Need recommendation for kitchen knives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recommendation for kitchen knives!

My wife and I are buying ourselves a set of knives for Christmas. I am absolutely tired of sharpening my kitchen knives.

Wants:
    Dishwasher safe
    Includes block
    Includes steak knives
    Keep a darn edge!!

Cutco’s are nice but I had a bit of sticker shock. $2000 for a knife set is a bit high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dishwasher safe is going to be a hard one for top quality knives.

Comment

I actually got this set as a wedding gift and it’s not bad. Steak knives are okay, bigger blades hold an edge fairly well and sharpen up real easy.

Read reviews and buy HENCKELS Solution Razor-Sharp 15-pc Knife Set, German Engineered Informed by 100+ Years of Mastery, Chefs Knife at Target. Choose from contactless Same Day Delivery, Drive Up and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get along fine with Chicago Cutlery set. Had it for 30 years, but it's wooden handles, prolly not dishwasher recommended. Although my wife throws them in sink of hot soapy water. None damaged yet.

Comment

Quite a few good brands out there. For good quality, I’d expect to pay a minimum of $500-$700 for a set. Once you get in that range, pick your poison. Won’t be cream of the crop but far from junk.

Comment

I just read an article on rating kitchen knives, I believe it was by Epicurious. The winner was a brand called MAC Knife. They’re purported to be high-quality steel (so, sharp), ergonomic for balance, etc.,etc. I have never heard of them and never used them so this is no testimonial. Just thought I’d pass it along.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              I just read an article on rating kitchen knives, I believe it was by Epicurious. The winner was a brand called MAC Knife. They’re purported to be high-quality steel (so, sharp), ergonomic for balance, etc.,etc. I have never heard of them and never used them so this is no testimonial. Just thought I’d pass it along.
              Thanks i just looked them up and started reading. That 4 knife set of the original for a little over 200.00 was not bad. I'm impressed.

Comment

quick way to ruin the edge of any knife is to put it in the dishwasher

Comment

I have a set of JA Henckels Classic knives. I have had them about 5-6 years and they are fantastic. Steak knives are great and the paring and butcher knives hold an unbelievable edge. I may sharpen them twice a year and that’s it.

Example of how hard they are. About two months ago my wife knocked the 5” paring knife of the counter and it hit her foot with the point of the blade down and it in went in about 1/2”. Cut her pretty dang good. I had sharpened that knife 3 weeks before hand and it had been used since daily

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                    quick way to ruin the edge of any knife is to put it in the dishwasher
                    Apparently, that’s why he’s always having to resharpen them!

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Wants:
                      Dishwasher safe
                      Includes block
                      Includes steak knives
                      Keep a darn edge!!
                      You know the old saying, "You can want in one hand and crap in the other, guess which one will fill up first".

If you want a knife that holds an edge, buy a quality set and NEVER put them in the dishwasher. The same abrasives that clean grime off your dinner plates and baking pans will dull a knife, quickly. The high heat of a rinse and dry will warp or crack your handles.

Wusthof knives have served us well over the years. I prefer the Santoku blades myself. Buy a good honing steel to go along with them and learn how to touch them up as needed. And KEEP THEM OUT OF THE DISHWASHER

Comment

My next set of knives, I need to contact one of the grocery stores that make the boot in the carts wheel that won’t let it leave the parking lot. But make it where my old lady can’t put them in the dishwasher.

I can’t get through to her not to put em in.

Comment

Cutco are a lot but worth it. (buy once cry once) I have had a set for 25 years, back then they where $700. They have a great guarantee.

We went on vacation for two weeks so the wife said we should send our Cutco knifes in to get sharpen, this would be the first time in 25 years that we did this. We have 17 knifes, they got back to our house the day after we got back. Cutco only sharpen 5 of the knifes the other 12 they replaced with brand new ones. All that for the cost of shipping both ways and that was about $30.00 total.

You can always look for a used set on ebay and send them in for the guarantee.

This is the set we have.
                          Last edited by Bassdeer; 12-01-2021, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I bought 4 CUTCO at a Garage sale for $2.00 each...Looked like new just kia dull sent to Cutco had free sharping and walla...THEY Been GREAT...Definitely my best GS find ever!!!!

Comment

Wusthof here as well. I find them in the dishwasher after wife cooks regularly. I run them over a sharpener about once a month. But we use them a lot

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X