Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakes Whitney and Aquilla 2012-2013- lets go hunting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin good Fire Hunter. U need a hunting partner/trim carpenter???? Looks like you got plenty of wall space for "decorations" too!

HG

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Hunter View Post
      It's a 1/4 of a mile from an entry point and boat ramp.
      I think I no snouts where your at

Comment

Just found this site and I've gotta say I really like it. I've hunted Aquilla for years. One thing that did strike a nerve with me was the comments about stealing stuff from other hunters (feeders/stands/etc). Over the years, my brothers and I have had stands and cameras stolen and we've gotten a lot smarter about it. Now, it's almost as much fun for us to catch thieves as it is to hunt.

Something that's worked well for us is to always use a series of at least 3 cameras at each location. At least one of them will be from an elevated position, and one will be "factory finished". This is our decoy. The other two have been custom camoed up with fake leaves, vines, etc (found at crafts stores) and are even hard for us to find. Sure, it costs more money to do it this way, but over the years we've led the Hill County Sherriffs office to several houses and got 99% of our stuff recovered.

Guys, if we all did this, we'd at least have a lot fewer thieves walking among us. As for poeple hunting our spots, that's never been an issue. If I'm not there and you find my stand and want to sit it, I have no problem with it. It's public land, after all. But if someone tries to take or destroy some of my equipment, we have an issue.

We keep photos of everyone we capture on camera and try to say hi if we see you out there. So far, the Sherriffs department or the game warden have located the thieves before we have. But I'm sure one day we'll bump into one before them and that's gonna be a real fun day!

Sorry this was so long...especially for a first post, but like I said before, this subject really touches a nerve with me.

Comment

Good opening post Razor! Looking forward to actually getting a chance to hunt this year, might try without the boat since gas was making my wallet flat, strange. Like last year i tried overlaying the COE's maps onto google but their scale must be different than mine(using roads as reference they dont match) with the exception of specific area maps. Example B-2, (sorry to the B-2 hunters). Any that want these you need a printer and scanner since it is pdf format and from there its not difficult only time consuming. Good luck to all!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Texan you gonna try the contest again?

Comment

Ive been thinking about it, just not sure if ill be able to get the funds to you before opening day. Ill let you know soon.

Comment

Just a heads up corn at wal mart in wax is 10.97 for a 50# bag

Comment

When we aren't hunting we will probably have the smoker or something going. Feel free to stop in and say hi if you see my blue dodge.

Comment

I could use a spot to hang out and have lunch once in a while. Hung out with a couple of brothers that camped near my spot last few years and will be back... Sometimes I drive home, but an hour there and hour back is kinda silly if I don't have to and want to hunt mornin n evenin. We even had some target contests that were fun and the loser had to buy the brkfast biscuits in the mornin.
                    I'm ready to get out there and ready for this heat to let up! I'll see somayall soon. Most all yall I've encountered out there have been some good ole boys and I've had some real good times in the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Hunter View Post
                      When we aren't hunting we will probably have the smoker or something going. Feel free to stop in and say hi if you see my blue dodge.
                      Let me no when your down here

Comment

I'm already dreaming about Sep 1. Its the beggining of many seasons, all of which i will hunt. And I intend to do much better than my first season, last year. Had a lease for the year but found out last week that the guy that was giving up his spot decided to stay on for another year. But I'm not dissapointed, to get a deer on public land would be much more satisfying than the tree stand and trained deer. And when I do, I will tell you that is the first deer I ever took and it was took with a bow and arrow on public land and that is no easy feat. Kudos to you guys on the GS that fet to use some tags, it took work

Comment

We are going to be there probably every weekend trying to get it finished before the start of season. So if I'm not at the station I will be there.

Comment

Firehunter pm me when your there and I'll go out there and check it out and help ya if ya need it

Comment

Will do

Comment

If anyone is free there are a bunch of people down at mccown camping now till Monday. We got lots of deer meat and beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X