Quick Colorado trip idea needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Colorado trip idea needed

A guy at work has never been to Colorado, never been out of Texas for that matter. We were BSing at work and I told him it’s only 1000 miles to Pueblo. So now the trip is more serious as he wants to go. I am more than game as I love road trips. Plan is take a 2 days vacation backed up on a weekend. So what in Co. makes for a cool spot to visit? I used to drive all over Co. when I drove 48 state but that was many years ago. Any ideas?

it sure aint Pueblo.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
      it sure aint Pueblo.
      I agree, it was a reference point for mileage. I always thought it was a dirty place. I used to haul RR car parts there from Laredo

Comment

Durango is BEAUTIFUL this time of year...

Comment

How about Cuchara area?

Comment

Durango, Pagosa, wolf creek pass, south fork, Trinidad, Raton pass New Mexico then back home

Comment

Cuchara is gorgeous and not too far into CO.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                Durango, Pagosa, wolf creek pass, south fork, Trinidad, Raton pass New Mexico then back home
                Should have read all the posts…..these are all good choices

Comment

Pagosa is about the closest cool destination IMO.

Comment

Woodland Park is a decent spot that’s not much further than Pueblo and way more to do. Not far outside Colorado Springs. Close to Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and Cave of the Winds, and have great fly fishing nearby (call South Platte Fly Shop to check availability for a guided trip at Deckers or Dream Stream). We just flew to CO springs on Southwest for $138 round trip…were planning to drive but that was just too cheap.
                    Last edited by CWP; 10-11-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods. All of these are south of Denver.

Comment

Just made that exact drive on our way home from Utah 3 days ago. Colors are awesome right now. Raton pass is under construction. Ate a great dinner at Ramones in South Fork.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                          it sure aint Pueblo.
                          Funny. We were in Colorado last week for my youngest daughter's wedding. My oldest daughter drove up and spent the night in Pueblo. She said it was a dump.

As others have mentioned, Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs is nice. The fall colors are at peak right now once you get into the mountains. There are lots of hiking for people of different fitness levels. Garden of The Gods is flat and low elevation, so it is easy. We did a hike to the Devil's Causeway near Yampa and it was hard with the distance, steepness and high altitude. You can also hike most ski slopes since most ski resorts use National Forest land but they tend to be steep since they are ski slopes.

Due to Covid, Rocky Mountain National Park and some of the hot springs are limiting access. If you are planning to do any activities that involve controlled access you will need to plan ahead.

Comment

This.

Comment

Working...
                            X