No announcement yet.

"Official" Somerville 2013-2014 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, if they based the draw on years on the ground, I wouldn't complain. ha, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
      Be nice fellas. Last thing we need on an area as small as S'ville is a feud among ourselves. There's plenty of room out there so long as everyone is considerate of one another.

Hopefully, you all will be able to make it to the meeting this evening. I'm looking forward to it, although I have to admit I'm a bit nervous that changes may be on the way.

As much pressure as S'ville has seen the past couple of years, it wouldn't surprise me if they have discussed making it a draw hunt. That would surely be a shame in some ways, but for those who did get drawn, would definitely increase the quality of the experience.

John
      I'm done. I would like to attend, but would never make it out there in time. Please post an update after the meeting.

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Well I decided to take my stand out of Granger. Will place it in the area I have determined to be thier panic room and hopefully the other hunters push them my way.

Comment

i still got some work to do tomorrow,get off work,head to somerville,find a alright spot and set a tree stand.ive been working to much to get the time to head out.if i cant find a nice spot ill prob just have to lose first weekend and go next week,so i dont brother no one..

Comment

Sorry to hear that union. But that's how it goes. Gotta pay the bills! S'ville ain't going nowhere.

If it makes you feel any better, when the surrounding landowners start gun hunting, it gets better on the public land Also, a lot of the opening weekender's are long gone too

Comment

So the public meeting hosted by TPWD tonight went well, I thought. Lots of good information passed along. I would have liked to have seen more hunters, but it was a weekday evening, and I'm not sure the word got out as well as it could have. I'm sure next year - if they have another meeting - there will be more in attendance.

John (new superintendent for both parks and public hunting area) made it clear that there will be a renewed effort to manage the public hunting area (making sure not to call it a WMA anymore, since it's no longer a WMA) by the park staff. Apparently, under the WMA label, the area was the responsibility of the wildlife division of TPWD, but under the new "public hunting area" label, it's now the responsibility of the park staff. I think this is a good thing, as they are right there to deal with it.

They addressed vehicle access roads, stands, trail cams, new rules regarding hunting with dogs (small game), bringing youth hunters with an adult APH permit holder, trespass livestock, using dogs to track downed game, and a number of other issues.

Hopefully some others who were there will chime in and fill in the blanks.

I asked about roads, and when or if they will be restricted to prevent off-road traffic. They said that in addition to maintaining the existing roads, they will be addressing some of the illegal off-road traffic with gates and vehicle barriers, which was music to my ears.

Oh yea, they also mentioned that cutting brush and trees is a no-no and that they had found some areas that had wide shooting lanes cleared. Hunters could be cited and have to pay restitution for the damaged vegetation in certain cases. Something to keep in mind.

They also mentioned that hunter orange must be worn at all times - even when in your stand or blind.

I'm glad I went. Good group of guys and women working around S'ville. The park police and game wardens are all very nice and approachable, which is great to see.

I've managed more than a few public meetings in my career, and I can tell you that they are never easy. So my hat goes off to them for making the effort and all staying late to visit with our small group of hunters.

John

Comment

Those of you talking about putting out stands are not going to place stands out and leave them are you?

Comment

I never leave stands out, but some folks do. There is a 72-hour rule for blinds and stands on Somerville.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                      I never leave stands out, but some folks do. There is a 72-hour rule for blinds and stands on Somerville.
                      That's what I was thinking

Comment

Jk, get you some spot and stalk WT! You been slaying the granger pigs. You have your permit. Hunt our public lands the way you want. Spot and stalk hunting is far less offensive than stealing stands.

Comment

I also attended the meeting , I have to say I believe all the changes mentioned last night will make Somerville a much better public hunting area. With the "new management" in control things are looking much better!!!

Comment

New to this forum, actually looking for a hunting partner , i live in somerville but have never hunted here, and as far as whitetail , will be my first hunt, at 47 im eager to learn,, dont let that scare ya off, everybody needs help sometime,, i build my own bows,, have a 63# osage hunter i built and am really looking to get meat this yr if possible. Lookin foreward to pics here.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                              New to this forum, actually looking for a hunting partner , i live in somerville but have never hunted here, and as far as whitetail , will be my first hunt, at 47 im eager to learn,, dont let that scare ya off, everybody needs help sometime,, i build my own bows,, have a 63# osage hunter i built and am really looking to get meat this yr if possible. Lookin foreward to pics here.
                              welcome brother,its cool to find a guy that makes his own bows.show some pics of them some time

Comment

quess im waiting till next week to put up my stand.
                                got the bow sighted in,
                                cleared work for the weekend,
                                and also got some awesome new bowhunter camo from
                                HUNTBROADSIDE.COM
                                but couldnt find the time to put up the one thing i needed
                                lol ill see yall next weekend

good luck boys and shoot strait

Comment

Working...
                                X