Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Champlaya7 View Post
    I'm sure you came out with a few scratches n thorns too! LOL
    Actually, not so much. The place has really grown up in the past 23 years. Back when I started hunting it, it was still open in a lot of areas - old field that had been let go. Many of those areas are now thick in trees, but some are still open. The middle of Nails is, or was, surprisingly open back then. I don't remember nearly as much ragweed back then as we see now though. A few years ago, you could get lost just from the ragweed alone. It was insane. I'd come out with a covering of yellow ragweed pollen.

Comment

Nails Creek - Cedar Creek bucks

I tried to upload l10-12 pics and just 3 made it...tsk tsk
      Attached Files

Comment

Rack, I swear you post those just to draw more hunters to the public area so they can push more deer onto your place. LOL. Nice strategy!

You can have all the bucks you want. Just as long as a few does walk under my stand, I'll be one happy camper.

Went out and checked cam's yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary, except fewer deer on the same cams in the same places, than this time last year.

One thing is for sure, the rubberneckers along CR 124 on the South end of Yegua haven't gone anywhere. I swear I can't sit on that road for more than 10 minutes before another vehicle comes creeping down the road at 10 mph (or less). I have no idea what they are doing, but they are consistent.

Comment

Doing some last minute Yegua Creek scouting this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where to park?

Comment

Doing some last minute Yegua Creek scouting this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where to park?

Comment

Newcomer to the area - getting a late start on scouting but looking forward to getting out there this weekend to look around. I have the maps and it looks like there are 2 separate areas for hunting - are they both bow areas, or is only the South area allowed for bow season?

Comment

Yes, both archery only. Yegua up North and Nails down South. Both have deer and both are ridiculously crowded this year.

I went out today to pull cards and this is the 2nd time this year I have pictures of people on my cameras. That's never happened to me before in either of these areas. The place is getting to be overrun with people.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R.Rockbowhunt View Post
                  If I had the option, I'd probably come in from the North side of Yegua, as it is the least traveled of all the public roads. The South road on Yegua is more like a parade of cars, with many traveling along at 5 mph rubbernecking through the unit.

Comment

Good luck at Somerville. I sent you a pm.

Comment

Sorry to hear that John, hopefully they just passed through and you won't see them again. We know you got like 5 different set ups out there tho hahaha

Comment

More like 50.

I'm not worried about hunting a spot where nobody has been. I have several of those and I can set up in a new tree with less than a half hour of prep if need be. Just disappointing at how crowded the place is becoming. I've had trail cams set up in the two spots that got walked in on for years now, and never have had anyone walk by them. Now, two weeks in a row, guys are walking through these areas which tells me there are either more people out there hunting, or they are watching where I park and following me in. I suspect one group went and "scouted" an area after I told them I was hunting there. Love it when that happens.

The dude with the yellow cap on waved at the camera so I know they know it's there. I guess I should be happy they didn't take it (why I don't put $300 trail cams out on public land) and yea, they will probably leave that spot alone if they are reasonable folks.

This was a spot I was scouting for my daughter, who will only hunt out of a pop-up blind with me.
                        Last edited by Limbwalker; 09-28-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                          Rack, I swear you post those just to draw more hunters to the public area so they can push more deer onto your place. LOL. Nice strategy!

You can have all the bucks you want. Just as long as a few does walk under my stand, I'll be one happy camper.

Went out and checked cam's yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary, except fewer deer on the same cams in the same places, than this time last year.

One thing is for sure, the rubberneckers along CR 124 on the South end of Yegua haven't gone anywhere. I swear I can't sit on that road for more than 10 minutes before another vehicle comes creeping down the road at 10 mph (or less). I have no idea what they are doing, but they are consistent.

Lol actually I post pics of the bucks to those bucks imprinted in yallls memories so if seen, without hesitation ya'll with harvest them during October...getting them away from me so those ole solitary nocturnal top end prizes will come around...

Comment

So unless I'm missing something, the small game seasons start up Nov. 1, which means we may not have to wear hunter orange until then. Anyone else know any different? I've asked the staff via email for clarification.

Comment

Nice evening sit, but while reviewing trail cam pics after settling into my stand, I realized I had not one, but TWO people walk by my trail cam just today. Good grief the place is jam packed these days. Before this year, I've never had a single hunter on any of my game cams. This year alone, I've had six.

What I can't understand is why one dude was walking around at 8:08 a.m. this morning. Who does that?

Still managed to see a few, but I'm not sure how. They avoided the trail where the two hunters walked through. Got right to it, then stopped and turned around.

Maybe next time. I'll be glad when the opening weekend crowd thins out. Gonna have to hunt mid-week.

Anyone connect today?
                              Last edited by Limbwalker; 10-03-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                                I'll be glad when the opening weekend crowd thins out. Gonna have to hunt mid-week.
                                I'm thinking the same....

Comment

Working...
                                X