No announcement yet.

LBJ Grasslands 2012 Hunting Seasons Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only had someone shoot over my head or in my direction twice in 7 years or so. It's safe on LBJ, but there are no deer left out there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
      It's safe on LBJ, but there are no deer left out there anyway.
      ^This is true...I just go out there to watch the squirrels run around...and its hard to call yourself a bowhunter when you are sitting at home!!!

Comment

we need rain!!! Wise county is pretty dry and most of the ponds on LBJ are starting to dry up again like last year...usually means acorns will be scarce or drop early...anyone been out scouting or everyone hiding in the A/C like me?

Comment

7:30 am, July 11 2012 - 79 days, 16 hours, 25 min. until deer season.

Comment

let the count down begin!

Comment

Originally posted by basscast View Post
              7:30 am, July 11 2012 - 79 days, 16 hours, 25 min. until deer season.
              Nice...seems so far off, but it will be here before your know it boys and girls...if your not already, this would be a great time to get out and get some practice in and find out what gear needs some attention

Comment

Anyone been up scouting yet?

Comment

I've been poking around for the good part of a month. No bucks seen as of yet, and just about every doe I have seen has a fawn. It's getting hot out, gonna have to start going in the mornings now. From anyones experience, if you are seening does in an area now, that doesn't mean they will be there later... or just because there are no bucks around as of yet doesn't mean they wont be coming around later in the year or during rut? Is this a good assumption? Also what are your thoughts about cattle and deer intereaction... since it seems that all LBJ is leased out to cattle ranchers also?

Comment

cows...lots and lots of cows

Comment

Originally posted by DEERTRACKER View Post
                      I've been poking around for the good part of a month. No bucks seen as of yet, and just about every doe I have seen has a fawn. It's getting hot out, gonna have to start going in the mornings now. From anyones experience, if you are seening does in an area now, that doesn't mean they will be there later... or just because there are no bucks around as of yet doesn't mean they wont be coming around later in the year or during rut? Is this a good assumption? Also what are your thoughts about cattle and deer intereaction... since it seems that all LBJ is leased out to cattle ranchers also?
                      good question.... anyone have an answer

Comment

Cows don't bother the deer, last season i shot 2 deer 2 hours apart with the cows around. Another time last season a hot doe and buck charged out of the woods right thru the middle of the cows. Don't like em right under me but nearby is no issue. Also the cows create easy walking trails that the deer definitely use also.

Comment

I've been out quite a few times this year already (scouting is very important to me). I saw a lot of dear the past few weeks, a couple 130+ bucks and countless does. But they've seemed to taper off lately. Getting hot. Drive early to see deer and walk the heat to hang cameras. Anyone have any good pictures?

Comment

Silly question, but are there any fees or anything else I should be concerned about to hunt LBJ? Also I've never hunted hogs before, any advice on where and when to go?

Thanks

Comment

No fees to hunt up there just need your license and your hunter safety card. Hogs are few and far between up there.

Comment

Thanks Texas bound. What about parking? I'm looking at the map, and I don't see any parking designation... http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...fswdev3_008440

Comment

Working...
                                X