open them up. This is why Berger got a bad name years ago. Folks shooting light thin skinned critters with em and they’d pencil through. Middle of shoulder or high shoulder and they are violent.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Not a Bullet failure. You gotta hit something fairly solid to open them up. This is why Berger got a bad name years ago. Folks shooting light thin skinned critters with em and they’d pencil through. Middle of shoulder or high shoulder and they are violent.

C’mon you rookie. He said he shot for the off switch which is high shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        C’mon you rookie. He said he shot for the off switch which is high shoulder.

Right. And missed the mark hitting below the spine. It’s not a fool proof shot. Remember that big *** axis I hit that lived? High shoulder but I pulled it a couple inches back. It happens. That was with that stupid 200 ELDX though

Comment

Right. And missed the mark hitting below the spine. It’s not a fool proof shot. Remember that big *** axis I hit that lived? High shoulder but I pulled it a couple inches back. It happens. That was with that stupid 200 ELDX though
                          Sounds like you ain’t a fan of that ELD-X lol. You have bad experiences with them? Was considering that bullet in 162 for my .280ai.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                            Sounds like you ain’t a fan of that ELD-X lol. You have bad experiences with them? Was considering that bullet in 162 for my .280ai.
                            I had pretty well zero expansion with 200s in my 300 win mag. Factory ammo. Nilgai and 3 axis. All were good shots and killed the critter except one. My fault and it was assumed it didn’t expand. However it was my fault. The others were hammered. No expansion. I’ve heard the same from lots of folks. I’m a fan of bergers. 180 hunting VLD and hybrids. They are downright dirty on critters. Shot 185s out of my 300 for a few years. They’ll rock a big muley

Fool proof hunting Bullet….accubond.

Comment

I had pretty well zero expansion with 200s in my 300 win mag. Factory ammo. Nilgai and 3 axis. All were good shots and killed the critter except one. My fault and it was assumed it didn’t expand. However it was my fault. The others were hammered. No expansion. I’ve heard the same from lots of folks. I’m a fan of bergers. 180 hunting VLD and hybrids. They are downright dirty on critters. Shot 185s out of my 300 for a few years. They’ll rock a big muley

Fool proof hunting Bullet….accubond.
                              Oh I could not agree more about the Accubond. They are without question my favorite hunting bullet on the planet. I have been shooting 140gr Accubonds from copper creek in my 280ai for several years. Copper Creek has been out of them for a long time and they have no idea when they will have them again. My FIL has a few boxes of factory loaded 162 Eldx so was considering giving them a try until Brandon is outta the white house and copper creek can get components again… lol

Comment

Working...
                              X