Pulling a Travel Trailer with a Half ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling a Travel Trailer with a Half ton

Thinking about getting rid of my diesel and down sizing my travel trailer. I can not Justify having a big trailer anymore since the kids are getting older. So who on here pulls a 24ft to 28ft travel trailer with a half ton truck and how does it perform? I haven't had a gas truck since 2011 so I'm just looking for imput into half ton.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
    Thinking about getting rid of my diesel and down sizing my travel trailer. I can not Justify having a big trailer anymore since the kids are getting older. So who on here pulls a 24ft to 28ft travel trailer with a half ton truck and how does it perform? I haven't had a gas truck since 2011 so I'm just looking for imput into half ton.

I pull a 24 foot at 5k lbs with a 2021 ram 1400 with the v8. Plenty of power thats never an issue but I can definitely feel it back there stability wise. I get about 8 or 9 mpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bout a 26’ travel trailer in May and went in 5 trips so far pulling it with my 1/2 ton. Spent the extra coin on a good leveling/anti-sway hitch.

Comment

I’ve always pulled my travel trailers with a 1/2 ton. Currently have a 32’ ultra lite. I don’t travel all over with this one. Pulling isn’t the problem, stopping in a hurry is. And I only get 8-9 miles per gallon.

Comment

We have a 25 ft apex ultra lite,pull it with a 5.7 Toyota Tundra. Pulls great,ok gas mileage.

Comment

Put air bags on the truck from the very start. Can a 1/2 ton pull it safely? Yes no problem. Transitioning from 3/4 ton diesel to the 1/2 ton stability is hard to get used to.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info.

Comment

Following

I rent one about 3-4 times a year and pull it with my F150. I usually rent 26-28ft and the weight is 5500-6500lbs. It can be done, but they do have a little sway from time to time.

Comment

If you already have a diesel, why downsize to a half-ton (unless it's a dually)? There's a huge difference in stability and ability while towing a huge, heavy rectangular object, 65+ mph down the highway. I can see downsizing to a half-ton if you were getting rid of the camper and not towing one at all, but I promise you, you're going to have many more "pucker factors" happen with towing a camper 4k lbs+ with a half-ton. Yes, "It Can" tow it is A LOT different than comfort and stability WHILE towing it.

To Add, you will also be limiting your payload in the tow vehicle and won't be able to pack as much or any at all (if your wife is like mine) or load extra gear in the bed of a half ton while towing a 24'+ camper because you'll most likely already be at or over GVW of the half-ton

Comment

im following this...im currently looking at a 29 footer behind a half ton and thinking it may be a task to move it...im not planning to drag it all over the state for camping as much as to a deer lease but the mrs. has the great plan that we can use it "here and there" in between

Comment

You'll have plenty of power. What you'll miss is the frame, suspension, and brakes of the heavier truck. Have you looked at a 250/2500 with a gasser? I'm very happy with my Ram 2500 and 6.4 Hemi.

LWD

Comment

Just be careful. I have heard of people going over there GVWR and getting in an accident and insurance not covering it and the other party pursuing criminal and civil lawsuits.

Comment

I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and don’t even know it’s back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                            I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and don’t even know it’s back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.

This^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I pull a 27' hitch to bumper with a Titan Pro4X with a WDH and have no problems. I have Sumo Springs on the rear of the Titan replacing the original bumps. Properly set up hitch and no squat.

Comment

Working...
                              X